Expired Horlicks?

RickAns

Dedicated Member
I bought some Horlicks a while ago after remembering Foggy talk about it. Wanted to give it a try. Drank some for a time, put it aside and forgot about it. It is made in the UK, think some are produced in India. The date on it says Best Before October 31th 2019. It does not smell any different or look different than when I first got it. Still a fine powder and not solidified into one big block.

My main question is... Is it still OK to use? Figure you overseas people would be more familiar with the product than me. Thanks.

On the net there is a video of a guy drinking a cup made up from a Jar of Horlicks 4 years out of date hard to tell if he thinks its off or he remembered why he didn't drink it when he bought it [his was a solid block] , I would think you would be fine Rick . With some out of date products you wouldn't think of eating/drinking but powdered ones you would go for it. I know people swear by Horlicks late at night because it helps them sleep with it being out of date Rick it may take longer to drop off and you might have to rely on counting sheep as well. :08:

Thank you captain. I would not have considered it a 'perishable' product. Not like a jug of milk or something :21:.

Thanks, Pearl. Good to get extra confirmation. Just in case the captain had a skinful of rum and was telling me a tall tail, hehe.

Mostly use it on the rare times the half gallon jugs of milk are sold out and I have to get a full gallon for the week. It helps me use up the extra milk. I like having cereal in the mornings. A carry over since I was a kid I think. Been drinking the Horlicks with cold milk maybe that is why I am not getting the sleepy effect people mention. All in all I appreciate the input.

Does anyone remember the Horlick sweets you used to get back in the '80's, they were lovely.

My Grandfather religiously ate milk and cereal everyday of his life , he sadly passed away and as a family we never got to say goodbye but there lies the irony because he died after falling face first into a bowl of Cheerios :08:;)

[Hopefully they sell Cheerios in the US or this tale will just not travel]

Yes, captain they sell Cheerios here too. Not had those in ages. Think I remember Glenda saying once that Barry was a fan of Mueslix.

A Horlicks sweet sounds interesting, ferret. I see that they made some 'cookie tablets' back in the 70's is that what you are referring to? Someone has a recipe for a Horlicks fudge that looks tasty. https://www.curryandvanilla.com/easy-horlicks-milk-powder-burfifudge/

--
@captain Maybe Pearl had to leave the keyboard and chase after Howard swinging her umbrella...

Last edited:
A Horlicks sweet sounds interesting, ferret. I see that they made some 'cookie tablets' back in the 70's is that what you are referring to? Someone has a recipe for a Horlicks fudge that looks tasty. https://www.curryandvanilla.com/easy-horlicks-milk-powder-burfifudge/
[/QUOTE]
In the 1940's they came in a little tin but when i used to have them in the early eighties they came in a tube. Little Horlicks malted sweets about the size of a UK penny, they also did a chocolate one.

Those sound tasty, ferret. I used to love malted milks balls candy. Probably still do, been a while since I had some. Something about the malted flavor I like. Maybe that is why I enjoy a nice Guinness... :21:

My Grandfather religiously ate milk and cereal everyday of his life , he sadly passed away and as a family we never got to say goodbye but there lies the irony because he died after falling face first into a bowl of Cheerios :08:;)

[Hopefully they sell Cheerios in the US or this tale will just not travel]

You should have written this on the jokes thread.

I remember losing all my marbles :cry2: ...........................................................I was such a hopeless player and that Billy Smith from form 2E took the lot!

Wakey Wakey Rick !! Rise and shine , time to get up sleepy head , it might be out of date but you don't have to use it up more than one spoonful at a time ! ;)

It is our Daylight Saving time thingy where we need to move the clocks ahead an hour this morning. Do you all do something like that in the UK? Move the clock ahead an hour in the Spring and back an hour in the Fall. The lawn is looking a little frosty this morning as well.

Back