Fun with Google Earth...

More locations.. Looking at reservoirs tonight for the other question on "Welcome to Earth", I stumbled across this one I've been trying to find.

From "What Happened to the Horse?" This is the opening scene where Clegg, Truly and Alvin are walking the hill and come across the area that looks like it should be haunted.

horse1.jpg

Hartcliff Hill Road between Millhouse Green and Langsett. The Reservoir in the distance is Langsett Reservoir.

Shoot! George, don't know how I missed your query.. I've looked up that location before, I'll post the location shortly. My apologies..

In the meantime, try guessing this one. I watched the episode that this location was in tonight. Meal Hill Road in Holme..

shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

8)
Is this from By the magnificnt thighs of Ernie Burniston,where Compo falls off the school wall?

Wow! Good eye, George. Wrong answer though. You were right about the Thighs of Ernie Burniston, I've seen that location before but didn't realize that's where this other location was at.

This sloping road is where Compo on skates gets tangled with a group of bicyclists and then a few minutes later a herd of cows walk by him in:

"Wind Power"

8) ;D

Just found the location for The Feathers Pub from "An Apple a Day". Looks like it's another private residence made up to look like a pub..

apple1a.jpg

apple1b.jpg

This is a closeup of the building because it's down a long path. You can see the drain pipe going down the side of the wall as it was in the episode.

apple2a.jpg

apple2b.jpg

Just for verification, there's the hill in the distance as Howard and Marina ride to the Pub.

Out of nowhere, I just noticed this one...

apple3a.jpg

apple3b.jpg

So it's the same building used as both the house and the Pub.

This is on Bedding Edge Road, which is the intersection above Seymour's house and the Fox & Hound Pub. It's the first house on the right going east on Bedding Edge Road.

I haven't figured out what road they're on as they drive to the house.

Hold that thought for a minute... Gotta love landmarks like Emley Moor. I literally stumbled across this one taking a look at Emley Moor (with 3D Buildings turned on in Google Earth) and using a distinctive hill in Scissett that had the same shape of the hill I saw in the episode, which is near Emley Moor.

Using those two landmarks, as I said I stumbled across this.

apple4a.jpg

apple4b.jpg

This is Eastfield Lane, which is east of Pinfold Lane which you can see in the episode (the road/path going downhill as the truck drives past). Hopping Lane turns into Eastfield Lane when it intersects Pinfold Lane. This location is between Oxspring and Hood Green near Barnsley. There is now a bar gate, and it's just a field for cows.. lots of cows.. :eek:

One of those times where you just get lucky.

Watched "The Experiment" tonight and decided to search for Mrs. Cornwell-Harris' place. Here it is..

exp1a.jpg

exp1b.jpg

Nope! The phone booth isn't a Summer Wine prop this time! In the satellite view it looks like they moved the driveway to the other side of the yard and redone the brickwork.

exp2a.jpg

exp2b.jpg

Hi Cleggy! Just compare the tree arrangement on the hill/dale in the background.

Far Well Lane near White Ley Bank (which is what Seymour, Clegg and Compo pass by as they walk up to the house) in New Mill.

In the Goff Helliwell episode Barry and Glenda are going to see Goff when they bump into Tom and Smiler.In the background there is a street sign with Donaldson Street.In The secret birthday of Norman Clegg when Clegg and Truly are waiting for a bus (and everyone turns up in their best suits)behind them is a street sign 'Donaldson Street.Is this a fake street sign that is often used and I wonder why .
Another thing I've noticed is in scenes in the countryside street signs are often hidden by carefully placed grass and weeds.

I noticed the Donaldson Street re-occurrence as well, not from "Secret Birthday" but in "Miraculous Curing". It's seen at the place you mention, which I think is a few feet down from Auntie Wainwright's place. The sign also shows up near the beginning when they first come across Howard with the ladder.

From "In Search of Childlike Joy and the Farthest Reaches of the Lotus Position"..

child1a.jpg

child1b.jpg

This is where Smiler got stuck in the hedge. The street is the one the two PC's drive down and where Howard, Marina, Clegg, Truly and Billy roll down on the double bicycle. Huge hill on the opposite side of the picture, but no reservoir or lake.

child2a.jpg

child2b.jpg

This is where the PCs reconsider checking out the pants with nobody in them stuck in the hedge. Ing Head Lane, Stocksmoor between Stock Moor Road and Halstead Lane/Stocks Lane (closer to Stock Moor Road at the first gate.)

child3a.jpg

child3b.jpg

This is where the trio come across Barry with his legs stuck in the Lotus position. It's on Weather Hill Road, Holmfirth. The barn is not there anymore. The Google Earth street view shows the same hill/background but it's done from Cartworth Moor Road. This is near Holme Styes Reservoir.

Still trying to figure out which reservoir is in this episode. It's possible that it is Holme Styes Reservoir, but I'm going by the houses seen in the background.

Thanks Claye.I love looking at these pics and it fascinates me how you work it out.Brilliant.
How about the opening scene from 'Here we go again into the Wild Blue Yonder'.

Found that one a long, long time ago..

"Here We Go Again into The Blue Yonder"

yonder-1.jpg

The opening scene is at Acre Lane in Holmfirth above Digley Reservoir. The building is also the one that is in the background of the location I posted for "Hail Smiling Morn or Thereabouts".

"Isometrics and After"

50 Yard Dash attempt...

isometrics1.jpg

How could I ever forget THAT scene, my first ever viewing of the trio. :D

I came across this location by just barely catching one of the buildings in the background on my DVD just now. I noticed this same building was in the far away scene as they were walking after the bit in the Library. The building is the Riverside Shopping Center. So I think they used this soccer field on Cartworth Road.

Apologies if we've covered this one,but I'd like to know where the 'waterfall' at the beginning of Adopted By A Stray'.

The waterfall which is also used a few times in opening sequences is near Wessenden Reservoir near Marsden. Here's one I decided to find myself. The opening sequence to "Isometrics and After"..

isometrics2a.jpg

isometrics2b.jpg

This is on Greenfield Road in Holmfirth looking south, near Greengate Road. Amazing how some places look untouched. The trio are walking the dale on the other side of the wooded area and that is where they filmed the whole scene with Foggy holding his breath and Compo revealing his matchbox for the first time.

From what I can tell, the scene of them arriving at the trees is at Riding Wood Reservoir near Holme. I have a feeling the area where Foggy's trees are at is near Holme Styes Reservoir.

From "Plenty Room in the Back"..

The Strafford Arms where they meet the landlord that needs a ride for his father.

plenty1.jpg

This is on Park Drive in Barnsley. This one was sorta easy, you could see the name "Strafford Arms" in one of the scenes. Also, when they go to look at the landlord's father, there is a framed picture with a satellite view of the area. Basically find Strafford Arms and compare satellife views. 8)

From "Heavily Reinforced Bottom"

This is where Compo rides by in the truck past Seymour and Clegg, who think he's behind them jogging.. Starts on Scar Hole Lane and turns onto Meltham House Lane in New Mill or Jackson Bridge.

bottom1.jpg

bottom2.jpg

o/` Crack Crack, goes the whip, I whistle as I sing.
I sit up on my wagon, I'm as happy as a king.
My horse is always willin', and I am never sad.
There's naught could lead a life so good, as Joe the Carrier's Lad! o/`

Back