Great Video

That is a great video. Hearing Bill Owen talk in his natural voice is really a treat, and just makes me wonder why he chose to do a different accent for the anniversary special clips.

Nice to see all the cast Bill was born in London and probably would have had a cockney accent [certainly in some early films he always had a cockney accent ] assume at some point he developed the accent we see on the video. I was struck by Peter Sallis who seems embrarassed/put out by the whole episode especially when you see the cast posing for the photographs he seems almost annoyed whilst the rest seems at least to be smiling and in good cheer .

Thankyou for that Terry,that was wonderful,the reason I love to watch the film they show in the exhibition in Holmfirth is for all the clips like that.

Thanks for sharing that with us, Terry.
I had trouble identifying one of the people in the picture. He looked familiar but I couldn't put a name to him. Can anyone help?
It was the man on the far left, (as we look at the picture) with gray hair and beard - standing by Jean Alexander (Auntie Wainwright).

Thanks for sharing that with us, Terry.
I had trouble identifying one of the people in the picture. He looked familiar but I couldn't put a name to him. Can anyone help?
It was the man on the far left, (as we look at the picture) with gray hair and beard - standing by Jean Alexander (Auntie Wainwright).

Not sure he looks like the chap who had the device for magnetic fields,Compo called it a Uttoxeter

PHP:
Not sure he looks like the chap who had the device for magnetic fields,Compo called it a Uttoxeter

I think you may be right. It looks a lot like Kenneth Alan Taylor from the episode The Suit That Turned Left.

Any one else have any thoughts?

Great post Terry, loved it. I just wished Bill would have taken his coat off while taking the photos!! Everyone dressed up and he was bundled in a parka!

I thought it may be Brian Rawlinson [who appeared without the beard] who was Howard's rival for Marina in the glamour of the uniform and was prior to that again as a traffic warden when Edie parks her car illegally has the task of trying to move her on and ends up driving her around the shops.

I thought it may be Brian Rawlinson [who appeared without the beard] who was Howard's rival for Marina in the glamour of the uniform and was prior to that again as a traffic warden when Edie parks her car illegally has the task of trying to move her on and ends up driving her around the shops.

It could be him too. The eyes and eyebrows match. I'm not too sure about the height. However the beard line of Kenneth Alan Taylor does not match the man in the photo.

He also makes sense because they just finished the 1998 filming to be released in 1999. And Brian was in that season and Kenneth was not.

Was that a huge dent in the back or just shine?

It sure looks like a big dent, but there were so many reflections on the car, it's hard to be sure. Wouldn't think they'd use a car with such a prominent dent, yet it could have just happened.

It certainly looks like a dent to me! It looks the same for all of the time that it's in view, even though the angle of the light changes.

Last edited:
My money is on the car being clipped by a red open topped Triumph Herald driven by an elderly lady in a headscarf whilst on it's way to the presentation.

Back