What A Day.

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
Started out by being knocked by the postman bearing cake.
The offy gave me some free beer.
New washer arrived after a three week wait and a strop in Tesco.
The cobbler was in a cheerful mood. ( Trust me thats newsworthy)
Now its not 1.30pm yet and its getting dark already.

Hows your day been?

bearing gifts

Well washer, cake and beer are nice gifts I suspect you would struggle knowing what to with Frankincense and Myrrh . As for Gold well there's only one thing to do with that .......... Watch LOTSW plentifully scattered across the station's schedule!

Cake what cake? :hungry: :35:
I don't drink :35: but hey its free :16:

And Gold is always good :D

We said goodbye to daughter and kids who are moving out of state. Dealt with a territorial cat who has sprayed in the house thanks to a new kitten. Kitten was a stray who needed us. The other cat sometimes plays with her and sometimes hisses.

Better get the kitten fixed when it's old enough. Or else, you'll have lots of "copies" beginning to appear.

Dreadful cold, cough et cetera finally abating.

Hurrah!

Have also started moving stuff around ready for revamp - old wardrobe made it down the stairs (in two pieces) and now all in one piece again as it is being collected Monday for Furniture project.

That is good.

Now time for rest ....

Started out by being knocked by the postman bearing cake.
The offy gave me some free beer.
New washer arrived after a three week wait and a strop in Tesco.
The cobbler was in a cheerful mood. ( Trust me thats newsworthy)
Now its not 1.30pm yet and its getting dark already.

Hows your day been?

Okay, I take it that:
Being knocked means the postman knocked on the door,
The off-licence gave you some free beer,
A strop is a dressing down, and
and the cobbler is a shoe repairman?

My day was made with the news that husband's social security has been increased.

My day was made with the news that husband's social security has been increased.

Am I correct in thinking that the term 'Social Security' has a different meaning in the UK than in the US? In the States, it's a Federal retirement insurance system that all workers pay into with a deduction from each pay check and can begin drawing on at a reduced rate if they retire at age 62 or full rate with retirement at progressively older ages depending on birth year.

But I've seen UK apartment for rent ads that specify 'no SSI' and I've been told by UK natives that SSI stands for Social Security.

Marianna

Okay, I take it that:
Being knocked means the postman knocked on the door,
The off-licence gave you some free beer,
A strop is a dressing down, and
and the cobbler is a shoe repairman?

Being knocked up means I was in bed when the postman knocked so had to get up.
A strop usually means a tantrum
And yes a cobbler is a shoe repairers.

Index landlords usually say no housing benefit claimants because the social security are notorious for late payments or can stop payments willy nilly and it takes ages to reply therefor leaving the landlord with no or only part rent for weeks or months. Most housing benefit is paid directly to the landlord so its a bit of a pain in derriere for them.

Being knocked up means I was in bed when the postman knocked so had to get up.

In the States, at least in my region, 'Knocked up' means pregnant, usually young and unmarried, as well.

Index landlords usually say no housing benefit claimants because the social security are notorious for late payments or can stop payments willy nilly and it takes ages to reply therefor leaving the landlord with no or only part rent for weeks or months. Most housing benefit is paid directly to the landlord so its a bit of a pain in derriere for them.

So if a prospective landlord in the UK were approached by an American retiree wanting to rent, and the landlord asked what the American's income sources were, it would be necessary to explain that US Social Security is a completely different concept. It isn't even a fixed income, as we get an annual cost of living increase if inflation has been sufficient to warrant it.

Marianna

explain that US Social Security is a completely different concept. It isn't even a fixed income, as we get an annual cost of living increase if inflation has been sufficient to warrant it.

Yeah, but it rarely is sufficient. Not sure I have ever received
a noticeable increase.

Yeah, but it rarely is sufficient. Not sure I have ever received
a noticeable increase.

And if there is an increase, the Medicare premium increases by the same percentage. On the other hand, I'm not going to complain about the very low inflation rate even though it has kept the Social Security cost of living increases low or non-existent.

Marianna

In the States, at least in my region, 'Knocked up' means pregnant, usually young and unmarried, as well.

Marianna

Well I have to admit I've been all three but if the postman is bearing cake I'll go for that one anyday :D

And if there is an increase, the Medicare premium increases by the same percentage. On the other hand, I'm not going to complain about the very low inflation rate even though it has kept the Social Security cost of living increases low or non-existent.

Marianna

I have a small works pension as well as my State Benefit. If my works pension increases my State Benefit go's down. Last year I actually came out 35p per week to the good!! :42:

I have a small works pension as well as my State Benefit. If my works pension increases my State Benefit go's down. Last year I actually came out 35p per week to the good!! :42:

10p more than my dad!!

There's another word that every time I hear the word "quack" in reference to a doctor on a UK TV show I have to smile. Over here, a quack is a doctor who is known to be a bad (or worse) doctor. Over there, apparently a quack is just a doctor.

There's another word that every time I hear the word "quack" in reference to a doctor on a UK TV show I have to smile. Over here, a quack is a doctor who is known to be a bad (or worse) doctor. Over there, apparently a quack is just a doctor.

Or possibly the term expresses a mistrust of the entire medical profession.

Marianna

Back