Everyone's favourite "outlaw "

MoodyBlue

Dedicated Member
A big "hello" to all my fellow members !!....i hope you are all well !!!
As you may have read,my posts are becoming a trifle " surreal".....from ivy's vanilla slices.....to our favourite hanglider [alvin !!].
Now i wish to have a little chat about mr .william hardcastle ....." a direct decendant of robin hood"....his mother was a "bristoe".
Now,i realise that billy is/was not everybody's "cup of tea" [or maybe a flaggon of mead in "our robin's " time] but i feel a genune affection for him!!.
He has a very endering personality,and i like the idea that his glass is always more than half full [as is alvin's].
I am curious how he suddenly "appeared" [he is excellent on the longbow -his words,not mine !!-....just look what he did to barry's plane,not to mention the demolition of the sign outside "the white horse" !!!!]
he just seemed to "appear",then he just seemed to "disappear" ????
I know that it is a"summerwine tradition" not to really mention characters when they have left the show,but i feel that "robin's distant cousin" still had a few more adventures to share with us [as long as his wife's sister wasn't involved in them !!!!!]
i would love to hear your comments on this lovely,daft character.....
Best wishes to each and everyone on our wonderful website !!!!!
Keith.
X!

I enjoyed the episodes with Keith Clifford as Billy. I think most of the forum members were of the same opinion in a recent thread . I believe he decided to leave rather than being written out but I stand to be corrected . As well as Corrie he seems to have had a decent career when you look at IMDB won an award for his portrayal of comedian Frank Randle . In the A - Z game a while back I put an entry saying he was Nat Jackley's love child [in jest] so I am including Nat's picture here as a reference
asset.php

I related to stories when he randomly shot arrows up in the sky not knowing what they would hit , we did that as kids having been bought bows and arrows from the world famous hoppings in Newcastle , but replacing the arrows with our own home made efforts with sharpened canes and cardboard flights . I also remembered a lad getting a proper bow for a present and him doing the same with a metal tipped arrow shooting it straight up in the air . There was a sort of pause before realising it was coming straight back down to where we stood and we all scattered just in time .

As you say it would have been good for him to remain in the show but at least it was his choice .

I related to stories when he randomly shot arrows up in the sky not knowing what they would hit , we did that as kids having been bought bows and arrows from the world famous hoppings in Newcastle , but replacing the arrows with our own home made efforts with sharpened canes and cardboard flights . I also remembered a lad getting a proper bow for a present and him doing the same with a metal tipped arrow shooting it straight up in the air . There was a sort of pause before realising it was coming straight back down to where we stood and we all scattered just in time .

As you say it would have been good for him to remain in the show but at least it was his choice .[/QUOTE]

Ah, but did you ever cut three holes in a Ping-Pong ball, stick it on your arrow, and create an 'authentic Robin Hood whistling arrow'?

Hello Keith. On a side note, I really enjoy your posts. Keep them up.

I as well am a big Billy fan. I thought he added a lot to the show when we no longer had a true trio. The side story about him being a direct descendant of Robin Hood adds to the humor. As a Yank, hearing about the dillusions of Robin Hood gives me a sense of northern British atmosphere (although that might be a false atmosphere). I think he was a bit like Foggy in that he had dillusions of being a warrior.

The best of Billy was often with archery mishaps. I would have liked to see more of that. However, my favorite all time Billy scene was the song andf dance with Howard in Gnome and Away. Here was a guy who thought he was a mighty warrior caught up in a very silly (perhaps emasculating) song and dance. The show suffered a bit with his loss.

Many thanks "codfanglers" !!!

Hello my friend !!!,and a big "hello" from liverpool !!!
Many,many thanks for your kind comment mate !!!!,it is very much appreciated !!.
Although i have been a summerwine "obsessive" for many a year [although i am only in my 40's],i am a new member of this wonderful "cyberfamily" of ours.
All i try to do in my posts is try to transfer the special "daftness",and " quirkyness " of this unique programme from the screen to my keyboard.
If one of my posts makes a fellow "summerwineite" [or whatever we are called !!] smile then i am "over the moon !!!".
People from liverpool are renouned for having a good sense of humour,so i will continue to act as silly as possible,obviously without upsetting any existing members [who,in the majority have been on our site a lot longer than me]
best wishes,as always,
keith.
X!

As you say it would have been good for him to remain in the show but at least it was his choice .

Ah, but did you ever cut three holes in a Ping-Pong ball, stick it on your arrow, and create an 'authentic Robin Hood whistling arrow'?[/QUOTE]

No I didn't but boy do I wish I had, never heard of that , brilliant!

Makes me want to get a bow and arrow and a ping pong ball! I could imagine it whistling in the wind. going to check You tube and see if anyone has it.
Couldn't find any.

The show suffered a bit with his loss.

I very much agree that losing Billy hurt the show, whatever the reason was. A trio going forward around Billy would have worked better, IMHO, then what they did later and Keith Clifford was still relatively young. I have a special affinity for the Billy era because that period was my introduction to LOTSW.

He hurt his back in an accident and could not do the stunts etc anymore a great loss to the show always liked his character I think he could have stayed to the end.

Back