Anyone read any good books lately?

Marina'sTwin

Dedicated Member
So I'm giving up on assignments for tonight because my brain has turned to mush from working on them all day and I decided to pick up the book I'm currently reading, which is Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover. Everyone my age is reading Colleen Hoover books right now (at least in my area) so I must read them too even tho I'm not the biggest romance fan and would really prefer a horror novel or a thriller with at least one serial killer in it. Anyway, I was just curious, have any of you guys read anything good lately?

I am reading the latest Ann Cleeves book The Rising Tide at the moment another in the Vera series . I read all the Richard Osman Thursday Murder Club books ,next one out September, before that they are not too far removed from LOTSW four amateur detectives who solve crimes whilst residing in a Retirement Home.

I tend only to read punk/ post punk music biographies nowadays.
I’ve recently read Lonely Boy - Steve Jones, Dancing With Myself- Billy Idol, Defying Gravity(Jordan’s Story), The Life & Times of Malcolm McLaren, Love in Vain( Story of the Ruts).
I’ve just ordered a book called Totally Wired by Paul Gorman (who also wrote the McClaren biography) about the rise/ importance of the music press.

I remember as a child thinking why would anyone read a book when you can watch TV. I've tried reading books but I get bored and give up. I don't think I've read one all the way through.
You'll be alright with that 1982 summer wine book you've ordered from the Wino's there's plenty of pictures and not too many words in there!

I Didn't Know You Cared - by Peter Tinniswood. Reading the book and listening to the Radio Broadcasts of the Uncle Mort series that helped spawn a TV show.

Got to give a shout out to the Captain for introducing me to the rest of the series. Uncle Mort for the win! :21:

So I'm giving up on assignments for tonight because my brain has turned to mush from working on them all day and I decided to pick up the book I'm currently reading, which is Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover. Everyone my age is reading Colleen Hoover books right now (at least in my area) so I must read them too even tho I'm not the biggest romance fan and would really prefer a horror novel or a thriller with at least one serial killer in it. Anyway, I was just curious, have any of you guys read anything good lately?

If you like horror novels then I can recommend anything by Adam Nevill, and especially The Ritual.

An old friend once warned a new acquaintance about me, saying, "Never ask if she's read any good books lately, because you'll get an hour's worth of book reviews."

Current series: the Brock and Kolla mysteries, by Barry Maitland.
Current "relax for sleeping" book is An Unsuitable Attachment, by Barbara Pym.

Recent mystery was The Last Remains by Elly Griffiths, the final book in the Ruth Galloway series.
Recent novels were Olivia Manning's The Balkan Trilogy and The Levant Trilogy, and Our Spoons Came from Woolworths, by Barbara Comyns.

I get a lot of recommendations from the Undervalued British Women Novelists, 1930-1960 Facebook group. Also from The Furrowed Middlebrow blog, although it is now defunct due to the death of the publisher to whom the blogger was feeding ideas.

Last edited:
You guys read lots of cool stuff! I'm totally screenshotting this whole conversation for book recommendations! Lol I'm waiting for One of Us is Back by Karen McManus. It came out this month and it's the last book in the One of Us is Lying series but I don't have the money to buy it yet. I guess while I wait for my friend, Skye, to pay me back the $60 they owe me, I'll finish this Colleen Hoover book. I'm actually kind of liking it, maybe I needed a break from serial killers! Lol

I am reading the latest Ann Cleeves book The Rising Tide at the moment another in the Vera series . I read all the Richard Osman Thursday Murder Club books ,next one out September, before that they are not too far removed from LOTSW four amateur detectives who solve crimes whilst residing in a Retirement Home.
Yes, I actually checked that book out of the library and looking forward to a good read.

I remember as a child thinking why would anyone read a book when you can watch TV. I've tried reading books but I get bored and give up. I don't think I've read one all the way through.

That rings true with me, Roger. I struggled to get through any reading book at school because I found them sooo boring. I'm still the same today. That and the fact that my attention span is, to this day, quite frankly awful! I much prefer factual books that I can pick up and put down when I feel like it.

Have you tried Audiobooks @Roger, I find they're great if I'm too tired to read or am on a journey. If you subscribe to Audible for a trial you get a couple for free and you can then cancel which is what I did

Have you tried Audiobooks @Roger, I find they're great if I'm too tired to read or am on a journey. If you subscribe to Audible for a trial you get a couple for free and you can then cancel which is what I did
I've thought about it but not tried them yet. I think you can download audiobooks from the public library for free. I might give it a try.

Back