Football Fans

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
I am usually a cricket fan !Lately I have watched football and have a couple of questions .
Has anyone been injured doing the Knee slide after scoring ??(sliding forward on their knees) Torn ligaments etc?
My second question concerns when everyone piles on to the scorer. There is a young man in Leicester who could testify how foolish that could be!
He is now in a wheelchair due to a similar ocurrance and he was playing Rugby at the time !:confused2::39:

I have often wondered about that Dick. I don't watch football anymore, there are too many amateur dramatics. I do watch ladies football though. they are so much better at it than the fellas.

In a somewhat similar vein I remember Tony Adams of Arsenal trying to lift teammate Steve Morrow over his head when he scored the winning goal in a cup final, breaking Morrow's arm in the process. Adams nickname was The Donkey..:eyesroll:

Last edited:
Used to be it was a swift handshake and back to the half way for the kick off now they practice their celebrations as much as they do football skills . The whole game has changed often hear Harry Redknapp talking about when he played for West Ham and Greavsie when he was at Spurs they used to train in the morning and lunch was often their local cafe for pie and mash and then maybe out for a couple of sociable beers it has changed out of all proportion and it is solely down to the culture introduced by Arsene Wenger at Arsenal and all clubs have followed suit.

Used to be it was a swift handshake and back to the half way for the kick off now they practice their celebrations as much as they do football skills . The whole game has changed often hear Harry Redknapp talking about when he played for West Ham and Greavsie when he was at Spurs they used to train in the morning and lunch was often their local cafe for pie and mash and then maybe out for a couple of sociable beers it has changed out of all proportion and it is solely down to the culture introduced by Arsene Wenger at Arsenal and all clubs have followed suit.
There is too much money now plus it seems to me they are all cheats.
I agree with Peripheral the women`s football is much more disciplined and hardly any arguing with referee
I don`t why they argue with the referee because he is never going change his mind.

I have not got any real answer regarding injuries but an insight into how some of you feel about the modern game ,.:confused2::eyesroll:

There is too much money now plus it seems to me they are all cheats.

I have real issues believing the results in nearly any sport these days... Results being manipulated everywhere - its BUSINESS not sport!
Far too much money involved these days for it not to be.

A year after the Pogba transfer, however, there was a major jump in the record fee. Paris St. Germain matched the €222 million buyout fee of Barcelona's Neymar, converted to a reported £198 million by different sources, or £200 million more than double the previous record. This was the first time that the record fee was paid by a French club

Thats a lot of socks and jumpers.

The staple of grass roots football , whilst the Premier leagues in Europe prosper grass roots football has no money , cannot afford proper goalposts and have reverted to the old adage of using jumpers :mad: I recall seeing a snippet of news about a local kids team in Liverpool who got changed in a leaky hut , had to put their clothes in bags to keep them dry , the shower had long ceased working yet less than the mile away there was Liverpool FC and to provide these lads , some of whom could well progress to play professional football who knows, with decent changing facilities ,kit and goalposts etc isn't even loose change to a club of that size or indeed the players . I know there are some unseen heroes in football who choose anonymity and some high profile like the absolute star that is Marcus Rashford but most don't lift a finger .

The staple of grass roots football , whilst the Premier leagues in Europe prosper grass roots football has no money , cannot afford proper goalposts and have reverted to the old adage of using jumpers :mad: I recall seeing a snippet of news about a local kids team in Liverpool who got changed in a leaky hut , had to put their clothes in bags to keep them dry , the shower had long ceased working yet less than the mile away there was Liverpool FC and to provide these lads , some of whom could well progress to play professional football who knows, with decent changing facilities ,kit and goalposts etc isn't even loose change to a club of that size or indeed the players . I know there are some unseen heroes in football who choose anonymity and some high profile like the absolute star that is Marcus Rashford but most don't lift a finger .
sadly thats the same in all countries and so many sports.. We hear so much in aussie about money 'filtering down' to lower grades.. some country footy grounds have no grass on their fields. and like you said, cant afford goalposts!
Sadly in other whole region legues have to merge with other region leagues just to get enough players and grounds to play on ....
Add to that councils dont lift an eyelash to help either - there was one council doubled the fees on one competition and removed access to the change rooms/showers etc..

The world certainly isnt what it should be or used to be. We should be supporting kids.. no wonder xbox/playstation sales are at record numbers.

Captain !!!!......your club is now owned by an actual state !!!!.
They make Abramovic and Monsur look like paupers !!!.
I watch Everton and my season ticket is £550.
I know lads who watch Arsenal and Tottenham and the dearest seat was over £100 PER GAME....10 YEARS AGO !!!.

Now, OOO ARH, am I reading this right? £100 ten years ago to watch a football match? I used to watch it for nowt on t' telly. And I could watch a goal from ten different viewpoints in the space of a minute. These days my desire to watch the 'beautiful game' has diminished to zero. I used to like watching football and was a 'Blades' supporter, Sheffield United. The game was ruined for me when it changed from a sport to Monopoly. The teams with most money invariably win the trophies. Anyone for tiddlywinks?:37:

Peri.....unfortunately you are reading it right.
This is why players are getting half a million pounds....PER WEEK !!!!!.
A "CERTAIN TEAM" have banned their players from signing autographs incase the fan puts the signature on ebay !!...seriously !!!.
With so much TV revenue,especially from the far east, the top teams[Man Utd,Man City,Chelsea and "them from across Stanley Park"] could now play in empty stadiums and it would not make much difference to their balance sheets......sad but true my friend.

Times have changed , back in the 60's when we won our only major European trophy the Toon trained at Hunters Moor about a mile from St James's Park . Most of the players would walk up Barrack Road to the pitch . As young fans we could watch them train and often we asked and were allowed to carry up the Stars boots to the training pitch . They often would give us a couple of footballs for a kick about .Can you honestly ever imagine that happening today . I remember carrying Wyn Davies iconic white boots up and Bryan "Pop" Robson's such great memories .

Now, OOO ARH, am I reading this right? £100 ten years ago to watch a football match? I used to watch it for nowt on t' telly. And I could watch a goal from ten different viewpoints in the space of a minute. These days my desire to watch the 'beautiful game' has diminished to zero. I used to like watching football and was a 'Blades' supporter, Sheffield United. The game was ruined for me when it changed from a sport to Monopoly. The teams with most money invariably win the trophies. Anyone for tiddlywinks?:37:
yea TV has made nearly all sports better to see on tele than being there.
Specially when its $12 for a hotdog or cold pie - sauce extra, $8 for 1/2 a "cup" of cold 5 hour old hot chips and cup of syrup coke is $5 each etc

I agree with the points about football becoming a multi millionaires sport, but everyone has loads of non league sides nearby to watch. The players there are primarily playing for the love of the game or a very small appearance fee. Also you can normally get in for just over a fiver, I got a season ticket for AFC Telford a number of years back and really enjoyed the experience!

Captain...what really upsets me is when clubs like Bury disappear from the football map.
Whole communities and generations of fans now have no one to support...because as we all know...your team is YOUR TEAM.
Grandfathers,fathers and sons would attend....civic pride in THEIR TOWN'S TEAM.
When you think that Gary and Phil Neville's mum and dad both worked for Bury F.C. is makes you think that maybe these multi millionaires could have done more to save THEIR home town club.

Well, I don't watch (American) football (you know where they wear helmets and pads?) They recently because of, well who knows why, removed the name of the mascot of my team. Very poor. Years later, many full backs and half backs (those who take the full brunt) end up with serious Parkinson-like symptoms and are basically crippled.

Captain...what really upsets me is when clubs like Bury disappear from the football map.
Whole communities and generations of fans now have no one to support...because as we all know...your team is YOUR TEAM.
Grandfathers,fathers and sons would attend....civic pride in THEIR TOWN'S TEAM.
When you think that Gary and Phil Neville's mum and dad both worked for Bury F.C. is makes you think that maybe these multi millionaires could have done more to save THEIR home town club.
Don’t forget my local team Macclesfield (Town, as was). Run by someone who had no interest in the club. Safety certificates not met, players not payed, matches postponed and ultimately points deducted and thrown out of the league. The Pheonix has risen though with the help of Robbie Savage and Rob Smethhurst who are hopefully on the way back. Currently top on the NWC league with home games getting great attendances, 3,500 the other night. Stadium updated, new pitch and great communication with the local fans/ community, something we haven’t had since the glory days with my old hero Sammy Mcllroy in charge.

Back