Changes in Clegg

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
A while back I wrote about the change in Clegg, from somewhat of a brash character at the start to a really meek, soft spoken character. The answers I got before was the belief that Clegg just grew older.

However, I recently watched Flower Power Cut in Series Three. Was it just the nature of the flower / funeral themed episode or was that the start of the "softening" of Clegg?

Another question- can anyone else figure out other examples of Clegg becoming more humble?

I've been going through the series again and the change is very noticeable when you go from series 1 to series 31 in one scene he describes watching Nora with her hands in a bucket has being a sexy woman and thats is nothing Clegg would say in series 20.

Its like having two Cleggs, I think I like the first one best :D

I've been going through the series again and the change is very noticeable when you go from series 1 to series 31 in one scene he describes watching Nora with her hands in a bucket has being a sexy woman and thats is nothing Clegg would say in series 20.

Its like having two Cleggs, I think I like the first one best :D

I liked the first one better, too. For one thing, I like a bit of feistiness and the occasional mischief to liven up the philosopher side of his character. And in the earlier series he seemed to be a more fully rounded personality.

Marianna

I liked the first one better, too. For one thing, I like a bit of feistiness and the occasional mischief to liven up the philosopher side of his character. And in the earlier series he seemed to be a more fully rounded personality.

Marianna

Good Point. The combination of philosophy and mischief was good. However, the really timid Clegg had great moments, such as his fear of Auntie Wainwright, Marina, and sometimes, Pearl.

Caught a glimpse of the old Clegg in the episode SADLY MADLY BRADLEY. Howard tries to attract Cleggy's attention by floating a balloon at Cleggys window. Norman cuts the string and then when Pearl shows up Howard tells her that it was Cleggy's. She asks him what is he doing with a balloon so he says what are you doing with him (pointing at Howard )
She sees Cleggy on the yard after a couple of minutes and says " how long have you been playing with balloons??" He says "Its just a passing fancy, something to keep me going till my skate board comes !":wink:

Great topic, this.

In Series One he makes sure that kid gets off that driving simulator, and gives Nora a load of gyp in Spring Fever.

In Series Two, he gives that secretary a load of gyp in The Changing Face of Rural Blamire.

He seems quite relaxed in Series Three, but I think all concerned had realised it worked best if Blamire or Foggy got uptight with people, while Clegg and Compo just went with the flow.

If I recally correctly, he really noticeably changes at the start of the Seymour era. There are still glimpses of him after that, but that is where the later version of Clegg becomes more dominant.

If you want to really try and justify it, I guess you could argue that his "off camera" original encounter with Marina (even though they retconned it later) changed him. I'm referring to the events of the play where Marina, Howard, Pearl, and Crusher were first created. The actors apparently considered those events "canon" as when those characters were introduced in the show there are references to earlier unexplained events. As those characters were all brought on board in Series 8, if kind of fits the changes in Clegg if we assume the play events happened between Series 7 and 8.

Though he changed a bit through the 31 series, it's very commendable how gradual the change was, so it really did look like he was simply getting older and wiser. Perfect acting really.

In the very early days though, he did have more of a northern accent, which, like so many actors, he didn't bother with as time went on. I don't think he needed a strong accent, just the distinctive Sallis voice was all he needed.

I enjoyed the early Clegg also Marianna, for the same reason. Did not in the softening of the character. The one thing that did bother me is how they made him terrified of women. I know the Marina situation added to the show , but I think taking it as far as they did ,they practically turned him into a monk. I like his references to the time when he was married. When they would bring up women in the later series, if you didn't know the beginning of the show, you may not know that he had ever been married. I enjoyed the feisty Clegg too!::)

In one of the earlier episodes he comes out with the " The worlds not got so many silly beggars, We cant afford to lose any more!"
In a later Truly episode Billy says "Its hard to get a serious conversation around here!"
Cleggy replies "we think its because we mostly meet idiots!!"

So much for the silly beggars! :22:

I liked Clegg in his later guise but at the start he reflected as we were then the world was different rougher and blunt also scruffier .Everything was rundown but in later years the world softened as did Clegg he definitely was timid and rightly so was wary of women (I know my place) Foggy was also a lot on the wary side and definitely scared of women if you watched carefully all the men regulars changed over time.

Back