Fun with Google Earth...

empire1.jpg

Watched "The Empire That Foggy Nearly Built" on my Series 12 DVD that came from Amazon, which I was happy about. I've been wondering where this location was. Having a clearer picture on the DVD meant better details to spot. This is yet another one I just stumbled across.

Since the DVD picture was clearer than what I originally saw the episode on, I noticed also the name on the side of the wall as the poor victims of Foggy's plan speed out of the disused mill lot. "Spring Mills" and the date was either 1910 or 1918. I couldn't tell. So I did a search for Spring Mills, got a place in Ossett, in Bradford and another place. I didn't think those were the locations.

So I fell back on the ol' familiar locations to see if any of the mills that are present resemble it. Honley... nope.. Marsden... nope.. I decided, okay this was filmed in Huddersfield for the parking deck scene, as is noted in Terry's map section.

I went from there and tried to find a street view that was sort of on a hill so I could have a hopefully good vantage spot over the town. Kind of like what we can kind of see in the above scene.

empire2.jpg

Anything look familiar between the two pictures? :) It did to me. The buildings on the right of the street in the streetview picture, and the two buildings in the picture from the episode in the top right corner.

So I checked that location out, and there is indeed a mill today, where the view comes from in the episode. Crowthers Mill in Milnsbridge, Huddersfield. It makes sense, because this location was also where the trio were walking around blindly in the oil cans in "Roll On".

From the episode "The Glory Hole"

glory1.jpg

glory1a.jpg

View of the hill seen in the distance, but higher on the hilltop on Hey Lane in Honley above the allotment.

glory2.jpg

glory2a.jpg

Hey Lane view towards New Mill as the trio walks forward through the allotment (which is again lower on the hill).

glory3.jpg

The allotment that they walk through. Accessible by Hanging Stone Road north of where it splits off from Woodhead Road.

glory3a.jpg

View of the allotment from Hanging Stone Road.

Just in case no-one has noticed I have added 3 new locations to the map over the last few days,the map is available from the main website, Terry

As George said,a great find..I have enjoyed looking through all the different locations so far,thankyou for sharing

Hector

higher1.jpg

higher1a.jpg

Field beside Hollin House Lane in New Mill, though I over shot it, it's on the OTHER side of Hollin House Lane!

higher2.jpg

higher2a.jpg

MORE SPEED! Same location..

higher3.jpg

higher3a.jpg

Same location. 8)

I believe I have found the scene from "Variations on a Theme of the Widow Winstanley" with Clegg, Truly, Billy and Alvin walking by the rock formations.

winstanley1.jpg

It's on Mount Road just before you get to Old Mount Road. Between The Carriage House and the Marsden Football Club field.

I believe I have found the scene from "Variations on a Theme of the Widow Winstanley" with Clegg, Truly, Billy and Alvin walking by the rock formations.

winstanley1.jpg

It's on Mount Road just before you get to Old Mount Road. Between The Carriage House and the Marsden Football Club field.

This spot was used several times Claye during filming over the years,Terry

Looking at that spot in streetview, that pool at the bottom left corner looks kind of like the one where Seymour ordered Compo to get the tire frame out of when Compo tossed it in.

Upon close inspection and taking another look at Set The People Free. The pool Compo steps in after Seymour thinks it isn't deep, is west of the famous Eastergate Bridge in Marsden where the water from the stream collects in that spot.

From the episode "Hermione - The Short Course" where Barry attempts to help Mr. Teesdale in auto repossession.

hermione1.jpg

hermione2.jpg

Thought using the different year satellite views might help. It did here, but looking at current view after it.. nothing had changed... *gets swatted with a hat*

hermione3.jpg

Glendale Mills in New Mill on Sheffield Road.

Two more locations...

From the episode "The Miraculous Curing of Goff Heliwell". The scene where Tom and Smiler get Nora to be a distraction for Mr. Teesdale.

goff1.jpg

goff2.jpg

Wadman Road where it meets White Wells Road in Scholes

From the episode "Errol Flynn Used to Have a Pair of Those"

The trio walking to the Cafe after Compo puts on the trousers.

flynn1.jpg

flynn2.jpg

Myrtle Road at Second Avenue in Golcar.

From the episode "The Second Husband and the Showgirls"..

showgirls1.jpg

showgirls2.jpg

The opening scene with Billy, Tom and Smiler walking up a road and going down a path. Moor Side Lane in Slaithwaite. The hill in the very far background is Pule Hill in Marsden, which is how I was able to find this location. ;D

To make this last location easier to find, it's Moor Side Lane between Laund Road and Tiding Field Lane. Billy, Tom and Smiler walk up Moor Side Lane and then head down the driveway of a residence.

From the episode "The Man Who Invented Yorkshire Funny Stuff"..

funny1.jpg

funny2.jpg

When Billy remembered who Cyril Cooper married.. Gladys Heptonstall.

This is down the hill in front of a residence's paved driveway. It's across from Ryecroft Therapy in to the east of Green Lane Terrace. Possibly called Prospect Place. Just a bit north of Scapegoat Hill. On the same road as Pennine Manor Hotel.

Another one from "The Man Who Invented Yorkshire Funny Stuff".

funny3.jpg

funny4.jpg

Barry, still having difficulty with his ear comes across Nora Batty turns and goes the opposite direction.

Barnside Lane in Scholes before it meets up with Snug Lane.

Back