50 Years Ago This Very Day...

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure we all know but today is a momentous day as it's 50 years since the pilot was broadcast. I'm guessing probably no one here tuned into it?

That said what was the first series you watched as they were first broadcast for me, I'm guessing it was around series 11 or 12 as I recall Compo drinking his tea out of the saucer...

Discovered the show maybe some 20 odd years ago. Sadly, I never got to watch the show as it aired.

Once I discovered LotSW I watched every episode Netflix had available to rent on DVD - streaming was not a thing yet. They had maybe half a dozen discs of the show available. Plus whatever re-run I could find on TV. The show was still running (around series 20) but I had no way of watching it air live from the other side of the pond.

Really thankful to this website and forums for re-kindling my love of this show and letting me know that the full series was out on DVD.
Which I quickly snapped up the first deal I came across and now able to watch the show at will.

I remember it always being on TV when i was a kid in the 90s on Sundays i once loaned some of the VHS from the library my parents thought it was a bit odd that i found it funny i think i was about 8 or 9 at that time

On this very subject, wonderful videio from the Winos!!!!
I love their stuff. The launderette in the first programme was the first location I found myself many years ago while I was perusing the bargains in the charity shop and gazing out of the window. It hit me like a bolt if lightening :).
The end shot walking across the car park is where I got recovered by the AA after snapping my gear linkage in my car. They arrived before Wesley and his big hammer!

The closest car park shot that I took in 2017. The quietest I've seen it since Cleggy rode off on his bike to get his bit of sausage for his tea.
Gives you an idea just how run down much of Holmfirth was before the series, the buildings were all soot stained and the car park is just a waste land full of potholes. Much of the posterity of modern day Holmfirth is thanks to the programme that most of the town has already forgotten sadly.

I watched it again , apologies because this must have been mentioned but from a continuity perspective the opening scene doesn't add up Nora is hanging up washing, another woman [a neighbour? ] is talking to her when the younger lady comes out of Nora's with a basket of washing and hangs it on a separate line , Compo has come out of his house downstairs as they repossess his TV so where has Nora come from to be hanging Washing outside what was her home . I am certain this has been discussed before so apologies , was the housing configured differently when they shot the pilot ?

Screenshot (113).png

Screenshot (114).png

I watched it again , apologies because this must have been mentioned but from a continuity perspective the opening scene doesn't add up Nora is hanging up washing, another woman [a neighbour? ] is talking to her when the younger lady comes out of Nora's with a basket of washing and hangs it on a separate line , Compo has come out of his house downstairs as they repossess his TV so where has Nora come from to be hanging Washing outside what was her home . I am certain this has been discussed before so apologies , was the housing configured differently when they shot the pilot ?

View attachment 5740

View attachment 5741

I guess as it was just a pilot they weren't too bothered about exact details.

I'm sure we all know but today is a momentous day as it's 50 years since the pilot was broadcast. I'm guessing probably no one here tuned into it?

That said what was the first series you watched as they were first broadcast for me, I'm guessing it was around series 11 or 12 as I recall Compo drinking his tea out of the saucer...
My first experience of LOTSW was seeing my parents laughing at it. I'm a young 14 year old Punk Rocker and I had practically zero interest in it although I did find Compo quite interesting. My first conscious foray into LOTSW was when I found a VHS tape in oxfam called the vintage years and both my parents had passed and I bought it as a tribute to them. Didn't play it for ages then one day I did. I totally got it!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230105-114638_eBay~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230105-114638_eBay~2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 9
Captain, I had also noticed the young lady coming out of what was to be Norah's place as well. Rather liked her and would have been nice to of seen her again in the show.

Gives you an idea just how run down much of Holmfirth was before the series, the buildings were all soot stained and the car park is just a waste land full of potholes. Much of the posterity of modern day Holmfirth is thanks to the programme that most of the town has already forgotten sadly.
Much of the clean-up occurred because of the change from coal as a primary fuel, and the loss of so many of the mills producing wonderful worsted fabric, but belching smoke from their stacks. In addition, the government began to control what could be dumped into the river and its tributaries, so the River Holme no longer runs unnatural colors, depending on which dyes were being used in the dying works.

As much as I'd like to give "our" series credit, it isn't responsible for most of the clean-up of Holmfirth.

View attachment 5740

View attachment 5741
Nora's character was originally intended to be a one-off, so it didn't matter very much where she lived. The audience response to her was so enthusiastic, though, that she immediately became a permanent character.

Back