Contemplating custom plate

Time for renewal so might put one of these on the car. Would like to know what your preference is.

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 3 75.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Varies but about $64 USD first year. A little less to renew.
Customizing one of the specialty plates brings it down to $51 it seems. It's an expensive vanity plate (some U.S. states are cheaper) to be sure.
In the UK you can only have a registration that has previously been issued - so to get something like "TB 1" it will have to be from a very old car that has been scrapped, we can't just choose any combination. The "cherished" plate on my car is an Irish number form a scrapped motorbike, as until fairly recently, that was the only way you could have a "Z" on a plate. Mine cost about £100, 25-ish years ago - but it costs £80 to swap from one vehicle to another. Mine has been on three cars and two motorbikes!

Save your money. Very few over here are going to recognize any of those characters, and if you explain it to anyone, they won't be able to assimilate the significance.

If you want to stump 'em, go with "ETPHHM". I followed that number plate for weeks commuting to work before I figured it out.

That's really interesting, it sounds like you lease them off your local state driving office. I've bought a couple of private plates myself. Here in the UK you buy your private registration outright (which are known as cherished plates) you can either buy them at issue from the Driving & Vehicle Licensing Authority or get them on the secondary market. However once you've paid a small administrative fee to transfer the paperwork to your name you own them for life or until you sell them on again. They vary in price from a few hundred pounds to several hundred thousand pounds for really sought after numbers, ie 1 JS, 1 SB etc.

Rumour has it Terry owns both 1 TB & TB 1........
That is a incorrect vicious inaccurate rumour, as I also have TB 0

You do have the enviable accolade of having your very own private plate appearing in an episode of LOTSW now that's pretty cool :cool:

When Cleggy got stuck up the tree they called International Rescue but Thunderbird 1 or TB1 for short was in Lincolnshire , Cleggy couldn't hang on so they got the Fire Brigade instead . Given the number of mishaps in LOTSW you need to consider stationing TB4 in Holmfirth or Jackson Bridge Terry :)

Back