Best Summer Wine Couple (in terms of comic value)

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
This thread is motivated by my recent viewing of the Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty. A lot of the episode was a little slow in my opinion but the last 5-7 minutes starting with Wally's questioning Nora about her feet and awkward attempted to look at them was fabulous! It reminds me that, as a couple they were the best on the show.

Recent threads commented on how Barry and Glenda were the only happy marriage on the show and how unhappy Howard and Pearl were. Regardless of how happy or miserable the couples were, I am asking your opinion on what couple was.....

purely the funniest
the couple with the best scenes
or scripts written them

Tom and Mrs Avery didn't last long enough, so I am thinking this poll is between the following

Sid and Ivy
Nora and Wally
Barry and Glenda
Edie and Wesley
Howard and Pearl

Thoughts anyone?

This thread is motivated by my recent viewing of the Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty. A lot of the episode was a little slow in my opinion but the last 5-7 minutes starting with Wally's questioning Nora about her feet and awkward attempted to look at them was fabulous! It reminds me that, as a couple they were the best on the show.

Recent threads commented on how Barry and Glenda were the only happy marriage on the show and how unhappy Howard and Pearl were. Regardless of how happy or miserable the couples were, I am asking your opinion on what couple was.....

purely the funniest
or scripts written them

Tom and Mrs Avery didn't last long enough, so I am thinking this poll is between the following

Sid and Ivy
Nora and Wally
Barry and Glenda
Edie and Wesley
Howard and Pearl

Thoughts anyone?

Got to be Wally and Nora the on screen chemistery between Joe and Kathy was brilliant which added to the funny lines they had.

purely the funniest
or scripts written them

Sid and Ivy
Nora and Wally
Barry and Glenda
Edie and Wesley
Howard and Pearl

Thoughts anyone?

The funniest : Sid and Ivy

Best Scenes : Edie and Wesley

Best Scripts : Wally and Nora and Pearl and Howard.

Sid and Ivy for me too.
I like they both had a mischievous side to them, Sid wasn´t purely a henpecked man like the rest, I quite liked some of his remarks and little tricks he played on Ivy. Apart from that both could have a laugh, together or apart, and there were also moments when it became clear that there was something like passion between them. I think they are also the funniest and have this air of the good old episodes about them.

You're right ****. In spite of one's immediate thought that Sid & Ivy were always arguing, they actually did have quite a few moments of passion. Sometimes it went only one way, but more often it was shared. Those 2 did seem to have an almost secret love relationship, as if they didn't want others to know. It was Pearl & Howard that I thought had no love left in their pitiful marriage. Seems they just stayed together to make each other miserable, they didn't even have any kids as their excuse for not splitting up. It was just masochism on both parts. If ever a couple seemed over ripe for divorce it was these 2.

You're right ****. In spite of one's immediate thought that Sid & Ivy were always arguing, they actually did have quite a few moments of passion. Sometimes it went only one way, but more often it was shared. Those 2 did seem to have an almost secret love relationship, as if they didn't want others to know. It was Pearl & Howard that I thought had no love left in their pitiful marriage. Seems they just stayed together to make each other miserable, they didn't even have any kids as their excuse for not splitting up. It was just masochism on both parts. If ever a couple seemed over ripe for divorce it was these 2.

Yes, I agree with every point. I think I enjoyed Pearl and Howard the least of all the couples, always this air of misery, I can´t really laugh at such things. And there was nothing loveable about them either, I´m sorry to say. There was only this one brief moment when Pearl was worried about Clegg when Compo had died.

Yes, I agree with every point. I think I enjoyed Pearl and Howard the least of all the couples, always this air of misery, I can´t really laugh at such things. And there was nothing loveable about them either, I´m sorry to say. There was only this one brief moment when Pearl was worried about Clegg when Compo had died.

I agree with Bunny.

I like Pearl,I think she did love Howard in her own way and I think he loved her too but his eyes were bigger than his belly when it come to woman. :)

I like Pearl,I think she did love Howard in her own way and I think he loved her too but his eyes were bigger than his belly when it come to woman. :)

If I was married to Pearl, I'd be looking elsewhere for affection aswell.

Howard and Pearl, but what made the tension between them funny was the addition of Marina. A close second would go to Compo and Nora. It never fails to make me laugh to see Compo sneak a kiss or a cuddle with Nora against her will!

About Howard and Pearl, I don't think there was really any love between them. But Pearl couldn't live without being the way she is. Therfore she needed him. Howard needed to be hen pecked. So it was a match made in Heaven or Hell... LOL

I am currently watching the start of Series 8 for the first time on a while (Mysterious Feet and Keeping Britain Tidy). There is something about this series (at least the start of) that really brings out the best of Nora and Wally, in terms of comic value. Both episodes just show a small amount of the two at their home and those are such wildly great moments. Now I am wondering if they are the greatest comic couple in the history of television!

I am currently watching the start of Series 8 for the first time on a while (Mysterious Feet and Keeping Britain Tidy). There is something about this series (at least the start of) that really brings out the best of Nora and Wally, in terms of comic value. Both episodes just show a small amount of the two at their home and those are such wildly great moments. Now I am wondering if they are the greatest comic couple in the history of television!

With the passing of Sid after series 7, I think greater emphasis was placed on Nora and Wally in this series as the 'main' couple and focus of marital bullying and disharmony.

With the passing of Sid after series 7, I think greater emphasis was placed on Nora and Wally in this series as the 'main' couple and focus of marital bullying and disharmony.

Very insightful, Chuffer. Thanks for explaining that. Now I just caught Cathing Digby's Donkey and the introduction to Howard, Pearl, and Marina.

Did Clarke feel that he needed a second comical couple by bringing them in, and not just emphasizing Nora and Wally more?

They did a stage show of the trio and Clegg, I believe it went down so well they deiced to bring them to the show.

Back