Great fun

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Ever wondered where the aircraft that is flying high above your home is heading for,well this site will show you many of the commercial flights in real time, though sometimes the destination accuracy is way off, but all the same for free is can be fun,let me know what you think, and if you install to google maps plugin then you can get a cockpit view, you will notice this tends to stop just before the plane lands

http://www.flightradar24.com/

I can´t stop laughing, just as I was reading the first half line of the post, I heard a plane right above our house, very unusually low and noisy, I even went outside to have a look where it went. Completely wrong direction as well, very strange. We get them from two airports here, but they never come in from north and not as low as that. I should have a look at that site, Terry...!

Ever wondered where the aircraft that is flying high above your home is heading for,well this site will show you many of the commercial flights in real time, though sometimes the destination accuracy is way off, but all the same for free is can be fun,let me know what you think, and if you install to google maps plugin then you can get a cockpit view, you will notice this tends to stop just before the plane lands

I am just curious ****, I don't think I ever asked where in Germany do you live?

@ codfanglers:

I live between Cologne and Düsseldorf, so we can see planes heading for both airports, though only those for Düsseldorf are right above us when they set off. Those of Cologne are visible in the distance.

This was interesting indeed. We use to live close to an airport and at first we couldn't sleep at nights. Then after a while we got use to the noise. They seem so low you think they are landing in your back yard.

Neat! Surprised how few BA flights there are over Scotland at the moment though a bit of checking indicates SHT18Y is BAW1306 heading for Aberdeen? Was worried about an untagged flight heading for Glasgow but that seems to have landed. Not sure how to get this Google maps plugin.

@ codfanglers:

I live between Cologne and Düsseldorf, so we can see planes heading for both airports, though only those for Düsseldorf are right above us when they set off. Those of Cologne are visible in the distance.

It took the televised world basketball games to take place in Cologne for me to learn about the great Cologne Cathedral. I see you are also on the historic Rhine River.

I went to college in the city of Cincinnati which has a lot of German influences. There is an old historic neighborhood known as "Over the Rhine", but of course there is no actual Rhine.

Great site, if you look at the New York area right now you can see how the storm has affected flights. There is almost nothing flying that area.

The storm wasn't quite as bad as expected in the DC area. The canceled flights in the Northeast also had a rippled effect, causing many flights further west to be canceled as well.

@ codfanglers:

It took the televised world basketball games to take place in Cologne for me to learn about the great Cologne Cathedral. I see you are also on the historic Rhine River.

I went to college in the city of Cincinnati which has a lot of German influences. There is an old historic neighborhood known as "Over the Rhine", but of course there is no actual Rhine.

First, I´m glad you are alright and Sandy didn´t destroy your power supply!
"Over the Rhine"? How funny! I could send you some real Rhine water over in a bottle :D.
I never think about such things, but yes, of course, all those people who emigrated to the USA ages ago, they must have felt a bit homesick. Well, the Rhine is some miles away from here, I´m a bit east of it. But of course I have seen it often, especially when I went to university in Düsseldorf. Ah, so it´s called "Cologne Cathedral" in English, I have always been wondering about that ;). It´s Kölner Dom here (Köln being the German name of Cologne).

Ah, so it´s called "Cologne Cathedral" in English, I have always been wondering about that ;). It´s Kölner Dom here (Köln being the German name of Cologne).

I like it. From Wikipedia: "Cologne Cathedral (German: Kölner Dom, officially Hohe Domkirche St. Petrus, English: High Cathedral of St. Peter) is a Roman Catholic church in Cologne"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cologne_Cathedral

Love cathedrals and churches generally.

Ah, so it´s called "Cologne Cathedral" in English, I have always been wondering about that ;). It´s Kölner Dom here (Köln being the German name of Cologne).

I like it. From Wikipedia: "Cologne Cathedral (German: Kölner Dom, officially Hohe Domkirche St. Petrus, English: High Cathedral of St. Peter) is a Roman Catholic church in Cologne"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cologne_Cathedral

Love cathedrals and churches generally.

Thank you for the link, Big Unc! I had no idea it was our "most visited landmark". And I never thought how well known it might be. When I was a child, I once climbed up with my father, there was some platform outside and you had to walk the last few yards on the outside of it on an iron grid, quite an impressive view to see all the people wayyyy below under your feet. One of the bells is called "dicker Pitter" (Pitter being Cologne accent for Peter), it means "big Peter", it´s the largest bell in the world that swings freely. It´s enormous!! Last year it lost its clapper, imagine a thing like that falling down, but it has been fixed.

Thank you for the link, Big Unc! I had no idea it was our "most visited landmark". And I never thought how well known it might be. When I was a child, I once climbed up with my father, there was some platform outside and you had to walk the last few yards on the outside of it on an iron grid, quite an impressive view to see all the people wayyyy below under your feet. One of the bells is called "dicker Pitter" (Pitter being Cologne accent for Peter), it means "big Peter", it´s the largest bell in the world that swings freely. It´s enormous!! Last year it lost its clapper, imagine a thing like that falling down, but it has been fixed.

Wow! That is a big bell! I just views a few pics from Big Unc's last post.

Back