Favourite Christmas Food.

C

Compo

What would be your favourite food on Christmas day???

Always start the day with a good Breakfast.

Some Christmas snacking during the morning like mince pies etc.

For the main meal, I do not like turkey. I much prefer a Pork Roll stuffed with pork mince, Chestnuts, garlic, Ham and some sultanas and good spices.

Roast potatoes, green beans and stuffed Mushroms

I always love a good trifle. I am not a drinker and hate alcohol but in a trifle I don't mind.

One Rule - Never have breakfast on Christmas Day.

I just get up, get dressed, then beaver away at the presents and maybe throw choccies into my mouth along the way.

Chicken and beef this year, damn and blast - Love Turkey.

Then Christmas Pud. Then I march upstairs, press the TV Button carefully, and hold my hands in each other, and salute through the Queen's Speech.

Later on we are all gathered by the fire to watch the shows, whilst munching on sandwiches and festive treats. Then I go and mope over Christmas being over.

Sounds very good. If it wasn't because we eat Rabbit at Easter I would love Rabbit for Christmas also. Turkey is to dry for me, never liked it. We have breakfast because we eat our Christmas meal a bit late like 3 in the afternoon. It takes a while for the kids to come as they have their own breakfast, go to Church and open presents. I don't like sandwiches on Christmas day. Not a very festive treat.

We don't bother with breakfast, too busy, we have dinner early, turkey with all the trimings then trifle and a coulpe of tins of Quality Street then for tea cheese and crackers with all sorts of cake but my favourite meal is boxing day we start the day with a huge fry up and then for dinner cold turky and chips and garden peas with a jar of Branstone pickle.

Xmas day is crazy in here but I do love boxing day :D

Oh Susan what you mentioned is my favourite. CHEESE!!! I love it and always make sure I buy lots for Christmas. Kind of chesses that I never tasted before. You can always find good quality crackers to go with the cheeses. It is Christmas so on top of your crackers and cheese you can put a bit of cavier... Yummy!!!!

We buy lots of cheese for Xmas and all differant crackers too, we found one a couple of years ago that we had never tried its called 5 counties its a striped mix of 5 differant county cheeses its lovely you get a differant cheese with every bite :)

I don't like the word Horseraddish. Reason is we went to a Church dinner dance once and it was a Buffett. So when I reached to get my food I was sure this bowl had coleslaw which I love. I picked a scoop and when I got to the table put a spoonfull in my mouth. No I didn't swear but it went right to my head. Gosh was it hot, never again.

We buy lots of cheese for Xmas and all differant crackers too, we found one a couple of years ago that we had never tried its called 5 counties its a striped mix of 5 differant county cheeses its lovely you get a differant cheese with every bite :)

I note two varieties with four cheeses in common, Double Gloucester, Red Leicester, Cheshire and white Cheddar. They differ in the fifth, Ilchester having Derby and Grandma Singleton's Stripy Jack having Lancashire. I worry about it being a bit on the processed side and lacking a bit in flavour. For example, I most appreciate really deep tasting Vintage Cheddar. There is something in me that wants to keep flavours strong and separate. But cheese I do appreciate immensely. Shades of Wallace (and Gromit).

We had horseraddish cheese sometime ago on a meal train, I loved that.

I do like the sound of horseradish cheese (though am a wee bit unsure what is meant by a meal train - anything like a gravy train?). I note it can be termed Harlech cheese. Must try to locate somewhere up here in Scotland.

Later on we are all gathered by the fire to watch the shows, whilst munching on sandwiches and festive treats.

I frequently think to have an alternative to turkey which can be bland but it's the tradition and everything that goes with it - cranberry and bread sauce, bacon and sausages, stuffings galore. Mind, in many ways chicken could be said to be much more traditional. Had goose one year and that was a big mistake. Might actually go for a really good joint of pork - can still have all the bits with that. That is usually our Ne'er Day meal.

I go along with Christmas Day tea being real simple and good sanwiches are ideal.

I do like a nice piece of Gammon sliced up to put into Sandwiches for Christmas tea along with little sausage rolls and other nibbles.Christmas dinner will be Three bird roast.Roast potatos,Parsnip,Peas,Yorkshire pudding,Carrots,I do not like Brussel sprouts but most of my family do.I usually do myself a cooked breakfast on christmas morning it has become a tradition for me as i do not have a fried breakfast during the year to save it for christmas morning.I used to work with some one who never had a roast dinner throughout the year just so he could enjoy it more at christmas.

My mother`s home made Christmas pud is to die for. My mouth is watering now just thinking about it...

Later on we are all gathered by the fire to watch the shows, whilst munching on sandwiches and festive treats.

I frequently think to have an alternative to turkey which can be bland but it's the tradition and everything that goes with it - cranberry and bread sauce, bacon and sausages, stuffings galore. Mind, in many ways chicken could be said to be much more traditional. Had goose one year and that was a big mistake. Might actually go for a really good joint of pork - can still have all the bits with that. That is usually our Ne'er Day meal.

I go along with Christmas Day tea being real simple and good sanwiches are ideal.

I don't like Turkey myself as I have mentioned. But I do like a Capon which is rather moist unlike the turkey. Have you ever tried that.???

We always had capon when we were kids, dad always said it was better then turkey.

We had horseraddish cheese sometime ago on a meal train, I loved that.

I do like the sound of horseradish cheese (though am a wee bit unsure what is meant by a meal train - anything like a gravy train?). I note it can be termed Harlech cheese. Must try to locate somewhere up here in Scotland.

Oh, sorry, Unc, Our local steam railway, The Watercress Line, runs regular trips, Summer and Winter, with a five course dinner. They are rather expensive, £60 per head, but still good value. This Christmas the menu was Watercress Soup, Pate, Roast Gammon Steak with a ginger beer and tangerine sauce, a choice of puddings and Cheese and Biscuits. and coffee of course. They use restored Pulman Coaches, very comfortable! They do a regular beer train as well, with curry and chips. I have not been on one of these, my grandsons like them though.

Back