Condensed Milk Sandwiches

WesleyRocks

Dedicated Member
Okay, In another Britcom called "I didn't know you cared" , Uncle Mort always talked about eating condensed milk sandwiches. Being from the states and all, is a condensed milk sandwich something that you really eat? And is it simply spreading condensed milk on bread? I've always wanted to try one but I wasn't sure how to make one or even if in the states our condensed milk is the same??
Just a thought.

Can't say much about the comparison with U S condensed milk but as I remember it this side of the pond it was similar to a spoonful of wet sugar when I tried it years ago!( not runny but sticky) My father in law spoke of just spreading it on plain bread (no butter in his youth ) saying that it kept hunger at bay for a while. :p :-\

I think its something our grannies ate, its not something I fancy ???

Okay, Uncle Mort did mention something about that in the show, keep the hunger at bay. I love this site, I have only lived in Pennsylvania and Florida, and I love learning about new foods, customs, and such. And by the way, what is a meat pie? I always hear the talking the guys talking about going to sids and getting a meat pie, Is it a Lunch/Supper food or a Breakfast food?
Sorry about being so inquisitive.

My friend was talking about condensed milk sandwiches the other day. She used to have them as a kid. My uncle Dai used to stir it into his tea. As regards meat pie, You generally get them in a chippy to go with your chips, or I make mine by slowly simmering either choppped up chuck steak or minced beef for about an hour or 90 minutes in water or beef stock with a bit of salt and pepper, then making a gravy out of the stock. Then you make a bit of short crust pastry, sometimes with a pinch of dried mustard in it, line the dish, bake it blind for 15 minutes fill with the meat and gravy, pastry over the top, eggwash it, bake for 40 minutes or so, and eat.
Nice. Yeah, sort of tea time dish I suppose, but I have been known to eat it for breakfast. But then, I've got a stomach like a blast furnace.

My friend was talking about condensed milk sandwiches the other day. She used to have them as a kid. My uncle Dai used to stir it into his tea. As regards meat pie, You generally get them in a chippy to go with your chips, or I make mine by slowly simmering either choppped up chuck steak or minced beef for about an hour or 90 minutes in water or beef stock with a bit of salt and pepper, then making a gravy out of the stock. Then you make a bit of short crust pastry, sometimes with a pinch of dried mustard in it, line the dish, bake it blind for 15 minutes fill with the meat and gravy, pastry over the top, eggwash it, bake for 40 minutes or so, and eat.
Nice. Yeah, sort of tea time dish I suppose, but I have been known to eat it for breakfast. But then, I've got a stomach like a blast furnace.

Great, Thank you. So it is truly a meat pie. Awesome.Sounds delicious. Might try making one, thank you.

Kippers and carnation milk? Nah, thats new to me!

Me too :eek:

Regarding meat pies, has said above by Rhi you can get steak pies, mince meat pies or chichen pies all very nice with chips or with some mash and veg.

My husband works at Walkers pies and he brings any new range their trying out home, trush me you can get any meat combo in a pie also any kind of pastry short crust, puff even with a pork pie pastry. ;D

Okay, Uncle Mort did mention something about that in the show, keep the hunger at bay. I love this site, I have only lived in Pennsylvania and Florida, and I love learning about new foods, customs, and such. And by the way, what is a meat pie? I always hear the talking the guys talking about going to sids and getting a meat pie, Is it a Lunch/Supper food or a Breakfast food?

Always remember Pennsylvania (Punxsutawney) friends being fascinated when I referred to "Toad in the Hole"

[/quote
Always remember Pennsylvania (Punxsutawney) friends being fascinated when I referred to "Toad in the Hole"

mm Toad in the hole, lovely. I struggle to get decent sausages now though :(

Not had Toad in the hole for ages.Think i will make it next week some time. :)

3 of us. Haven't had toad in the hole for years.

I could be wrong (and I reiterate that I get much practice) but I seem to recall that in US "Toad in the Hole" can be called "Pigs in a Blanket".

This is all fascinating - well, I do find the subject of food fascinating. I used to visit the US a lot in my working days but have not been there for ten years now. Two things of recent discussion I never noticed or even thought about there are condensed milk and pies. I note that condensed milk would seem to be available there but I never had call for it in my visits. A lovely sticky sweet consistency. I am trying to recall in what recipes I have used it.

An aside - I used to enjoy White Russian cocktails but for that you need a dairy product called "half and half". It is somerthing we no not have in the UK to my knowledge.

Now in all the years I was there I never noticed the lack of pies. Fascinating - strikes me as a real culture difference. Mind, it would certainly not surprise me if there are parts of the US where they are not unknown - particularly inland states. My work was with the Navy so inherently I visited coastal states, particularly East Coast. We must not forget the Don McLean album, "American Pie"

I note that Wikipedia says this:

"Meat pies with fillings such as steak, cheese, steak and kidney, minced beef, or chicken and mushroom are popular in the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand as take-away snacks. They are also served with chips as an alternative to fish and chips at British chip shops.

Pot pies with a flaky crust and bottom are also a popular American dish, typically with a filling of meat (particularly beef, chicken or turkey), gravy, and mixed vegetables (potatoes, carrots and peas). Frozen pot pies are often sold in individual serving size.

Fruit pies may be served with a scoop of ice cream, a style known in North America as pie à la mode. Many sweet pies are served this way. Apple pie is a traditional choice, though any pie with sweet fillings may be served à la mode. This combination, and possibly the name as well, is thought to have been popularized in the mid-1890s in the United States."

I also note that Australian pies seem to be gaining popularity in the US. See:
http://www.watoday.com.au/world/aussie-meat-pies-gaining-fans-in-us-20120303-1u9if.html

Reminds me that in later days of my visiting there I got to like the "Outback Steakhouse" chain - did enjoy their "Blooming Onion".

Condensed milk was used by some mountaineering friends of mine as a source of instant energy. It is milk preserved with a large quantity of sugar and is a slightly running white liquid - they used to pierce two holes in the top of the tin and suck it out through one of them, the other allowing air to displace the contents thus sucked.

My father used it in a signalbox in the late 1940s for his tea. There was a stove to warm the box and boil water but no such thing as a refrigerator so condensed milk provided milk and sugar in one go. Ordinary milk would have gone off during the eight hour shift and once opened it would last for some while although if not touched would develop a crust on top. Fussell's was the brand of choice I recall.

It tastes a bit like cheap white chocolate which does not have a very chocolatey taste.

Not to be confused with evaporated milk.

Back