BF - old fashioned comedy

wstol

Dedicated Member
I don't know the meaning, so apologies if this causes offence. I don't think it will.

What's a BF?

It's used in old comedies.

In Doctor at Sea (cert U), the sign says Dr Simon Sparrow MD, but MD has been crossed out, and BF scrawled instead.

In Shelley (cert PG), the graduate tells his landlady he's a BA, but his landlady harshly tells him he's more like a BF.

What's a BF??

Doubt I have seen the movies in question but a little searching led me to this.

Under imdb goofs for Doctor at Sea -
Simon sees his name plate altered from "MD" to "BF". As a newly qualified doctor he would only have been a Bachelor of Medicine ("MB"). The joke would have been better made by deleting the "M" and adding an "F".

You are not the only one to wonder about this. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this.

I just copy and pasted what was there. I admit it does not make as much sense as I would have liked. Wondered if it had something to do with the letter grading system used where A is the best and F is the worst / fail. Don't know if that was used in the UK as in the US.

Not seen the movie so I do not know the character we are referring to. I can think of an insult for DF but don't know if was used in the time frame of this movie - 1950's.

added
Seems Roger might be on to something there.

Googling BF slang didn't get me anywhere.

Googling BF bloody fool seems to have confirmed it though.

Thank you Roger, that's another mystery solved.

There was an absolute treat earlier today on BBC when one of the best comedy films ever made, in my Opinion, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World was shown . Its is on IPlayer short term and I would urge anyone who hasn't seen it or indeed may have forgotten it to watch it whilst its there . There are a huge number of true A list stars in it including some Cameos [ The Three Stooges are firemen ] . It is one of those films I never tire of watching I had to go out today or I would have sat and watched it again . :)

An absolute classic movie that is, captain! I remember the first time watching it on TV as a young un back in the late 70's or early 80's with the family. We were howling with laughter watching it. The 'Big W' :21:. May have to watch that again sometime soon.

Back