Charity shops

Sue

Dedicated Member
My daughter is manageress at one of the local charity shops. She has been told that she has to take in 250 bags of goods per week. The idea is that they then sell on the stuff at £10 per bag. Seeing that a lot of the bags will contain possibly goods worth selling on for no more than £2, this is a joke. I told her to write a book about her experience, it would be a best seller! Hey Ho.

How often do you see on FLOGIT , ANTIQUES ROADSHOW etc, stuff that was bought in a charity shop and then sells for ££££s at auction.?? If charity shops tried for large prices no-one would go in!

sue, 250 bags a week seems an awful lot to ask but then i dont know the ins and outs....i only mention it because i retire in a couple of months and want to get involved in local charity, probably the local hospice, and reading your post shows i could be in for a sharp learning curve...look forward to the challenge.

sue, 250 bags a week seems an awful lot to ask but then i dont know the ins and outs....i only mention it because i retire in a couple of months and want to get involved in local charity, probably the local hospice, and reading your post shows i could be in for a sharp learning curve...look forward to the challenge.

Tam says that the only way she can get that number of bags is to stand in the street and threaten people. Yesterday she put out a coat worth £100 at the knock down price of £40. It was stolen within minutes. But don't let me put you off, the job in it's self is rewarding and fun. You certainly see life.

How often do you see on FLOGIT , ANTIQUES ROADSHOW etc, stuff that was bought in a charity shop and then sells for ££££s at auction.?? If charity shops tried for large prices no-one would go in!

You are verty right,,, Just because it is a Charity Shop they expect things for nothing. Not realizing that the purpose is to help Charities.

Our local "charity shop" here in Ohio is called Goodwill (run by Goodwill Industries which is a charity) and has changed quite a bit in the last 10 years. Before that you could really find some unique, and yes valuable finds, but now they train their staff to look for collectibles and antiques. I was ther tonight and they had a 1980's Mickey Mouse figurine that was cracked for $10. (Completely overpriced), but I found a 1950's lucite mirror for $1 which was a bargain! Good place to find books and fashion jewelry too!

Occasionally I have ventured into charity shops - usually when out with my spouse, and I have found brand new mens ties for under £2. Pure silk and the sort made to originally retail at £30 or more. Absolute bargain - that is if you still wear a tie!

But some they want £5 for a tie, and it seems the tie price is a good barometer of their overall pricing policy. Mind you I have also seen some disreputable rags -as seen around the trousers of welly-clad people - being offered at these prices.

There is a charity shop in Marsden I love to call in, they always have some weird and unusual stuff. Sadly, it is not Aunty Wainwrights.

My wife and i often have a mooch around charity shops but i've found that the price of some of the things for sale has been blown up by people looking on e-bay for a guide price but i don't really mind as has been said before the money goes to a good cause. I actually spend more time stood outside the shops with our dogs-apart from the Lakes and Derbyshire where you can usually take them in- but i enjoy talking to the locals as i wait for my wife. Very friendly folk in Holmfirth, they always stop for a chat.

i agree ferret that it all goes to good causes, but of course they are very much businesses and if they are to survive then the shops have to be run upon these lines...having said that me and my wife love seeking them out, not so difficult these days, unfortunatelly in a sense, but i still find them welcoming and find some lovely stuff....books usually for me and scarves and belts for my wife.

meant to ask members if they can tell of places where it might be said to be charity shop land...i say this because although many charity shops are occupying vacated premises about 5 years ago before the economic crisis took hold in wetherby in yorkshire we visited 6 charity shops in 1 small market town.

meant to ask members if they can tell of places where it might be said to be charity shop land...i say this because although many charity shops are occupying vacated premises about 5 years ago before the economic crisis took hold in wetherby in yorkshire we visited 6 charity shops in 1 small market town.
You name it ,there is a charity shop for it in my home town :-\

I was at a party last year, down here in Surrey. One of the guests lives in Shelley, not too far from Holmfirth. She told me she worked in a charity shop in Holmfirth. We have been there and they have used it in an episode. One of the later ones where Nora and Ivy are volunteers.

Every time I go to my local town there seems to be another one opened up.

Strange as it may be you can find worthy stuff in Charity shops. I personally love to roam around them.. You never know what you are going to find..

I did not realise just how much work and thought went into these shops until my daughter went to work there. She has been on seminars, courses, and since being made manageress she has to go to meetings regularly. They have to change the stock on the shelves every week, nothing stays there longer than a fortnight.
I was looking in M&S last week for a cardingan, there was nothing suitable at all. I went in to Age UK and found just what I was looking for! And it was under a fiver, M&S wanted thirty pounds!

i was chatting with my brother in law today who is in the process of refitting his kitchen...he has alovely unmarked oak dining room table and chairs surplus to requirements...so he ran the salvation army to see if they wanted them..the guys turned up in a van and said they would have to "inspect it"...then good god they wouldnt take it because there were only 5 chairs not 6...makes you wonder !!!!

Interesting figures in today's Herald.

Percentage of empty store premises:

10.9% for UK as a total (down from 11.3% last October).
10.2% for Scotland (up from 9.9% last October and 9.1% last January)
17.2% for Northern Ireland
17% for Wales

I do assume charity shops are additional to this. The number in Dunfermline is staggering. Cancer Relief, for example,has two shops about a quarter of a mile apart.

Back