Worst Episode

But worst of all .... Kathy Staff has died, but
we are told that Nora Batty has gone to Australia.

So Compo gets three episodes in which to die.

Nora gets nil.

rip off!

I agree, although i always thought in retrospect, all of the cast members that passed away should have had some form of farewell included in the show.
We have seen episodes where the trio would attend the funerals of fictional people such as "slasher" and the episode where Compo loses his ferret.

So i recon it was an own goal, not to have a decent send off for Sid, Wally and certainly Foggy and Nora, just think what mayhem the trio could have caused at those funerals.
When Kathy died, i think that it could have been a good move to have had an episode where her sister has got the sad news and is in the cafe, telling Ivy and maybe pearl, then the trio walk in and Ivy has to tell them.

We can all be armchair scriptwriters i suppose, so how that news would have affected Compo, well, we will never know but i'm sure it would have been an interesting one.

G ; )

This is exactly what I have been feeling for years...it's totally unfair

I also found the last episode to be very weak. I don't normally like saying bad things about the show but as it was asked.....

The episode could and should have been much, much more than what it turned out to be.

The comments about Ivy's absence are pertinent, I think it would have been beneficial to the episode if she had been in it.

It ultimately as Barmpot says, left alot of loose ends which tantalisingly left unanswered questions.

I understand what you are all saying but you also have to understand that most if not all of these actors are old. Sickness etc comes along with age and this disrupts filming. It is amazing how they never got sick all together at the same time. The show has to work around them.

Personaly, i never really clicked with the final series, too much emphasis on Pearl chucking Howard out and Hobbo and his crew trying to get him back with her.
In fact, i never really enjoyed most of the Hobbo episodes, i think he would have been better as a "one off" guest, like Bobby Ball and Tommy Cannon, etc.
Also, not to include Ivy in the final episode was a shame, although if she was poorly at the time, then it's understandable.

G ; )

Part of me wants to stay out of this thread because it has a bit of a negative side but I recently watched A Quiet Drink on the new American station, WETA-UK. This made me think of this thread.

Now I am not going to criticize any specific era of the show. I recently went through the Blamire years on another station and develop a strong liking than before of this time. Short Back and Palais Glide, Pate and Chips, and Wind Instruments are among the all time classics.

However, Series 2 had a stretch with Some Enchanted Evening and A Quiet Drink. These are perhaps my least two episodes. (Another here made a comment about Northern Flying Circus but I didn't catch it). I just recall Enchanted Evening being way to slow and Quiet Drink just didn't work. I think The Blamire years at times were experimental for Clarke. The odd thing about Quiet Drink is it seemed that the focus was split in half between the trio (a good thing) and guests that just weren't good.

The odd thing to me is these two episodes were aired between Rural Blamire and Wind Instruments and Canoe which are great.

A quiet drink isn't one that I choose to watch very often either to be honest.

Back