50 Years Ago This Very Day...

One thing I wish was still here from the old days is the shelter on the park. I was most disappointed when I first visited and found it had gone.
The historic component of the shelter in Victoria Park was the doorway. Originally, it was the doorway at Yateholme Farm. The farmstead was demolished in the 20th century when the land was set aside for reservoirs. It is now in use as an entrance to the playground in Holme. Someday, I hope to take the bus the short distance from Holmfirth to Holme to make a better photo of it than the screen grab from Google Maps!

Attachments

• Yateholme Farm doorway today..jpg
    Yateholme Farm doorway today..jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Yateholme Farm.jpg
    Yateholme Farm.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 19
I watched it again , apologies because this must have been mentioned but from a continuity perspective the opening scene doesn't add up Nora is hanging up washing, another woman [a neighbour? ] is talking to her when the younger lady comes out of Nora's with a basket of washing and hangs it on a separate line , Compo has come out of his house downstairs as they repossess his TV so where has Nora come from to be hanging Washing outside what was her home . I am certain this has been discussed before so apologies , was the housing configured differently when they shot the pilot ?

View attachment 5740

View attachment 5741
Could she be a relatives of Nora's ??

Speaking of Nora watching Bargain Hunt today and presenter visited the village of Flintham in Nottinghamshire where he visited an old shop which is part of the museum . The shop closed in 1982 run by a Muriel White who succeeded her father Fred . When Muriel passed her neighbours were clearing the house and came across an attic full of old items Muriel sold in the shop and had kept and so started the plan to replicate the shop in the museum . Her father Fred was a keen photographer and they found lots of photographic plates which they developed and exhibit . On the show they featured a few including Fred and his wife . To me she bears an uncanny resemblance to Nora .

nora.jpg

Wow what a find. She really does look like Nora but in real terms Kathy Staff. Wow it's quite a unique look ummm I wonder.....
Nice one Captain ; )))

That's how I got into it too, our dads have a lot to answer for!
I recall my dad watching the Blamire series back in the 70's, I did not take a lot of notice at the time, he would sit there laughing away
I "finally" got around to watching the pilot a mere 49 years after it originally aired, as I was far too busy being almost two back in 1973.

My family didn't watch LotsW, but I think my grandfather (on my dad's side) would have loved it.

maltrab, you raise an interesting point: My elders, who in some ways weren't exactly the most communicative of people, but I feel I learn a bit more about who they were by the programs they made a point to watch.

Back