Favorite Crisp flavour

I haven't had potato chips (crisps) since last winter, when I was in a nursing home for three months after a kidney infection and sepsis, and had no choice about the menus. When they served a ham and Swiss sandwich for lunch, the saltiness of the crisps that were served with them, that I crushed and added to the sandwich, saved the meal for me. Otherwise, Swiss cheese doesn't taste like cheese at all.

Before last winter, I hadn't eaten crisps in decades. My "treats" are usually Wensleydale cheese, mocha ice cream, crystallized ginger, and the like.

Wow! I had no idea.

Did you know the world’s most popular snack, the potato chip, was born out of frustration? The tale begins in 1853 in Saratoga Springs, New York, at the Moon's Lake House, where George Crum, a brilliant chef of African American and Native American descent, was making a name for himself with his culinary skills.
One fateful day, a particularly picky customer complained that Crum's fried potatoes were too thick and soggy. Determined to teach this guest a lesson, Crum sliced the potatoes paper-thin, fried them to a crisp, and heavily salted them. To his surprise, the customer loved them, and soon, everyone wanted a taste of Crum's "Saratoga Chips."
What many don't know is that George Crum never patented his creation, nor did he make a fortune from it. Instead, the potato chip became a local sensation, spreading beyond New York, and evolving into the snack we know today. Despite this, Crum continued to work at Moon's Lake House, eventually opening his own restaurant, where the rich and famous would come to enjoy his chips.
Crum's contribution to culinary history is a reminder that even our small acts can have a lasting impact. The next time you crunch into a potato chip, remember the ingenious chef who turned a complaint into an iconic creation that’s still loved worldwide, over 170 years later. George Crum’s legacy lives on in every bite.

I haven't had potato chips (crisps) since last winter, when I was in a nursing home for three months after a kidney infection and sepsis, and had no choice about the menus. When they served a ham and Swiss sandwich for lunch, the saltiness of the crisps that were served with them, that I crushed and added to the sandwich, saved the meal for me. Otherwise, Swiss cheese doesn't taste like cheese at all.

Before last winter, I hadn't eaten crisps in decades. My "treats" are usually Wensleydale cheese, mocha ice cream, crystallized ginger, and the like.
I love Wensleydale cheese, just like you and Grommit !!

Not sure if you've been before but you can visit the Wensleydale Creamery in Hawes in Yorkshire

Brannigans roast beef and mustard !!!!...in the brown paper bag.......AND....Worcester Sauce flavoured Twiglets.....[now unavailable...BOO HOO]....they were that strong they took a layer of skin off your tongue and the roof of your mouth....I think the reason they were discontinued is because of all the medical claims from people with bleeding gobs !!!!!.
X!

I think the best crisps I ever had were homemade. When I was a boy, a man named Mr. Bricker used to make them at his house. He got fresh local potatoes from a friend and he did the rest at home. He put them in wax bags about the size of today's large crisp bag, and every Friday, in the early evening, he'd bring them around. I think they were like a quarter a bag. My gosh, they were good! Mr. Bricker's crisps/chips even sounds like a good name for them..

Back