Getting there..soon

ferret

Dedicated Member
Well I can feel that things are starting to move in the right direction as I’m not coming home in the dark now and get about 30 minutes of late daylight before it goes dark(4.50)
Working outside I love the Autumn /Winter but the long dark nights are a bit of a pain especially when I have things I want to do outside. The days are now thankfully stretching out bit by bit.
Yesterday I had my last days hol from ‘23 so we went for a walk into Bakewell on the Monsal Trail, the old railway line. Playing at puffa trains for the day. A bit chilly in the wind(-1) but a grand day out.
A Holmfirth visit was on the cards but the traffic again was horrendous so we sacked it.
FAC9ADC2-3846-43BD-8C82-DC76C732871E.jpegC687303E-E508-4584-8781-FB1CD3DF7208.jpeg81F61985-E04A-49D1-8810-0748D8DCF5FB.jpegE3532420-D7A7-4A33-8E66-EFFC53554D0F.jpeg

Personally I think it was a crime to dismantle as many railways as they did across the country, these days they are reinstating some of the routes at great cost, many areas would have far less traffic problems had they left the routes intact, some could of been mothballed until better solutions became available as steam was becoming expensive to operate for some of the smaller country routes, but sadly as soon as they closed them they ripped up the infrastructure.

They’re great to walk along, especially when you get to a cut or a high ridge. The station at Bakewell is still there and you walk between the two platforms as you can see in the photo’s.
We took some bikes last time we camped in Hurdlow in the Peak District, the distance you can get relatively quickly is amazing and I haven’t been on a bike for donkey’s years… probably won’t again anytime soon unless it’s electric:)
71512C97-A311-4129-9985-E6CF746214EA.jpeg71512C97-A311-4129-9985-E6CF746214EA.jpeg

Personally I think it was a crime to dismantle as many railways as they did across the country, these days they are reinstating some of the routes at great cost, many areas would have far less traffic problems had they left the routes intact, some could of been mothballed until better solutions became available as steam was becoming expensive to operate for some of the smaller country routes, but sadly as soon as they closed them they ripped up the infrastructure.
Yes, I totally agree that they were too quick to rip up the tracks. There are many different types of trains that can be run on the tracks; two car trains, even a one car train. You can even have a vehicle with two types of wheels, rail and highway. In rural areas, you can even have a system where trains can be flagged down anywhere up or down the track. But alas, the tracks are gone and the area was converted to bike/hike trails.

Back