Amazon Delivery Drivers

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I really feel sorry for these drivers, and it might explain why you rarely see the same driver twice, it has been common for us to get deliveries as late as 9pm, one driver I spoke to recently who arrived just after 8pm, I asked him what time do you start, he told me he was 45 mins from home to the depot and has to be there by 9am, it appears that he then waits around sometimes till noon for his delivery vehicle to be loaded and he can get away, with anything from 300 to 400 deliveries for that day, he has been out delivering as late as 10.30pm, it seems the staff in the warehouse cannot cope with the volume of parcels quick enough to get the drivers loaded and away for a early start of 9am, plus not enough drivers to be able to split the loads to decrease the amount of daily delivers per driver, it cannot be safe for these drivers to be on the road for anything upto 15 hours a day, I think the company uses a lot of contract drivers who need the work and will put up, for a while at least these conditions

I've not spoken to a driver for a while. If they can't squeeze the parcel through the letter box they just leave it on the doorstep, take a photo and knock the door. By the time I get to the door, usually only 20 seconds or so, the driver is back in his van and on his way.

Surreal...but true.....
A driver who comes into the docks was telling me the company he works for has trackers on every van.....
He was on his dinner break....finished it...and went on his way dropping off parcels......
45 minutes later he need to go to the toilet.....so he stopped at a pub.....
When he returned to his van he had 3 missed calls......
His boss asked him why did he stop.....when he told his boss he had the "call of nature" his boss replied "COULDN'T YOU HAVE GONE WHEN YOU WERE HAVING YOUR OFFICIAL DINNER BREAK !!!!????"........
Terry is absolutely correct...these drivers have up to 500 deliveries per day......and some cannot drop parcels off until a SPECIFIC time...so you can never get ahead........sad but true.
x!

Surreal...but true.....
A driver who comes into the docks was telling me the company he works for has trackers on every van.....
He was on his dinner break....finished it...and went on his way dropping off parcels......
45 minutes later he need to go to the toilet.....so he stopped at a pub.....
When he returned to his van he had 3 missed calls......
His boss asked him why did he stop.....when he told his boss he had the "call of nature" his boss replied "COULDN'T YOU HAVE GONE WHEN YOU WERE HAVING YOUR OFFICIAL DINNER BREAK !!!!????"........
Terry is absolutely correct...these drivers have up to 500 deliveries per day......and some cannot drop parcels off until a SPECIFIC time...so you can never get ahead........sad but true.
x!
Yes the DPD driver told me they have a 15-20 minute window to deliver, if he is early he waits elsewhere until the time slot

Here in the US, at least in my region, Amazon has a contract with the Postal Service for package delivery. It places an extra workload on the Letter Carriers but on the other hand, it guarantees business for the Postal Service at a time when letter mail is nearly vanishing due to electronic communications.

Here in the US, at least in my region, Amazon has a contract with the Postal Service for package delivery. It places an extra workload on the Letter Carriers but on the other hand, it guarantees business for the Postal Service at a time when letter mail is nearly vanishing due to electronic communications.
I do get a small amount of deliveries via Royal mail from Amazon, though 90% are delivered by their own delivery service, though sending just a letter via Royal mail is expensive, so it is probably a lot cheaper to use their own or contract drivers

I still go to the shops.
I used to get all my auto parts from a shop in our village but it has closed after 30+ years of trading because of online deliveries. You could go in order what you want and he would get it in for later in the day and he would even lend you any special tools you needed if he had them.
All four banks have now closed due to online banking too.
We still have independent shops though- butcher, cake shop, cafes, bars, flower and hardwear shop( think of Open All Hours but for diy) that are still thriving though.
I’ve never and probably never will use Amazon although I sometimes use eBay.
If you don’t use your local shops you lose them though.

Local Spoons and maybe nationally have taken eggs off the menu but offering additional hash browns or extra sausage as a replacement . Immediately my thought was back to Monty Python and the Spam sketch thinking Spoons brekkie might possibly lose bacon and sausage if prices rise and it could be beans, beans, beans , hash brown and beans [and definitely NO spam:)]

If you don’t use your local shops you lose them though.
Well said Ferret, couldn't have put it better myself. Many of the high street shopkeepers I've spoken to say a real challenge is people going in, gleaning lots of information from them, then turning online and buying the recommended items cheaper. Personally I think that is blatantly immoral as these shops cannot compete on price with the online retailers. Sadly many towns shops are, several bookies, a vape shop, Greggs, Weatherspoons, B&M bargains, Cash Converters, kebab shop & the odd charity shop and lots of boarded up empty shops, unless we start shopping locally all towns will be like this....

When we first moved here 12 years ago, we had a couple of local shops,all well used as without them it meant 5-7 mile journey to get even the basics, sadly for one reason or another they closed,except for the nearest large town,which is a city (Lincoln) it is difficult to get anything outside of day to day foodstuffs. The shopping in Lincoln is spread over several miles.with high parking charges, our recent visit to one of the main shopping areas shocked us, plenty of shops but all empty, which is odd as Lincoln is a large ever expanding University city, many of the older shopping areas pulled down for student accommodation tower blocks, one of these blocks built in the last 6 years has had to be vacated as it does not conform to fire regulations, which makes one wonder how it got past that in the first place.

We usually get the same man, I think he's Polish, he's always really polite and friendly. I always give him good feedback. I certainly wouldn't want to deal with the general public for a job again, I've done that and people suck!
People suck
A lot of people are nice don't be so angry hahaha, but I have said similar "people suck, people are disappointing" etc, and like you it was because I worked with the general public mainly in stores and there's such a big clattering of a******* out there it doesn't shock me such comments as 'people suck' exist because unfortunately quite often they do. I am disabled and use crutches to move about and the empathy is around 40% when I'm in a store etc. People are very angry about something, anything!

Attachments

• SarcasticAngryEasternnewt-size_restricted.gif
    SarcasticAngryEasternnewt-size_restricted.gif
    830.2 KB · Views: 4
Back