Hello from Flat Cap

Flat Cap

Hello:

I'm a Last of the Summer Wine fan living in the US...Pennsylvania to be exact. Was introduced to the show five years ago or so via my local PBS station. (Public Broadcasting for those outside the US.) Have watched a lot of the old episodes via You Tube and own two DVD's.

Love the show. Love Clegg's flat cap and am actually looking for one just like it. Also am in the process of ordering a Compo cap that one of the members makes and posted for sale here via Etsy. (I have a message into her as I type this.)

See you around.

Flat Cap

Welcome Flat Cap, enjoy the forum. We're usually friendly ;).
We look forward to hearing your views on the show ;D

Welcome aboard Flat Cap, the caps are easy to find in the UK,not sure where you are,but you will be able to find one and get it posted,I see some on ebay uk that will ship worldwide,total with cap & postage around £10

Hey Flatcap! I am in Durham NC, not far south of y'all.

We have all the SW episodes on DVD, both oaf-ficial and
arti-ficial. Love them all.

Unfortunately our PBS station stopped carrying SW years ago.
Now we just get repeat after repeat of ATGB and That Bucket
Woman.

Welcome Mr. Flat Cap. I too like Clegg's cap. Look forward to hearing your views on this fabulous comedy. ;D

John

Welcome too.

I wear a flat cap - but beware a fearful glance from a difficult woman can take years of wear off of it!

A word of caution: just check if you order from a UK trader that the size is correct: hat sizes in USA are stated different from UK. (I used to work in menswear - my first career). 7 1/8 English is 7 1/4 American and so on.

Look forward to hearing from you

Hello, flat cap. My dad just got a new Clegg cap for his birthday. I know you'll enjoy the forum. As Susan says, we're usually friendly!!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Maltrab,

I will indeed check Ebay UK for some Cleggish flat caps. I found a business on Etsy that makes flat caps to order called Footloose Palouse. Price is reasonable. I sent them a pic. of Clegg's cap.

Thing is, I think his cap was a greyish blue in the earlier episodes and tan in the later ones. Can anyone shed any light on this? And is that a houndstooth pattern or something else?

Barmpot,

I will check with the seller if I order one from the UK to make sure I'm getting the right size. I'm just slightly bigger than 59 cm and so generally order 60 cm caps.

Hello Flat Cap, Fellow PA'er here. I live in Florida now but grew up in a small town near Pitt. Great site here and everyone is cool. I ordered the compo hat as well, like it much. Love to drive my wife nuts wearing it :D, she thinks I'm crazy, but I don't mind. Love LOTSW.
Glad you are aboard!

T....
Thing is, I think his cap was a greyish blue in the earlier episodes and tan in the later ones. Can anyone shed any light on this? And is that a houndstooth pattern or something else?

Barmpot,

I will check with the seller if I order one from the UK to make sure I'm getting the right size. I'm just slightly bigger than 59 cm and so generally order 60 cm caps.

probably is a houndstooth pattern with an overcheck, quite common in UK

see the link below which shows what I mean, not necessarily suggesting you buy from there but as a sample

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_418jblj0sa_b

fjs1981:

I grew up in Johnstown. Not an old textile mill town like Holmfirth but an old steel mill town. I tried to order the Compo cap from the member's Etsy site but I haven't heard anything from her as of yet. Maybe she stopped selling on Etsy. :-[

Barmpot:

I think you are correct about the colors of Clegg's cap. I ordered a tan one from Ebay UK and am in contact with a seller on Etsy called Footloose Palouse. They have a picture I took of Clegg's cap from the cover of the Andrew Vine book and they are searching for that pattern and color. It is definitely grey/blue with darker blue and brown checks. If it works out I'll post pictures for everyone to see. They're reasonably priced and hand made. I just hope they can locate a suitable pattern.

Thanks for the link to the tweed caps on Amazon UK. Never thought to search Amazon UK even though I buy from Amazon.com all the time. I might even be able to use my Amazon rewards points and snag myself a Clegg's cap for free! :)

Best,

Flat Cap

Hello and welcome, Flat Cap.

This is yet another native Pennsylvanian (from Lancaster) but I have been in the DC Suburbs for the last 7 years. I am glad to hear you have Summer Wine in Western Pennsylvania because throughout most of my life, I don't recall the Harrisburg or Philadelphia PBS stations ever carrying Summer Wine. I am a huge fan thanks to Maryland Public Television.

Good luck with the flat cap, Flat Cap.

awesome, grew up in ligonier. We used to head over to Johnstown to eat at Hoss' steakhouse. Small world. I didn't hear anything thing either, but I did get the tracking number once I ordered it. Talk soon.

awesome, grew up in ligonier. We used to head over to Johnstown to eat at Hoss' steakhouse. Small world. I didn't hear anything thing either, but I did get the tracking number once I ordered it. Talk soon.

Yes, I love Hoss' Steak House. For the Brit Brethren out there, it is a simple restaurant that serves a big steak, big burger, or other big sandwich with the "help yourself" soup, salad, and dessert bar. Just another example of good old fashioned American over-eating. Now I am hungry.

True. It is a small world,Codfanglers. Our PBS station dropped all Britcoms a few years ago. Stinks. I used to look forward to Saturday nights and Britcoms.

Our PBS station dropped all Britcoms a few years ago. Stinks. I used to look forward to Saturday nights and Britcoms.

Yep, here in Raleigh/Durham we just get repeat after repeat of
As Time Goes By and That Bucket Woman. Be nice to get
a change some time. Have not had a SW in years.

I just ordered two Summer Wine DVD's from Amazon. Here all the episodes are the newer ones and I prefer the one's with Compo, Clegg and either Foggy or Seymour. Although Frank Thornton is a good actor, they were getting on in years then and the show seemed to be shifting to other characters, out of necessity I'd imagine.

PBS does a poor job in general with British comedies. Repeat the same stuff year after year...Keeping up Appearances, As Time Goes By, Black Adder, etc. I never understood why BBC America didn't air more Britcoms, esp. the classics.

BTW, has anyone seen Two Old Guys? I think it was only made for a few years but it's enjoyable. Hyacinth Bucket's husband is one of the old guys.

Back