A victory for Summer Wine in the US

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
Hello Brit Brethren and Fellow Yanks,

My kids' schools have me quite busy assisiting them with their homework. That and other family and work demands have kept me off this site for a while but I try to make an occasional comeback. Today was a holiday and tomorrow is a snow day so I have a rare free moment.

Anyway, I was in fopr quite a shock in January when I had a day off. Maryland Public Television, a strong supportor of British telelvision, suddenly stopped airing Summer Wine in January. This is the channel where I discovered Summer Wine back in the Spring of 2006!!! I have no idea how long they aired Summer Wine before that.

I thought it was a pretty devastating blow. Then just a few days afterwards, I got an e-mail alert stating due to the overwhelming calls and letters, they decided to reinstate Summer Wine.

I also read Pearl's post with the prisoner on death row keeping his spirits up by watching Summer Wine. I guess it is pretty hard to gage exactly how popular Summer Wine is here, since they don't really rate viewing on afternoon reruns. However, I believe Public Television received a statement that Summer Wine is still in high demand. I believe it is be around for quite a while now.

On a side note, the same exact thing happened to "Are You Being Served". I am not a fan of this show, but this show really is a staple for British programming on Public Television. Are You Being Served is on a lot more stations than Summer Wine and has been here forever. The show also got a lot of support to bring it back.

The shows returned to Public Television on February. Today I got to see "A Quiet Drink" and "Spring Fever" on the two different Public Television stations. After viewing it a second time, I found that a Quiet Drink really isn't that bad. But the good news is tomorrow I am off on a snow day and "New Mobile Trio" and Wind Instruments and Canoe" are scheduled. Let's hope my kids let me watch them in peace!

Cod, I think those are excellent choices they decided to run. Hooray for the little man in getting back what he likes. Hope the snow isn't too bad there. Enjoy the time off.

Welcome back Cod, hope your child is feeling better. Our kids on half term this week so that means more work for me plus its Pancake Day so I'll be tied to the cooker later.

Great to know its still popular over there. :D

Hello Brit Brethren and Fellow Yanks,

My kids' schools have me quite busy assisiting them with their homework. That and other family and work demands have kept me off this site for a while but I try to make an occasional comeback. Today was a holiday and tomorrow is a snow day so I have a rare free moment.

Anyway, I was in fopr quite a shock in January when I had a day off. Maryland Public Television, a strong supportor of British telelvision, suddenly stopped airing Summer Wine in January. This is the channel where I discovered Summer Wine back in the Spring of 2006!!! I have no idea how long they aired Summer Wine before that.

I thought it was a pretty devastating blow. Then just a few days afterwards, I got an e-mail alert stating due to the overwhelming calls and letters, they decided to reinstate Summer Wine.

I also read Pearl's post with the prisoner on death row keeping his spirits up by watching Summer Wine. I guess it is pretty hard to gage exactly how popular Summer Wine is here, since they don't really rate viewing on afternoon reruns. However, I believe Public Television received a statement that Summer Wine is still in high demand. I believe it is be around for quite a while now.

On a side note, the same exact thing happened to "Are You Being Served". I am not a fan of this show, but this show really is a staple for British programming on Public Television. Are You Being Served is on a lot more stations than Summer Wine and has been here forever. The show also got a lot of support to bring it back.

The shows returned to Public Television on February. Today I got to see "A Quiet Drink" and "Spring Fever" on the two different Public Television stations. After viewing it a second time, I found that a Quiet Drink really isn't that bad. But the good news is tomorrow I am off on a snow day and "New Mobile Trio" and Wind Instruments and Canoe" are scheduled. Let's hope my kids let me watch them in peace!

I, too, was disappointed to find LOTSW gone from the MPT Afternoon Tea lineup and then, wonders of wonders it was back!! Hooray!!

Good to hear you got the decision reversed, but keep in mind that carrying Summerwine is a station by station choice, not a national PBS move. Unfortunately only 1 of the 3 PBS stations in my area carries Summerwine at this point, and that is the station that is only available if you have cable/sat since the over the air local rights belong to the station attached to the local community college.

Welcome back Codfanglers,have snow days here also for ice mostly. Glad they had a change of heart. I have made request to BBC America to show some British Comedies, I didn't even get a returned email. You would think that Top gear, Ramsey, and star trek is all they watch. Enjoy the double feature!!

Good to hear you got the decision reversed, but keep in mind that carrying Summerwine is a station by station choice, not a national PBS move. Unfortunately only 1 of the 3 PBS stations in my area carries Summerwine at this point, and that is the station that is only available if you have cable/sat since the over the air local rights belong to the station attached to the local community college.

My local station, WSKG Binghamton (NY) hasn't responded to any of my feedback about the total lack of LOTSW on that station. It's been years since they broadcast it, and they chose to air only a couple of seasons from around mid-series.

Marianna

My local station, WSKG Binghamton (NY) hasn't responded to any of my feedback about the total lack of LOTSW on that station. It's been years since they broadcast it, and they chose to air only a couple of seasons from around mid-series.

Marianna

Regarding the previous comments on the individual PBS stations; it would be interesting to see the percentage of PBS stations airing Summer Wine as well as Are you Being Served. I never saw Summer Wine on any Ohio or Pennsylvania stations and didn't discover it until I moved to Maryland.

Marianna

Regarding the previous comments on the individual PBS stations; it would be interesting to see the percentage of PBS stations airing Summer Wine as well as Are you Being Served. I never saw Summer Wine on any Ohio or Pennsylvania stations and didn't discover it until I moved to Maryland.

Regarding Brendlovescompo's comment. I was really excited when BBC America started airing but quickly learned it wasn't the station I was hoping for. If there could only be a station that aired British sitcoms all day!

Back