Clem Hemmingway

wstol

Dedicated Member
In the brilliant That Certain Smile we met Clem Hemmingway who was then known as Smiler two years later.

However, there was never an episode where both names were used; in fact Clem was only used in that first episode.

Even the womenfolk didn't refer to him as Clem or Mr Hemmingway after his first episode.

Also, I wonder if his alias CW Northrop consists of the name Clem?

Presumably Roy Clarke thought the nickname Smiler was funnier, but I can't say I do.

Talking of Stephen Lewis, anyone know how he's doing? I gather he's something of a recluse nowadays.

So I am confused....in the storyline, was Smiler the same character as Clem Hemingway and it was just chosen to give him a nickname?

I think the name "Clem Hemingway" has a nice ring to it, although since he became a regular they might have figured "Clem" was to similar in name to "Clegg". Although he could have ben referred to just "Hemingway".

In Stephen Lewis' first episode yes, but they only ever used his nickname Smiler in all subsequent episodes.

Please forgive my poor spelling of Hemingway.

Correct. THis was overcome by Nora referring to him as "the one they call Smiler" early on in his full time inclusion, which obviated the need to use any formal name after that. The die was cast and he was known as Smiler by everyone.

So I am confused....in the storyline, was Smiler the same character as Clem Hemingway and it was just chosen to give him a nickname?

Yes. His intro was in "That certain Smile" and the nickname came from that, although his full time introduction was a good while after.

I'm not really into nicknames, but I think there's more amusement from a name like Clem Hemingway than a name like Smiler.

Its a funny nickname as its ironic I suppose,Peter Sallis likened the trio to Badger,Ratty and Mole,but if they were Winnie The Pooh characters,Smiler could easily be Eyore and Compo Tigger

Its a funny nickname as its ironic I suppose,Peter Sallis likened the trio to Badger,Ratty and Mole,but if they were Winnie The Pooh characters,Smiler could easily be Eyore and Compo Tigger
There has always been an irony with nicknames in Britain.Smiler got his because of his long doleful face (ie the opposite of how he looked)A short man inevitably became Lofty etc. (remember the nickname that JIM DAVIDSON got into trouble for??His mate was afro-caribean and Jim used the word Chalky to describe him)

I wonder if there is not a point being missed here. Look at the time between "A Certain Smile" in the middle of Series #10 and "A Landlady for Smiler" right at the end of Series #12, over two series later, and that was really an introduction for Series #13 where Smiler became a regular.
Surely, in "A Certain Smile" Stephen Lewis was a guest star playing the incidental part of Clem Hemingway - I presume Clem is short for Clement. There is no need for a nickname.
At a later time the concept of bringing Stephen Lewis into permanent cast is made and nickname is thought necessary. In many ways Clem Hemingway in "A Certain Smile" is totally irrelevant to Smiler. I am reminded a bit of June Whitfield as Delphi in "Potts in Pole Position" coming in as Nelly much later. For general public Smiler would have been a completely new character.

So he appears in an episode called "That certain SMILE" as a right misery and then a while later he reappears as a character called Smiler who is a right misery....and its just a coincidence?

In A Certain Smile he had his little dog and in A Landlady For Smiler I remember him saying "we were alright while we had our little dog" and when the dog went they realised they had nothing to talk about

In A Certain Smile he had his little dog and in A Landlady For Smiler I remember him saying "we were alright while we had our little dog" and when the dog went they realised they had nothing to talk about

Indeed

So he appears in an episode called "That certain SMILE" as a right misery and then a while later he reappears as a character called Smiler who is a right misery....and its just a coincidence?

Nobody is saying it is a coincidence or otherwise. This is an irrelevancy, a total non sequitur. This discussion is around the fact that in "A Certain Smile" he is Clem Hemingway. When he becomes a regular he is known as Smiler. The episode of "A Certain Smile" and Clem Hemingway is not a pre-requisite for Smiler. Obviously some time after he first appeared Roy Clarke decided that there was a possibility in using Stephen Lewis on a permanent basis.

You're saying Roy Clarke wrote Clem as a one off, probably with no special in mind? Then, following a positive audience reaction, brought him back with a minor changes to suit potential storylines; like making him alone with no dog nor wife, to make more miserable and a lodger with Nora Batty.

I can understand why Roy Clarke thought it might be a good idea to give him a nickname, but he was never known as Clem Hemingway ever again, yet Compo was occasionally called Mr Simonnite.

Nobody is saying it is a coincidence or otherwise. This is an irrelevancy, a total non sequitur. This discussion is around the fact that in "A Certain Smile" he is Clem Hemingway. When he becomes a regular he is known as Smiler. The episode of "A Certain Smile" and Clem Hemingway is not a pre-requisite for Smiler. Obviously some time after he first appeared Roy Clarke decided that there was a possibility in using Stephen Lewis on a permanent basis.

Let's just agree to disagree then.

You are half right, but of course Clem Hemmingway is a pre-requisite for Smiler, which is why when he appears in series 12, the trio ALREADY KNOW HIM.....just as they already know Wesley in The Loxley Lozenge, as they have met him before in Car and Garter an episode where HE HAD AN INTRODUCTION....WEsley was playing a guest part and was then used as a regular, just the same as with Smiler.

Billy, Alvin, Entwistle, Wesley, Howard even Coggy Duckworth had introduction episodes with a view to there being a possibility of them being used on a permanent basis. There were 2 years between Wesleys 1st and 2nd appearance, but he was still the same character....Smiler is Clem, that is why he was called Smiler after the name of the first episode he appeared in. Just watch A Landlady for Smiler again, the whole transition is explained with some artistic license. Two years have passed, the little Dog we meet in A Certain Smile has died and the wife he had has gone to Australia, those are the circumstances which lead him back into the show.

The lads greet him in his second appearance as someone they know and that is because they know him from a previous appearance (jiust like Wesley and Howard and Billy and Auntie Wainwright etc etc etc)....and just as his life circumstances have changed in those 2 years due to artistic licence, so presumably has his nickname which is derived from the very epsiode title that he first appeared in. The lads are aware of his change in ciurcumstances between his appearances, as evidenced from their immediate chat upon meeting him in A Landlady for Smiler, so presumably they have been in contact with him, that is the inference and it doesnt take much working out from there.

Of Course A Certain Smile has relevance to the appearance of Smiler and of course that was his introduction episode, that is why he didnt need another one in series 12....and yes of course originally he was just playing the part of Clem to start with as a one off to test the water, just as every new character was in that era. But to deny that there is a link between the two and in your words...."For general public Smiler would have been a completely new character" is wrong, and obviously wrong.

The way I see it is the first appearance of Clem in That Certain Smile was a one off, with no plans to make this a regular character. I think his second appearance in A Landlady for Smiler was the episode where Roy Clarke was 'testing' this character for further appearances in the next series.

In A Landlady for Smiler the character was slightly changed to suit the situation, but I think most changes were explained to suit continuity. There is no reason just because 'Smiler' had become Nora's lodger at the end of Series 12 that he had to remain there for Series 13.

The way I see it is the first appearance of Clem in That Certain Smile was a one off, with no plans to make this a regular character. I think his second appearance in A Landlady for Smiler was the episode where Roy Clarke was 'testing' this character for further appearances in the next series.

In A Landlady for Smiler the character was slightly changed to suit the situation, but I think most changes were explained to suit continuity. There is no reason just because 'Smiler' had become Nora's lodger at the end of Series 12 that he had to remain there for Series 13.

All of that is entirely true and isn't in dispute. As I said above, in that era there were a couple of new characters introduced that "were too good to let go" in Roy's words...like Howard, Wesley, Edie etc....who were there as a one off to start with but then were re-introduced either quickly, or with a time lag, such as Wesley who waited 2 years between Car and Garter and The Loxley Lozenge, just like Clem/Smiler did.
What we are debating now, and the nub of the issue is..."Does Clem have any relevance to Smiler and are they the same character?"
And the answer is YES they are and YES he does. A Certain Smile was his intro and with a slight change in circumstances, he rappears 2 years later in A Landlady for Smiler.
We meet him in A Certain Smile where he has a Wife and a little Dog. We meet him again and what nickname has Roy chosen for him? Tinker? Laugher? Tiger? No. The little Dog and the wife ha had when we first met him are mentioned again in his 2nd appearance, but their demise has led him back into the series....He is the same character, plainly, with a touch of modification to ease his path back in.

strange in one episode Smiler jumpd off bridge to escape Marina and in another he found out she was his blind date but stayed put

Back