Digley Reservoir

Thank you so much codfanglers,it is beautiful out there but what makes it extra special is that you’re following in the footsteps of our wonderful characters,thank you for the comment,all the best and take care :)
Oh, I know......I am across the pond with school-age kids. It will be a while until I make my way over there but I long to visit so many of their spots; the pubs, hills, creeks, etc.

I really hope you do codfanglers,and in the meantime enjoy the photos and threads on this great forum,yesterday I passed the pub they they called in on Three men and a mangle,it’s had a million pound makeover and is now a restaurant and luxury accommodation,you (and they) wouldn’t recognise it now,but at least it’s better than knocking them down or converting them into something else,Seymours house isn’t far away and that’s now a place for wedding venues and you can stay there too,good to see our Summer wine locations thriving,I called in the Butchers Arms on my way home and it is beautiful inside and thriving.Good luck with your dream to come over,hold on to it.

The really sad thing is with each passing year less and less people know about the Holmfirth/LOTSW link, the younger generations may have never even heard of the series. I've noticed less and less SummerWine tourists in Holmfirth on each of my subsequent visits, I'm not sure whether you agree Chuffer living a lot closer ?

The really sad thing is with each passing year less and less people know about the Holmfirth/LOTSW link, the younger generations may have never even heard of the series. I've noticed less and less SummerWine tourists in Holmfirth on each of my subsequent visits, I'm not sure whether you agree Chuffer living a lot closer ?
I agree entirely Barry,there’s just the tour bus with one man running it,and when he was in hospital earlier this year it didn’t run at all for a long time,and there’s one shop that has a couple of pictures and postcards hidden away,they closed down the tourist information centre but thankfully there’s still the Summer Wine exhibition,you could genuinely come to Holmfirth and not know a thing about it’s connections to LOTSW,and in places like Marsden where at least as many scenes were filmed there has never been anything at all to promote the show,and of course like you say with the younger audience even more so,I saw an article a few days ago in on online newspaper and the headline was “Embarrassing tv from the 80’s and 90’s“ and there was a photo of our trio in the cafe and underneath it said something like How much would you have to be paid to watch this today,I found it hugely disrespectful for a show loved by so many that means so much to so many that ran for so long,so yes without doubt Barry the impact of Summer Wine is waning to say it’s still the most watched repeat,even the tour bus has changed it’s name from Last of the Summer Wine tour to Holmfirth tour,but I feel there will always be many of us that have such a strong feeling for the show and connection to the places,and that will never go away.

I really hope you do codfanglers,and in the meantime enjoy the photos and threads on this great forum,yesterday I passed the pub they they called in on Three men and a mangle,it’s had a million pound makeover and is now a restaurant and luxury accommodation,you (and they) wouldn’t recognise it now,but at least it’s better than knocking them down or converting them into something else,Seymours house isn’t far away and that’s now a place for wedding venues and you can stay there too,good to see our Summer wine locations thriving,I called in the Butchers Arms on my way home and it is beautiful inside and thriving.Good luck with your dream to come over,hold on to it.
Yes, I heard a lot of pubs have changed drastically and visiting many of them wouldn't be the same.

Staying at Seymour's house would be awesome. I was always intrigued by that area.

This is the article Barry.
How much would they have to pay you to watch,how dare they,I feel like writing to the author of this :20:
View attachment 4525
Perhaps it's an age thing, but I very much doubt the tripe they churn out these days will be remembered in 18 months let alone 18 years! I've said this before but our harmless innocent gentle comedy would never get past woke censors these days so would have never been aired in the first place. Apologies but it really annoys me when people take a pop at this wonderful series which has outlasted all other comedies for good reason! :mad::mad::mad:

Perhaps it's an age thing, but I very much doubt the tripe they churn out these days will be remembered in 18 months let alone 18 years! I've said this before but our harmless innocent gentle comedy would never get past woke censors these days so would have never been aired in the first place. Apologies but it really annoys me when people take a pop at this wonderful series which has outlasted all other comedies for good reason! :mad::mad::mad:
Could not have put it better

I've just watched a recent episodes of The BBC's Escape To The Country and the presenter is showing the buyers around Holmfirth, she chronicles Holmfirths industrial past, there's even a distant shot of The Wrinkled Stocking yet they make absolutely no reference to LOTSW

Went by Seymours old house today,the long driveway is still recognisable but the letterbox has long gone,it’s called Riddle Pit farm now and it was for sale for an asking price of 1.2 million,if you look at it online it’s now a wedding venue,imagine getting married at Seymours house,how great would that be,and there is also accommodation there at Codfanglers cottage,it’s 3.7 miles from the centre of Holmfirth,yet another of our former loved properties blossoming and moving forward rather than becoming derelict or converted into something completely different
869865A0-19C8-4F0F-9EBE-C209273FC032.jpeg4945CD72-0786-4641-A3AB-7B788993B7F7.jpeg

A mile away from Seymours,2.7 miles from Holmfirth is the last remaining pub in Hade Edge,pretty much across the road from Barry and Glenda’s house,it’s the pub that was featured in Three men and a mangle when the landlord wasn’t pleased to see them turn up with the mangle,I think it was the Bay Horse then,more recently it was the Algy Arms,a small and run down pub and Hade Edge looked like losing it’s eigth and last pub,leaving none,but it has been bought by the brother and sister that own the Nook pub and brewery in the centre of Holmfirth and after a 1 million pound refurbishment it’s now luxury accommodation and a restaurant called the Boshaw Trout,when they were doing it up I used to say to my wife I hope they call it The Mangle,or The three men and mangle,but instead they named it after a fish in nearby Boshaw Reservoir,I like my idea better,they know only two well of their brief association with the show as I have read news articles about it and Last of the Summer wine is always referred to,in fact in one local paper the huge headline was Last of the summer wine pub in one million pound refurbishmen,I’m glad to see these places doing well though,even if sometimes they’re unrecognisable from the places we remember,but it’s better than them being knocked down or turned into flats or something,all the best,Chuffer.
0A5D9A57-65FB-4764-93FA-214F96F25AAB.jpeg

Back