Cast pay

WellyMan

Dedicated Member
Was wondering, did the cast get paid well for SW, at least when it'd got established and grew in popularity?

Nice to see hear from you again WellyMan!!!!

This is a question I've been wondering about were all the actors multi millionaires (I suspect not). I'm guessing that the pay probably actually reduced overtime as the BBC used the cast loyalty and constantly squeezed budgets. But I would have absolutely no concept of the lead actors would have earned for a series be it £5,000 or £50,000.

I was informed that the longer you worked for the BBC, the better the pay and conditions

I was informed that the longer you worked for the BBC, the better the pay and conditions
I think that is true, but I'm guessing the actors and much of the production team were freelance so probably weren't on the BBC's payroll.

I think that is true, but I'm guessing the actors and much of the production team were freelance so probably weren't on the BBC's payroll.
Probably true these last 10 years, but before that the actors in series where well looked after

I think you're right, just shows the loyalty of the cast that they stuck around even as the pay dropped. The BBC publishes the salaries of all employees earning over £150k each year. But cynically as BBC Studios which produces most of the programming is classed as a private enterprise it is exempt from publishing this. However the last time they did which was around 5 years ago, the main stars of Casualty & Eastenders were earning in excess of £300k a year!

I know that Brian Wilde negotiated a better fee than Sallis and Owen, but have always wondered how well paid (or not) the main cast members were. Presumably it was less than those on Casualty and EastEnders if only because SW was far fewer episodes a year.

I remember seeing Peter Sallis' home for sale a little bit ago on this forum somewhere in excess of 1 or 2 million (!) if not more I think which struck me odd for a townhouse. He was obviously drawing a few bills in either case.

If you're going to spend millions on any residence, I can suggest this one here in Kentucky. Though the upstairs is certainly opulent it's the downstairs (bunker and bomb shelter) that makes it a keeper. : )

Unfortunately, only a few of the downstairs/shelter pics remain compared to when this was originally posted but you get the idea.

Back