Better as time went on…..?

B

Barrychuckle

To me KUA was the only comedy I can ever recall that got better series on series. The very early episodes I found Hyacinth a little too abrasive and less likeable, but the last series to me was the best. My favourite is where she “borrows” the Rolls Royce has me in stitches every time. Do others agree that it got better and Pat Routledge probably bowed out whilst the series was still flying high?

To me KUA was the only comedy I can ever recall that got better series on series. The very early episodes I found Hyacinth a little too abrasive and less likeable, but the last series to me was the best. My favourite is where she “borrows” the Rolls Royce has me in stitches every time. Do others agree that it got better and Pat Routledge probably bowed out whilst the series was still flying high?
The QE2 Episode was an absolute gold . A complete riot

To be honest it is one show I have never really watched much , unlike others it never really grabbed me, maybe I should try again

To be honest it is one show I have never really watched much , unlike others it never really grabbed me, maybe I should try again
That's perfectly understandable many don't like it, some say it's just a 1 gag comedy whilst others just really hate the Hyacinth character. I love it as it's very gentle clean comedy in carefree times...

That's perfectly understandable many don't like it, some say it's just a 1 gag comedy whilst others just really hate the Hyacinth character. I love it as it's very gentle clean comedy in carefree times...
I agree each to our own. I just love the interaction between Hyacinth and Richard.

I agree, it kept being fine tuned to the point of excellence by it's end in my opinion. As it progresses you get give brief moments of escapist joy from Richard whether it's Onslow's sympathetic company or quiet moments of reflection with Elizabeth or on even rarer occasions a slight sarcastic retort in the car. Hyacinth herself gets even more fastidious such as preparing plastic beakers for Elizabeth.

I need to give this another go. I didn't like the first few episodes and dropped it, but it might be worth trying to stick with the series for a while and see if it grows on me.

I need to give this another go. I didn't like the first few episodes and dropped it, but it might be worth trying to stick with the series for a while and see if it grows on me.
Try it Bigcat. You'll grow to love it

I agree, it kept being fine tuned to the point of excellence by it's end in my opinion. As it progresses you get give brief moments of escapist joy from Richard whether it's Onslow's sympathetic company or quiet moments of reflection with Elizabeth or on even rarer occasions a slight sarcastic retort in the car. Hyacinth herself gets even more fastidious such as preparing plastic beakers for Elizabeth.
And there is one sterling moment when Richard is in a telephone booth speaking to Hyacinth and he is forced by circumstances to give an firm order to her.

And there is one sterling moment when Richard is in a telephone booth speaking to Hyacinth and he is forced by circumstances to give an firm order to her.
I love that too, the only time you ever see him lose it with Hyacinth ! The guy in the phonebox also appeared in LOTSW too.......

For Terry and Big Cat. When I was younger, I was turned off by Hyacinth and wouldn't watch it. Then I got married, moved to Maryland, and turned 30 around the same time. Then I felt an interest in suddenly trying out KUA again. My wife would record it for me while I was at work and I enjoyed it. Although I laugh at Richard, and his mannerisms and poor circumstances, more than I do Hyacinth.

Side note. When my wife would record KUA at 2 in the afternoon, she discovered Summer Wine at 1:30 and started recording that for me. One day I came home and she said, "You have to check out this show with the old guys that comes on before KUA!"

Back