Getting Sam Home and Open All Hours's Pilot

Don

Dedicated Member
LOSW and Open All Hours's similarities

Just finished watching the pilot for Open All Hours and I was feeling a bit of deja vu. Maybe it's the self reflection from Ronnie Barker reminding me of Sam (Getting Sam Home) talking about Cosgrove's (?) Mrs's or what not. Just the dialog in general, coupled with Lynda Baron and other things really made me think of Getting Sam Home.
Any bona fide similarities anyone else has noticed between the two series?

Edit: After further viewing, it's not just the first episode causing deja vu. Kathy Staff and Arkwright talking gossip around the meat slicer while keeping an eye on Granville reminds me of Ivy and the ladies talking gossip while keeping an eye on Barry. Definitely a lot of shared ideas between the two series so far it seems.

Last edited:
They both reflect a northern way of life, although scenery quite different both part of the former West Riding. The pre-occupations of the locals would be much the same.

Gossip, loveless marriages, shattered dreams and just trying to get through each week in one piece: the same
sentiment runs through both programmes. I think even Keeping Up Appearances has same mix!

There are a lot of themes that run through all of Roys show's, you hear about Arnold Street in Summer Wine, Keeping Appearances and Open All Hours not to mention some very similar or even the same lines running through all three.

Back