For train buffs

I dread to think how much money they are spending on reinforcing that short span ( £80 million for 400 meters) of sea wall at Dawlish, and there is more that will need doing in the future, the West Country is completely cut off when it breaches and for many years there has been talk of a diversion route, which no doubt will have to be done at some point with coastal erosion, yet the cost will be far higher when they do get around to building a diversion route.
Rather than reinforcing the sea wall, they should go with the flow and build that diversion route and perhaps reinforce the road to prepare for occasional breaches.

It probably is too late to attempt to protect the coastlines of any land mass. Better to accept the consequences of the environmental damage we humans have done to this point, retreat inland, and stop polluting in an attempt to slow, and eventually stop, the damage. The people who are the the most affected, and who will need to be offered asylum, are the inhabitants of small islands, who lack the financial resources to relocate. They're desperate!

How many years ago was it that Glenda quoted Berry having surfaced from a book and asked if she was aware of how much the sea had eroded the coast around Mablethorpe? When I first heard that line, about a year after it was broadcast, I checked the state of erosion in that region. It seemed already past remedying then.

On another note, I would recommend doing minimal repairs to the existing wall if required; putting in sturdy benches to encourage people to admire the view; repairs if necessary to the existing roadway; repairs to the diversion route, IF IT ALREADY EXISTS; and two signs reading "ROAD CLOSED" to close the road each and every time that the sea wall has been breached.

Definitely said this before but when I was a kid (10ish) our teacher said "let's go and look at something" I'm paraphrasing because it was decades ago and now I'm old....er
The school was next to the railway line and as we came out of school there were loads of other kids waiting nearby close (safely) to the track and next second CHUFFA CHUFFA CHUFFA, it was the Flying Scotsman. I was utterly enthralled and it is one of many ace childhood memories. I was gobsmacked!

This place was ten minutes from me in a town called Glossop, just over the hill from Holmfirth.
I moved away years ago to somewhere else in the Peaks :42:

Back