Book genres

Hey, that's a good point, could Compo read? He also seemed to have issues pronouncing big words. I remember at least one episode where he had a problem with that but can't remember the name of the episode or what he was trying to pronounce but I distinctly remember him trying to pronounce something and giving up.

Also sorry if I'm quiet today, my mom has lupus and rheumatoid arthritis and sometimes the medicine she takes for that makes her sick. Today is one of those days. So I'll be online on my phone but I'll be taking care of her.

Probably not audiobooks as we know them, but there were, and still are, Talking Books for the blind and visually impaired. When I worked in the public library in the late '60s and early 70s, I referred several people to the Library of Congress for access to them.
Years ago when I worked for the Post Office we used to get audio books for the blind to post back to the Blind Foundation.

Howard the smiling Bandito vs Pearl the scowling Assassin only one winner there.

Lol I told my mom that and she was like "As long as she doesn't bury him in the back yard, she won't get caught." Lol My sister is into serial killers (she's a licensed social worker who has worked with a few people who have killed someone so it's not weird) and my mom likes to watch crime shows and one of their pet peeves about killers is when they bury the body in their own back yard because according to them, that's a sure fire way to get caught! Lol

Hey, that's a good point, could Compo read? He also seemed to have issues pronouncing big words. I remember at least one episode where he had a problem with that but can't remember the name of the episode or what he was trying to pronounce but I distinctly remember him trying to pronounce something and giving up.

Also sorry if I'm quiet today, my mom has lupus and rheumatoid arthritis and sometimes the medicine she takes for that makes her sick. Today is one of those days. So I'll be online on my phone but I'll be taking care of her.
I always wondered if Compo was illiterate or not. In some episodes there is evidence to suggest it, but in others evidence to suggest not.

I think Compo was conveyed as a character who 'wasn't the sharpest' so I guess he had a very basic level of literacy. But typically of Roy Clarke's characters Compo didn't have a detailed back story so his literacy probably varied as the scene required it.

Lol I was going to say something about him maybe being able to read but choosing not to but I tapped the text box and my mind went completely blank! Lol That mood stabilizer is messing with my cognitive abilities, I think we're going to need to adjust the dose at my next appointment. I can forget what I'm doing while I'm doing it! Lol

I gave many many hours of my time at a Sight challenged charity converting audio tapes to CD for the blind, each conversion had to have a audio described voiceover which was me, this included the author, book title, plus the the chapters, the reason they wanted this done was many a time a tape would come back damaged or the quality from endless playing was poor, the charity had a special licence to cover doing this, the originals tapes had to be stored away to show they had them, some of these books had up to 20 cassettes, after about 18 months I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, with the pile of cassettes to be done thinning down, I could recite in my sleep all the legal jargon that had to be added to the recordings which was done on good quality and expensive equipment, then one day another charity donated another few thousand tapes, at this stage I was happy to hand the job over to someone else as we were moving south in a few weeks, so I had the chance to train them and finish of the last few tapes before the new bunch got started.

Good job there Terry.
I think Peter Sallis's extra narration on the summer wine cassette tapes adds to the episodes & I can visualise the scenes. As far as I know 3 tapes were done & only one on CD before they gave up. But why?

That's really cool! I've never heard of books on CD before but it makes sense that if we can have music on CD, we can have books too. I was really little when CDs became a thing, I remember cassettes but barely. I remember CDs a lot better and then of course we all got iPods when I was about 13 and now we don't even use those anymore. Technology kind of progressed pretty quickly while I was growing up! Lol

Back