Worst Episode

Can I just add Extra! Extra! to this list. If ever an episode was made just for the sake of it, this was it.

On worst episode I would think that the last three of 21st series and quite a few of the 22nd series would feature highly - possibly "Some vans can make you deaf" ....

The bandit from Stroke-on-Trent - I didn't like that Foggy looked sad.
I didn't really like the episodes with Tom, Mrs. Avery & Babs.

I think if you look at each era of the programme, I think these episodes would be the worst

In the Blamire era I think the worst episode would be Some Enchanted Evening or Northern Flying Circus
In the Seymour era I think the worst episode would be The Experiment
In the Foggy era the worst episode would be Cash Flow Problems or Captain Clutterbuck's Treasure
In the Truly era the worst episode would have to come from the time that Mrs Avery is introduced as a character. I really don't think these episodes are well written and are over the top in their nature especially the Waggoners Roll and Some Vans Can Make You Deaf.

I think if you look at each era of the programme, I think these episodes would be the worst

In the Blamire era I think the worst episode would be Some Enchanted Evening or Northern Flying Circus
In the Seymour era I think the worst episode would be The Experiment
In the Foggy era the worst episode would be Cash Flow Problems or Captain Clutterbuck's Treasure
In the Truly era the worst episode would have to come from the time that Mrs Avery is introduced as a character. I really don't think these episodes are well written and are over the top in their nature especially the Waggoners Roll and Some Vans Can Make You Deaf.

apart from captain Clutterbuck, which I quite like, I agree with every word of this post

apart from captain Clutterbuck, which I quite like, I agree with every word of this post

Nothing in the Truly era was anything like as bad as the last two series though maybe that was not strictly speaking the "Truly era".

Yeah I agree Unc, its hard to class the last 2 series as the Truly era to be fair, although the more I watch the Hobbo episodes, the more affection I have for them, They were only disappoinbting in comparison to the eras that went before and that is some act to follow and big shoes to walk in.

Although the final two series are quite watchable, it would have been sensible, if the show was going to end anyway, to end the show with series 29. It did seem daft to continue the show at this point.

Back to the topic, I think Extra, Extra is the worst episode, which is surprising as it has most of the 'classic' cast in it.

Favourite scene, I have just too many, but I have always been a big fan of Seymour and still love the scene when all three are ejected from the White Horse in "The Experiment" for Seymour gazing into Compo's eyes.

Seymour: "You'll be hearing from my solicitor about this"
Landlord "Not on Lavender notepaper I hope?" :D

Least favourite scenes, sadly I have to say anything that had Tom(prior to him been played opposite Smiler), or Mrs Avery. I can understand that Roy Clarke had to work hard to get the show back on track after Bill Owen's passing, but some of those episodes where just awful.

In response to the last page of posts. I agree that Babs was just to bizarre. However, I will disagree with Mrs. Avery. Call me crazy but I did like Waggoners Roll and the Missing Bus of Mrs. Avery.

As for Tom, in this site and the previous one, I always stick up for him. I guess it is my unofficial role in the forums. He was never the best character but I always thought he was very enjoyable.

As for Tom, in this site and the previous one, I always stick up for him. I guess it is my unofficial role in the forums. He was never the best character but I always thought he was very enjoyable.

Oh yes, me as well. I like Tom, and was kinda glad when he
never became a Third Man. Perhaps one of my very faves was
WALDO!! There's one scene when Tom leaves the shanty
and tosses Waldo to Billy and Clegg. Really great.

Anyhow, wife and I both like the Character Tom became as
the series rolled on. But he did gain a bit round the middle.

But worst of all .... Kathy Staff has died, but
we are told that Nora Batty has gone to Australia.

So Compo gets three episodes in which to die.

Nora gets nil.

rip off!

I agree, although i always thought in retrospect, all of the cast members that passed away should have had some form of farewell included in the show.
We have seen episodes where the trio would attend the funerals of fictional people such as "slasher" and the episode where Compo loses his ferret.

So i recon it was an own goal, not to have a decent send off for Sid, Wally and certainly Foggy and Nora, just think what mayhem the trio could have caused at those funerals.
When Kathy died, i think that it could have been a good move to have had an episode where her sister has got the sad news and is in the cafe, telling Ivy and maybe pearl, then the trio walk in and Ivy has to tell them.

We can all be armchair scriptwriters i suppose, so how that news would have affected Compo, well, we will never know but i'm sure it would have been an interesting one.

G ; )
I think there would have been a Nora funeral episode if Kathy had predeceased Bill,Bill would have insisted on it :).Compo would have been devastated to lose Nora

Personally the last ever episode would rate as my least favorite, the fact so many loose ends were left untied. I feel there should be a special one off episode or even series to tie all these ends up whilst there is still time.

I also found the last episode to be very weak. I don't normally like saying bad things about the show but as it was asked.....

Personally the last ever episode would rate as my least favorite, the fact so many loose ends were left untied. I feel there should be a special one off episode or even series to tie all these ends up whilst there is still time.

but all those loose ends - gives us something to discuss!

I also found the last episode to be very weak. I don't normally like saying bad things about the show but as it was asked.....

To be fair though mate, it wasn't written with it being a final episode in mind. I think had Roy known for sure that it was going to be the final series, it would have been altered considerably.

Back