Favourite Christmas Food.

Oh, sorry, Unc, Our local steam railway, The Watercress Line, runs regular trips, Summer and Winter, with a five course dinner. They are rather expensive, £60 per head, but still good value. This Christmas the menu was Watercress Soup, Pate, Roast Gammon Steak with a ginger beer and tangerine sauce, a choice of puddings and Cheese and Biscuits. and coffee of course. They use restored Pulman Coaches, very comfortable! They do a regular beer train as well, with curry and chips. I have not been on one of these, my grandsons like them though.

Sounds great! Have visited the Watercress Line frequently. My mother and sister lived in Alton. Mother's wee house was just along the line on London side of Alton station. Locomotive off Watercress line trains would move up to around her place before reversing around train to take it back out to Alresford. And sister's house was other side of Alton station above line and you could see steam trains in and out through the trees (maybe with a bit of difficulty in summer). Could certainly hear them blasting out of Alton station. Never went on dinner train on Watercress. Did that on Strathspey from Aviemore to Broomhill (Monarch of the Glen station) and return. Excellent fare!

No joy so far on cheese with Horseradish (Harlech). One more place to try locally and then it will have to be by post. In process have found a horseradish mash at Tesco but will struggle to get distaff side to eat that.

We always had capon when we were kids, dad always said it was better then turkey.

I think there is a lot in that. But following up, this is what I got on one site:

"Capon are castrated cockerels, and are now illegal to produce in Britain. Ours are traditionally raised in the French countryside, and are fed on a natural diet of corn
Once castratated the bird keeps growing throughout it's life, which maximises the flavour and tenderness of the meat.
British Capon on sale at other outlets are either very large chickens or standard cockerels - and this will be reflected in the taste!"

Whatever the case may be Capons are very good meat and I will not go back to turkey. Are they only illegal in Britain????

Whatever the case may be Capons are very good meat and I will not go back to turkey. Are they only illegal in Britain????

Further research - capons are very popular in France at Christmas. Apart from UK it seems breeding capons is also illegal in Canada. Though apparently, it is not illegal to import or sell capons in UK. It is caponisation which is illegal.

Seems like another example of political correctness taken to ridiculous extremes. Mind, it is usually the buffoons in the European Commission who come up with these idiotic ideas. Of course that would not bother the French. If they do not agree with a Commission ruling they simply ignore it. And, of course, the French do generally have a very sensible attitude to food (unlike their attitude to quite a few other things).

For information, £39.50 plus delivery for 3kg French capon.

We always had Turkey and my mother always complained it was bland. Then the following year she'd buy it again! Boxing day breakfast has to be my favourite meal. Turkey, stuffing, chesnuts, cold gravy, maybe a bit of potato, and a cup of tea. Love it!

We always had Turkey and my mother always complained it was bland. Then the following year she'd buy it again! Boxing day breakfast has to be my favourite meal. Turkey, stuffing, chesnuts, cold gravy, maybe a bit of potato, and a cup of tea. Love it!

You have all that for Boxing day breakfast.When can we come round. :)

Lovely jubbly Christmas Food on Xmas Day - Choccies from relatives, then Chicken & Beef, then an afternoon passing round the biscuit box, then later having Twiggies and cheddies in the plastic cylinder box things, yule log, sandwiches, sausage rolls, we just fill our plates with what we please.

My mail ordered Harlech Cheese (Cheddar with Horseradish) turned up Thursday. Most enjoyable. Thanks to whoever recommended - from her ride on Watercress Line Dinner train if I remember correctly.

I've never hears of Harlech Cheese. Have you tried the Perl Wen from west Wales, Big Unc? It's a sort of mellow camanbert type. Very nice indeed.

I've never hears of Harlech Cheese. Have you tried the Perl Wen from west Wales, Big Unc? It's a sort of mellow camanbert type. Very nice indeed.

Harlech
A mature Welsh vegetarian Cheddar flavoured with fresh horseradish and parsley. Harlech cheese is coated in a distinctive bright orange waxed cover and is made from pasteurised milk.

It was Sue put me on to it though she described it as horseradish cheese. I will look out for your Perl Wen.

Another I highly recommend is Cashel Blue when you can get it - comes from Ireland:
http://www.cashelblue.com/

Back