Andrew Vine's Book is it worth getting?

Kall

I am thinking about buying Andrew Vine LOTSW book on Amazon, is it any good? I've been wanting to read books about sitcoms, hoping to get a better idea of what goes on behind the scenes and thought LOTSW was a great one to start with?

Vine's is certainly worth it. I buy almost anything I can find unless the price is out of bounds (such as a print copy of the Alan Bell book which can be obtained on Kindle much more reasonably).

It goes on sale tomorrow on Amazon US. The cover looks a lot like the "tribute" magazines they sell in the grocery checkouts here in the US, but at $11.99 certainly worth taking a chance.

Thank you all for your recommendations, I heard a lot of things about the show behind the scenes on here and on other groups, so it will be worth the purchase.

I'm a collector of LOTSW books. I ordered the newest book by Richard Skelton "The Golden Years of Last of the Summer Wine" I have not received it yet. Has anyone read this one yet?
Yes. An excellent book full of new information on the making of all aspects of the show. Interviews with Holmefirth people who give an insight to the characters that visit various businesses in the town. on the making of the programme, Highly recommended

Vine's book is worth it as it covers the shows creation, something Alan Bell wasnt around for. Make sure you get the updated version, though. After the show ended he added a chapter or two as the original release was in the early 2000s.

Yes. An excellent book full of new information on the making of all aspects of the show. Interviews with Holmefirth people who give an insight to the characters that visit various businesses in the town. on the making of the programme, Highly recommended
I think I might have the wrong book. I was thinking of "The Vintage Years of Summer Wine" The latest book by Richard Skelton. All my comments are true to that publication.

Ordered mine (Skelton) on Amazon US but told it is on backorder. It actually is available but looks like resellers have bought up all the copies and are selling them at inflated prices.

Seems I have this book as well. Bought several LotSW books some months back and not gotten to read this one yet. Good to know that is also a great read judging by the comments here. From the stamp on it my copy comes from the Kingston upon Hull City Libraries ! It also has a Withdrawn from Stock, Sold stamp.

It is a hardcover and in good shape but I just notice several pages, maybe 3, have been torn out from between pages 146 and 147 of the text. They seem smoother and shinier than the printed pages so I am thinking maybe they had pictures on them. If someone could check their copy and let me know I would appreciate it. If they are very nice pics and you could post a capture of them that would be great. Thanks.

Thank you so much, @ferret! Those would have been some nice pictures to of had in the book. I saved your photo's. Baffles me why someone would take them out of what was a used library book.

I do not fault the seller at all. I knew I was getting a used book. Can't recall if ebay or amazon. I'm just glad to have the book. There is no way the seller would have known it was missing pages. I did not know when I first flipped through it after getting the book. It is otherwise in like new condition. Was just a fluke that this morning I flipped through it and landed on the exact spot they are missing. Barely a few millimeters of page left to show something's a miss.

Thanks, again. :)

I got the book the other day and I am up to loyal but disagreeable chapter in the book and the book is brilliant so far it has given me an insight on how the show was made, how they came to cast the characters, dealing with new directors, cast members leaving, disputes between cast members and directors and BBC's reaction to the show ect. It's a remarkable read so far! I love it.

Back