Yorkshire Trip 2013.

amos hames

Dedicated Member
My annual Yorkshire holiday starts on Aug 10 and I need to fill 3 days so I am looking for suggestions of places to visit.

We are going to.

Holmfirth
Scarboro
Marsden
Hawoth

So I need some suggestions of other places. I was thinking of Ilkley
I will be using public transport so they need to be accessible

I will look forward to your suggestions. :)

As I haven't been I can only tell you that I will hope you share pics. I am very jealous! I cannot wait to come over and take my trip. :)

Where are you staying in Haworth?? We always stay
with The Boys at the B&B and Coffee House at the top
of the street, The Apothecary Guest House. Big rooms,
great breakfast, and good location for walks or drives.
Eat at least one evening meal at The Old Silent in Stansbury,
another at The White Lion in Haworth.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~nciaffone/yorkshire2010/haworth.htm

If you have time, walk (or drive??) down the road to Oxenhope
to see the Keighley and Worth Vally Railway and the house from
The Railway Children. Wonderful stuff!!

chuck

Harrogate and York are both accessible by train from Leeds, as is Ilkley.

Depends what you want to do.

Going to Haworth, I presume you will change at Keighley: several attractions there such as East Riddlesden Hall, Cliffe Castle, Barmpot Towers and the railway and Bronete stuff.

Many times - just over the hill from Keighley.

Some fine shops, a pleasant walk beside the river although the place will be full of children. You can take a walk up to the edge or further on Rombald's Moor (aka Ilkley Moor) although a hat is always advisable (cue for old song ..) and Sweet Indulgence does a nice cup of tea and sandwiches or cakes (on the Grove) just as good as Betty's but half the price! It is where I seek refreshment when I visit.

Some prices are higher - for example one of the jewellers remove all their stock from the window at night, presumably for insurance reasons with watches typically £500 or more, generally in £1000 + bracket. That is compared to Keighley.

About half an hour from Leeds on the train, a half hourly service.

Many times - just over the hill from Keighley.

Some fine shops, a pleasant walk beside the river although the place will be full of children. You can take a walk up to the edge or further on Rombald's Moor (aka Ilkley Moor) although a hat is always advisable (cue for old song ..) and Sweet Indulgence does a nice cup of tea and sandwiches or cakes (on the Grove) just as good as Betty's but half the price! It is where I seek refreshment when I visit.

Some prices are higher - for example one of the jewellers remove all their stock from the window at night, presumably for insurance reasons with watches typically £500 or more, generally in £1000 + bracket. That is compared to Keighley.

About half an hour from Leeds on the train, a half hourly service.

Thanks Rod. :)

Excuse me but what is a "stick of rock"?
What it is Beth , is candy that is in "stick" form. It can be up to ten inches or so long and has been around in Britain for as long as folk have been vacationing by the sea.You can get various flavours, different colours and the one thing they have in common is that the name of the resort usually runs through the centre of the stick.Blackpool,Scarborough, Cleethorpes and Bridlington etc. Please dont ask how they do this , I've seen it made on tv but so long ago I've forgotten. ??? Hope I've gone some way to explaining it. :D

Thinking of getting a dales bus out to Grassington and surrounding areas. Has anyone been.

Pretty Place depends what you want to do,I prefer Burnsall for a peaceful few hours though it gets very busy at weekends and no doubt busy during the week at the moment with school holidays

Back