Cigarettes

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
In some of the the cafe scenes there is a shelf behind the counter which has cigarette packets, probably only in the earlier series, yet I can never recall anyone buying cigarettes from the cafe or any other shop shown in the series, yet in the 70/80's it would be a normal thing to do on a daily basis

Smoking wasn't a aTaboo subject then as it is now. Its a strange thing as some of the main cast were shown smoking in the early days. Nowadays most programmes steer away from smoking scenes as they would probably get slaughtered by the critics or the anti smoking brigade. I remember the days of sports being sponsored by cigarette companies such as embassy for the world snooker and the john player special racing team.

How long before they attack E-cigs the same? One report suggested that they'd given mice certain cancers with E-cigs.:sick:

It seems to me that no matter what they do with mice they get cancer! But, I'm glad smoking is becoming more anti socially accepted. I speak as an ex smoker of 15 years now. I'd hate to see my kids grandkids doing it.

It seems to me that no matter what they do with mice they get cancer! But, I'm glad smoking is becoming more anti socially accepted. I speak as an ex smoker of 15 years now. I'd hate to see my kids grandkids doing it.
It killed my wife and both her parents!!

It killed my wife and both her parents!!

I smoked 3-4 packs of Camels and Luckies (all unfiltered) from when
I was about 15 till maybe 35 (20 years?). Started riding a bike seriously,
quit the weed, and have survived so far to 72 (knock on wood). So
far no lingering effects but we shall see ....

My Dad had stopped for years and years but when my Mom started
suffering from dementia he started up again and died only a few days
after my Mom died.

I'm an ex-smoker, about a pack a day of Marlboros from 1972 to about 1982. Had tried to quit many times with no success when suddenly a drag on my first cigarette of the day caused instant wooziness. Same thing happened with the next one I tried and that was the end of my smoking. I have no idea what caused the woozy feeling, but I'm glad it happened as it set up an apparently permanent strong aversion to smoking.

Killed my old man smoked Capstan and when he couldn't get them Players , started at 14 but at the time it was seen as fashionable especially when all the big stars like Bogart and John Wayne were always photographed with a cigarette in their hand.

They're already have to be hidden away behind doors and it won't be long before they passed over the counter in plain white wrappers. As for the E cigs, I really don't see the point to be honest.

It still seems fairly fashionable for teenagers to smoke.

A large number STILL take it up these days.

WHY?

Schools and TV have educated the young about the dangers of smoking. Older relatives would or should have advised most strongly against it. After all the warnings over the last 40 years or whatever it is, and you see an 18 year old smoking.

It doesn't make sense.

Its interesting how quickly the show changed on the subject. The first two series have the whole trio smoking regularly, with Blamire exhibiting a cough quite often as well. Then when Foggy was introduced he was positioned a big opponent and you never saw Clegg smoke after that. Compo, who was always bumming them before that, was only shown smoking a few more times after that.

It still seems fairly fashionable for teenagers to smoke.
A large number STILL take it up these days.
WHY?
Schools and TV have educated the young about the dangers of smoking. Older relatives would or should have advised most strongly against it. After all the warnings over the last 40 years or whatever it is, and you see an 18 year old smoking.
It doesn't make sense.

Why? Because they're teenagers and their elders and other authority figures are advising against it.

Its interesting how quickly the show changed on the subject. The first two series have the whole trio smoking regularly, with Blamire exhibiting a cough quite often as well. Then when Foggy was introduced he was positioned a big opponent and you never saw Clegg smoke after that. Compo, who was always bumming them before that, was only shown smoking a few more times after that.
He did it into the Seymour years a few times, HEAVILY REINFORCED BOTTOM. in particular (If you're not wheezing , you have parts that badly need oiling!) :mad: :confused:

I must admit to never having smoked at all both parents smoked think this put me off and a friend who was a heavy smoker passed away young with cancer think the young are stupid and mothers who smoke all over children a disgrace.Rant over!

Hi Don you are right wesley smoked in Happy Anniversary Gough and Jessie in 1989.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I right in thinking that Nora smoked as well in some very early episode's?

Back