final reflections and questions on the final series

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
My Public Television station just aired How Not To Cry at Weddings". Now they will return to the early years.

I have posted my comments on the Hobbo years recently, regarding my surprise liking for those two years. As this run has ended in my station's rotation I would love to discuss a few thoughts with others.

1. A lot of people don't like change in general, but in order to keep a show going for 37 years, it is inevitable. Obviously with the elderly cast, the characters had to change. One thing Roy Clarke did more in his final year was continue storylines from one episode to another. There was Howard finally getting kicked outof his home, Glenda pressuring Barry to lose wait, etc. I personally like this change and I would have loved to have seen what Clarke would have come up with after that. I recall this continuation of storylines being very rare before then. Only a Flag and its Snag's come to mind.

2. There was debate earlier how a lont of people were unhappy with the swan song. Then others pointed out that it wasn't meant to be the final episode. However, it does certainly have a final show feel to it with everyone together in the end. I enjoyed it myself. If it wasn't meant to be Summer Wine's swan song, was it at least meant to be series 31's final episode?

3. And lastly, here is to testing out your creative thoughts. For speculation's sake, what would have been the best way to have a final episode? I would have only added the bringing back of previous cast members, but when I think about it, they mostly have passed away by then!!!!!! I was also sad to not see Ivy there, after recently praising her in the final years.

Thanks for listening.

I thought the final run was a massive improvement on the penultimate series. Hobbo seemed to settle in place as a character and we got much less of his demented secret agent schtick in favour of genuine character development with Howard, Pearl and Marina.

I haven't seen the final episode since its original airing, but am looking forward to reappraising it at the end of my current marathon. I don't think my opinion of the finale has really changed since we made this video - http://youtu.be/CoWUQ8olSOc.

My main gripe - it needed Ivy!

My main gripe - it needed Ivy!....... yes it certinly did, she was in the first she should have been in the last, even if it was just for a moment.

Does any one know why she was not there, given that it was a large cast anyway?

I think that as her health was failing the filming must have been at a bad time. I am sure she would have wanted to be in the last episode.. I must see that episode again as I hadn't noticed being so upset it was the last.

I really started to enjoy the last couple of series and more so when Hobbo settled down from that OTT Secret Agent stuff.It was a pity that Roy and Russ wernt able to develope his character more.I would also have liked to see a cut back on a lot of the supporting characters and sub plots and gone more towards the original idea of the trio and a few supporting cast.

It is a pity that Ivy wasnt in the last episode but i would doubt very much if she was missed or left out intentionally.As someone else mentioned,it may have been for health reasons or something along along those lines.

Hector.

I have seen the final scripts and they do appear to have had many changes towards the end,it makes me wonder if towards the end of the series filming they were told at that point the show was to end

I really started to enjoy the last couple of series and more so when Hobbo settled down from that OTT Secret Agent stuff.It was a pity that Roy and Russ wernt able to develope his character more.I would also have liked to see a cut back on a lot of the supporting characters and sub plots and gone more towards the original idea of the trio and a few supporting cast.

It is a pity that Ivy wasnt in the last episode but i would doubt very much if she was missed or left out intentionally.As someone else mentioned,it may have been for health reasons or something along along those lines.

Hector.
I have seen the final scripts and they do appear to have had many changes towards the end,it makes me wonder if towards the end of the series filming they were told at that point the show was to end

Now I feel a bit bad about starting such a sad topic! It took me three times around to appreciate Hobbo so I very much agree with Hector in that I would have loved to have seen more storylines developed with Hobbo. Unlike Hector, I also learned to appreciate the extras, even Toby and Morton (I know they are not very popular here). As for the ideas of going back to the original format focusing on the trio... the problem was Entwhistle and Alvin just weren't strong in such lead roles. That pains me to say that about Entwhistel because I loved him in the first five years or so. I can't figure out if it was the scripts written for him or his older age that lessened the character's quality.

As for Terry's thought of the many changes to the script possibly due to Clarke being told it was going to end....very depressing thought.

Back