Favourite trios...

C

Chuffer Enwright

Which 3 combos of lead characters were your favourite? I suspect that everyone will have Clegg, Compo and Foggy and number 1, but which others do you prefer?
I'll go for Clegg, Truly and Billy at number 2 and Clegg, Compo and Blamire at 3.

I must admit I didn't really like Seymour at the time but have become very fond of the series he was involved in.I also thought Truly fitted in perfectly.

I like Seymour now but at first he reminded me of an old schoolmaster of mine. Always wore tweed ,threatened to cane you and had severe HALITOSIS(and how!) >:(

I dont mind Seymour, Im certainly fonder of those episodes now than I was then, but he would still only just about make 5th place on the classic trio list.

Which 3 combos of lead characters were your favourite? I suspect that everyone will have Clegg, Compo and Foggy and number 1, but which others do you prefer?
I'll go for Clegg, Truly and Billy at number 2 and Clegg, Compo and Blamire at 3.

I would disagree with this initial premise. Foggy just plain irritated me. To me the star was always Clegg (articulating Roy Clarke's philosophy). For me in all forms of drama the writer and the dialogue are paramount. I am not always impressed with high jinks and silly antics. And I did find the dialogue best as the stars got older. Big sadness was that there were only two plus series with Clegg, Truly and Compo. And I would dearly have loved to see more episodes with those three and Billy Hardcastle. There were only two, "How Errol Flynn Discovered the Secret Scar of Nora Batty" and "Last Post and Pigeon" and only in the former were they acting as a foursome.

The Foggy trio would be my favourite and the ones i watch the most.It took me quite some time to warm to the Seymour era but now i really enjoy a lot of the episodes.My third choice would be the Blamire trio.

Hector.

[/quote]

Big sadness was that there were only two plus series with Clegg, Truly and Compo. And I would dearly have loved to see more episodes with those three and Billy Hardcastle. There were only two, "How Errol Flynn Discovered the Secret Scar of Nora Batty" and "Last Post and Pigeon" and only in the former were they acting as a foursome.
[/quote]

That just goes to show how deprived I am. They never show the hour long specials where I live. I only saw bits of "Last Post and Pigeon" from the retrospective "Its Never Ten Years". I would have loved to see Billy and Compo as part of a foursome. I appear to be one of the only members here that doesn't own DVDs. I plan on it one day. The problem is, there are so many seasons that I would feel the need to get them all and that's overwhelming.

We've had similar topics from the old forum. I sincerely appreciate Foggy, Seymour, and Truly. No meaning to offend the die hard purist Summer wine fans, but I never got totally into Blamire and obviously Hobbo was a mistake.

My fave trio has to be Foggy, Compo and Clegg. It is such a good laugh when they play tricks on him, like when he was marching and Compo sounded like an army general or captain, and made him march into the water. I also like 'The Three Astaires' with The Vicaress seeing Foggy strangle Compo, and her and Foggy on about strangling, then The Vicar asking her why she is conversing through letterboxes. It really is a funny episode!

I think I'll say my favorite trio is Clegg, Compo and Foggy (as the first trio).
I also liked Seymore and Truly. I wonder what the show would have been
like had Blamire carried the show through........

I think I'll say my favorite trio is Clegg, Compo and Foggy (as the first trio).

That's an excellent point.Would it have had the longevity if Blamire had continued?

That's an excellent point.Would it have had the longevity if Blamire had continued?
Hard to say,bit like asking what would have happened if Michael Aldridge hadnt left in 1990?

That´s a good point. I think with Michael Aldridge it would have been too physical and less of this special sort of verbal humour. It was a nice intermezzo and I enjoyed it, but I think it would have tired out quicker. Blamire, I would have been really curious about him, though I think he would have had to mollify a bit in the long run. But I may be wrong. Perhaps it was all these changes that kept it interesting for so long in the first place? Perhaps it would have attracted less viewers, had it been the same trio all along? I mean, it gave Roy Clarke wonderful new possibilities each time.

In some ways the departure of Michael Bates was a blessing in disguise.Good as he was,dont think the show would have got the viewing figures it eventually got if he had stayed.Felt v.sorry for Michael after reading the Vine book though

I really can't imagine the show with Blamire all the way through. I agree
that all the changes kept it interesting.

Perhaps it was all these changes that kept it interesting for so long in the first place? Perhaps it would have attracted less viewers, had it been the same trio all along? I mean, it gave Roy Clarke wonderful new possibilities each time.
I really can't imagine the show with Blamire all the way through. I agree
that all the changes kept it interesting.

The changes are good to an extent. I love Foggy, Seymour, and Truly. I don't own the DVDs yet and rely on the rotation from the Blamire years to Hobbo on Public Television. I prefer the later episodes so when it is Foggy's earlier years I look forward to seeing Seymour. Then I start looking for Foggy's return. Needless to say I then count down to the Truly years. It keeps it interesting for me. There are great episodes for all the different trios.

For me it has to be the classic line up of Foggy Compo and Clegg,pure genius
But i also thought that Blamire and Seymour were great too
I also liked Billy and Alvin as part of the trio

Interesting thread, quite a few of you don't seem all that keen on the Blamire years.
I actually like the episodes with him in it, not sure if it's because i was in my late teens when Summer Wine was first broadcast, although i didn't start watching the programme seriously until 1984, when i got my first video recorder.
When i watch the series with Blamire in it, i enjoy seeing the vehicles of that time, plus the "fashions" of that era remind me of what i twit i looked, in me flares and platform shoes!
I pretty much liked all of the "third" men, they all had their own personalities and brought them into the show, to give it a bit more range in what the trio got up to.
Either way, Roy Clarke made sure that the third man was always a figure of authority, which was needed to keep the other two on their feet.

G ; )

Interesting thread, quite a few of you don't seem all that keen on the Blamire years.
I actually like the episodes with him in it, not sure if it's because i was in my late teens when Summer Wine was first broadcast, although i didn't start watching the programme seriously until 1984, when i got my first video recorder.
When i watch the series with Blamire in it, i enjoy seeing the vehicles of that time, plus the "fashions" of that era remind me of what i twit i looked, in me flares and platform shoes!
I pretty much liked all of the "third" men, they all had their own personalities and brought them into the show, to give it a bit more range in what the trio got up to.
Either way, Roy Clarke made sure that the third man was always a figure of authority, which was needed to keep the other two on their feet.

G ; )
The third man tried to be an authority figure but was usally undermined :)

I have to admit i did like the final trio, the basis was there even if series 30 wasnt a great set of episodes, also like the trio of Alvin with Clegg and Truly (werent a big fan as Billy as some are on here) and liked Seymour, Compo and Clegg but for me you just cant beat the classic trio of Compo, Foggy and Clegg

I have to admit i did like the final trio, the basis was there even if series 30 wasnt a great set of episodes, also like the trio of Alvin with Clegg and Truly (werent a big fan as Billy as some are on here) and liked Seymour, Compo and Clegg but for me you just cant beat the classic trio of Compo, Foggy and Clegg
;) TO EACH HIS OWN ELI ;D

Back