Alvin Smedley

personally i thought his character was perfect 4 summer wine, a replacement 4 compo which we were lacking b4 alvin came in, he worked so well i the quartet and eventually the trios and thought him and hobbo worked really well in the final trio, definately in my top 10 of characters

I really liked Alvin,I loved his enthusiasm and determination to live life to the full.

Alvin was OK. He fitted in well. He was never a strong enough character to be part of the main trio, but as a support character he was good.
He had an excellent intro episode and fitted in well as the barmpot with Truly.

I liked Alvin, I was lukewarm to his George and Mildred persona but in Summer Wine he seemed to "go for it" and it showed with his humour and acting as the barmpot! ;)

Having not watched much of the later series' i did catch a few that had been recorded in my suggestion file on my tivo. Alvin was in a few of them and i thought he is a good character not great just good.

Alvin was a good character, and his interaction with Norah was quite different to that of Compo which was a plus (doubt any one could replace the sparring between Norah and Compo).

I thought he fitted in well ...

Alvin was a good character, and his interaction with Norah was quite different to that of Compo which was a plus (doubt any one could replace the sparring between Norah and Compo).

I thought he fitted in well ...

Agreed.Brain and Kathy played well alongside each other as did Bill and Kathy all those years ago.I think that Alvin bought a fresh i njection of life to the show and one of my favourite Alvin sence is where he is cooking on a barbcue outside the front of his house.He was the fall guy towards the end the man who would fall off walls or be chased by Nora.Overall a good addition to the show

Oh dear!
It looks like I'm the only one that didn't really like him :(
I love Brian Murphy, but didn't like Alvin, his character was in keeping with the Summer Wine gang but there was something missing/not quit right I can't put my finger on it but it was odd in some way.
But he did work well with Nora.

I like him but keep on expecting for Mildred to come round the corner and have yell at him ;D

Oh dear!
It looks like I'm the only one that didn't really like him :(
I love Brian Murphy, but didn't like Alvin, his character was in keeping with the Summer Wine gang but there was something missing/not quit right I can't put my finger on it but it was odd in some way.
But he did work well with Nora.

No Susan, I feel just the same, I don´t like Alvin either for the same reasons.

I liked Alvin very much and he did a great job. What I think is that they tried to make him a Compo replacement. No one could do that but he did come a close second. Also Alvin had a bit more class then Compo. LOL

Granted, there was only one Compo, and while Alvin had some pretty big shoes to fill, all things considered, I think he held his own and added some nice dynamics to the show.

Do you remember the ep when Alvin took a picture of Nora and made a funny hanging thing out of her? Makes me laugh every time!!! :D

I seem to remember reading that Alvin was supposed to be a one off, but he was so popular they kept him.

Back
Top Bottom