Desert Island DVD's

Great Analogy Barry, does that make Tommy Norm!!! I have watched it countless times and I never tire of it bit like our beloved show . It's so true to life I have been in countless bars just like that in terms of the characters well except Phil and Nige but sure in days gone by your average bobby always enjoyed a swift half on his way around his beat.
I used to drink with an ex police sargeant in our local club. He worked in the ‘60/70 and early ‘80’s and told me some right tales of what went on when they visited the pubs in Manchester!!
He sadly passed away last year.

I remember growing up in a small village in Cheshire we had our own village policeman (now much a thing of the past) thinking of him I can really see where the word Bobby's Job comes from. Basically he was only ever seen at village fetes, parish council meetings and the carnival, he had his own lovely police home near the main street. He was PC Morrow and all the locals called him Tom Morrow as that's when he was expected to turn up to urgent calls :D

I'd be interested to see what other comedies members like, to see if there are similarities. If you were sent to a desert island and allowed to take only 4 DVD sets to watch which would the 3 extra be. Of course the LOTSW full set would be taken as a given!

Remember it can only be 3 different comedies. Although really tricky to choose mine in order of preference would be;

Keeping Up Appearances
Dear Ladies
Dinnerladies

What would yours be?????
To the Manor Born
The Old Guys
Still Game

Up Pompeii Marianna? I wouldn't have expected THAT!
While I enjoyed it (and its spinoff shows and movies) at the time, and still get the occasional "titter" out of it if I catch it these days, I wouldn't have picked you as a Frankie Howerd fan.:13:

Up Pompeii Marianna? I wouldn't have expected THAT!
While I enjoyed it (and its spinoff shows and movies) at the time, and still get the occasional "titter" out of it if I catch it these days, I wouldn't have picked you as a Frankie Howerd fan.:13:
I'm not particularly a fan of Frankie Howerd, just of that particular show and the way he played the part.

I absolutely love Frankie Howerd , he's old school like Ken Dodd who worked and worked at his craft until he perfected it .He went through some torrid times and some really great times but Up Pompeii was one of his major achievements alongside some of his interviews with Parky and Russell Harty. He made Whoops Baghdad and Then Churchill said to me believing the same formula would work but neither were really a patch on Up Pompeii . One of his greatest achievements late in life was the appearance at the Oxford Students Union where they hung on his every word . He was so economic with his words that he effectively did the same sort of act his whole life , terribly insecure like lots of comedians but a real star:)

I absolutely love Frankie Howerd , he's old school like Ken Dodd who worked and worked at his craft until he perfected it .He went through some torrid times and some really great times but Up Pompeii was one of his major achievements alongside some of his interviews with Parky and Russell Harty. He made Whoops Baghdad and Then Churchill said to me believing the same formula would work but neither were really a patch on Up Pompeii . One of his greatest achievements late in life was the appearance at the Oxford Students Union where they hung on his every word . He was so economic with his words that he effectively did the same sort of act his whole life , terribly insecure like lots of comedians but a real star:)
If you're a fan CC have you seen this?, I'm going to watch this at our local theatre, but I'm pretty sure they'll be touring

I haven't but I have watched Frankie's This is your life when Dennis Heymer was introduced as writer and Manager when he was indeed Frankie's partner . In his shows he was always portrayed as a great womaniser when nothing could be further from the truth and their relationship was publicly kept very hush hush to protect Frankie's reputation . They met when Dennis was a waiter in the Dorchester and it blossomed from there even though it was illegal . I also saw a documentary about their house at Wavering Down the strangest of many strange things about the house that Frankie's wig was buried in a special place in the garden and I'm sure Dennis had dug it up several times and he could smell the stale cigar smoke on it .

I started to read Howerds biography but found it heavy going tbh.

On the same subject I'm off to see Jon Culshaw's tribute show to Les Dawson next month, he is my favorite comedian of all time! Not sure if you've seen any of the videos but he has got his voice and mannerisms down to a T

Laurel & Hardy, Last of the Summer Wine, Benidorm. If I could have more than 3 would also include One Foot in the Grave, Porridge and Bottom.

Back