Favourite trios...

I have to admit i did like the final trio, the basis was there even if series 30 wasnt a great set of episodes, also like the trio of Alvin with Clegg and Truly (werent a big fan as Billy as some are on here) and liked Seymour, Compo and Clegg but for me you just cant beat the classic trio of Compo, Foggy and Clegg
what did you think of Compo,Clegg and Blamire then?

I like that trio as they were the ones who started the show, however I think
Blamire was a little rough around the edges..a little too stodgy. Foggy gave
the trio some refinement...and it went on from there.

Interesting thread, quite a few of you don't seem all that keen on the Blamire years.
I actually like the episodes with him in it, not sure if it's because i was in my late teens when Summer Wine was first broadcast, although i didn't start watching the programme seriously until 1984, when i got my first video recorder.
When i watch the series with Blamire in it, i enjoy seeing the vehicles of that time, plus the "fashions" of that era remind me of what i twit i looked, in me flares and platform shoes!
I pretty much liked all of the "third" men, they all had their own personalities and brought them into the show, to give it a bit more range in what the trio got up to.
Either way, Roy Clarke made sure that the third man was always a figure of authority, which was needed to keep the other two on their feet.

G ; )

Summer Wine first aired two years before I was born. Being from the states I didn't discover Summer Wine until I moved from Pennsylvania to Maryland in 2006 (as horrible as it sounds, Central PA's Public TV didn't air Summer Wine).

As much as I love Summer wine, I differ from a lot of fellow forum members is that I appreciate the situation comedy and physical comedy of Summer Wine the most, followed by the dialogue. Since the earliest episodes are mostly dialogue driven, it isn't my favorite. However, I still appreciate great moments and like you, Blueprintz,I like getting a feel for rural England at that time.

I problem with a lot of American shows and movies are that so many are based in New York and Los Angeles. I love small town and country settings. Therefor, I enjoy Torquay in Fawlty Towers, Holmsfirth in Summer Wine, etc. Its much more interesting than London for me.

I did like the Blamire episodes too, I liked the way the characters were, Clegg more mischievous and sly and more in charge than later, and I also liked the way of filming, there was something special about it. I didn´t understand all of the dialogue, a bit tricky for me, but I like the atmosphere of the first ones. A few days ago I watched them all on youtube, I really enjoy the first ones from time to time.

I always thought that the Blamire era episodes were 'clever'. perhaps better scripts and relied less on slapstick visual humour. I like the first two series very much, Roy was perhaps at his best as a scriptwriter early on. Every line was considered and a gem. I still prefer the early Foggy stuff, 6 and 8 were classics, the best two series for my money.

I did like the Blamire episodes too, I liked the way the characters were, Clegg more mischievous and sly and more in charge than later, and I also liked the way of filming, there was something special about it. I didn´t understand all of the dialogue, a bit tricky for me, but I like the atmosphere of the first ones. A few days ago I watched them all on youtube, I really enjoy the first ones from time to time.
true Clegg was the instigator of most of the early schemes but later it seemed he was happy to take a back seat

Back