Hobdyke (Russ Abbot)

Cloggy

Dedicated Member
I know he came in for some criticism from some fans, but i liked him,
and Electric Entwistle and Alvin got some great laughs out of him.

Russ Abbott is a good funny man and a fine actor.

In fact he could play anything, and appear in anything, sadly under-used in recent years.

I think the character just needed a little tweaking, I don't think there was anything wrong with Russ' acting, I think the part was just over-written in places, and under-written in other places.

I do not dis-like his character. Just more partial to others at the moment. I have found that I do like his character more over time. I have enjoyed quite a few Russ Abbot shows long ago before I knew of Summer Wine.

Seymour was a little like that for me too at first. Took a bit to take a shine to him. Now I really like his character and wish he had more seasons with the show. I think some of my hesitation to the 'Hobdyke era' is that I know it is signaling the near end of the show itself. That things are coming to a final close. When watching the other characters I can blissfully know that there are many more episodes to go. Silly, possibly.

Post that on our Facebook group and you'd be knocked down in stampede. I didn't like him to be fair, I've liked Russ Abbott in other things but not in this and poor more oil on the water I didn't like Alvin either, I did like Entwhistle so hopefully that so be me saving grace.

Post that on our Facebook group and you'd be knocked down in stampede. I didn't like him to be fair, I've liked Russ Abbott in other things but not in this and poor more oil on the water I didn't like Alvin either, I did like Entwhistle so hopefully that so be me saving grace.

I love coffee, I love tea
I love the java jive and it loves me
Coffee and tea and the jiving and me
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup!

Coffee and Tea were a mooted replacement Police team for Cooper and Walsh if they decided to leave :08::fp:

I think some of my hesitation to the 'Hobdyke era' is that I know it is signaling the near end of the show itself. That things are coming to a final close. When watching the other characters I can blissfully know that there are many more episodes to go. Silly, possibly.

Can relate to that, think it is a good observation.

I liked him more than Truly to be honest. I would have liked to have seen him earlier in the show.

OH WOH, hang on a bit. Russ didn't write the character, that was down to the writer and the director. I wasn't really happy with Hobo but Russ is a very funny man. I think that Russ did an excellent job but the character, Hobo, was definitely OTT. I liked Alvin too, he was a good replacement for Compo. There is only one character I wasn't really happy with in the early days, and that was Compo. His character was a touch OTT but the character was much improved after the first few years. Actors do blend with the characters they are playing and they come across really well. My own particular favourite in LOTSW was lost after only a few years. He always looked so natural and was perfect for the part he played, Sid in the cafe. And our recent loss, Pearl, was an absolute gem.

One of my wife's favourite character was Robin Hood (Billy Hardcastle).
Yes I agree with Cloggy.. Shame he decided to leave.
As for Hobo I think he was a lot like Foggy in some of his mannerisms and lines
But as Peripherals comments about being the writer I agree with

All I would say Peri is did Roy Clarke consult with Russ Abbot before and during the script writing process asking for his input . I am sure in conjunction with Alan J W Bell and Russ Abbot , Roy Clarke would have undoubtedly discussed with both how the role would be portrayed . There are certainly large parts of Russ Abbot's stage persona and mannerisms that have been included in the way the shows unfold .

I personally thought Billy Hardcastle Character was one of the poorer characters, very one dimensional. Other than the jokes about 'his wife's sister' I cannot see what he added to the series.

Back