Cafe Food

summerwinefan

I am watching todays LOTSW block of episodes and musing over the food served in the cafe by Ivy. She servs a customer with a plate of food consisting of two eggs which went on the plate as though they where plastic a side order of peas.

I often thought this was a strange conbination, have other winos noticed strange combos in the cafe.

I don't mean to get too off track, but speaking of cafe food, season 15 just began this week and there are always delicious buns on Ivy's counter. They always make me so hungry everytime I look at them. I recently started my summer break since I am a school teacher and I always work through lunch and never get hungry while I am at work. But now that I am home I am more relaxed and get hungry easier. I view Summer Wine from 1:30 - 2:00 and seeing those buns make me so hungry for lunch.

They didn't always have the buns as decor.

Ha, ha!! I'm gluten intolerant so yes those buns look good, but currently they're not on my diet. Peas with eggs does sound kind of odd but it seems that mushy peas seem to be a British staple. So how are mushy peas made? Cook peas to death and mash them?

Mushy peas are dried peas boiled with soda in the water (bi-carbonated ) The soda was added to make the peas soft again and they usually come out like regular peas but in a sort of a puree. The soda became a thing of personal taste (some liked a lot of soda some not so much) The northern mushy peas are done totally different to southern ones. The southern ones come out a lot like tinned "processed " peas( ie dried peas soaked in water till soft again) I hope that helps because I have not " GOOGLED" just used what I know.:42:

Excellent description Dick, I suspect mushy peas is not a delicacy often served in an American Diner!

as regards egg and peas - often seen egg, ham and peas or egg, chips and peas on menus. Perhaps the ham was hiding under the peas? Some have been known to have just a plate of peas on their own. Example was Compo's friend in Spring Fever!

Thanks for the recipe. I take it that bi-carbonate of soda is the same thing as baking soda. I'll have to try out the recipe!!

The original purpose of adding baking soda when cooking dried peas and beans was to reduce the gas produced when eating them. It does cause an actual change but some people feel it helps while others don't notice a difference. It also causes the peas or beans to become mushy - which some people like and some don't.

Back