Hours of Fun

W

Who Is That Then

I just discovered this message board today and have spent hours just reading all these fascinating posts. Extremely interesting to a LOSW cuckoo like myself. A couple points:

I first discovered LOSW while on Christmas vacation in 2006 and accidentally came across it while channel surfing during the day. I couldn't stop watching it, I felt like I had entered a wonderful world. It took me a while to finally remember the character names. I first saw the series from 1991 with Foggy. And probably for that reason my favorite episodes all involve Clegg, Compo & Foggy. They run the show weekdays on the local Public Broadcasting channel here in my State in the U.S. I've been recording them on DVD ever since and have gotten the whole series now EXCEPT for some of the various "Specials" which for some strange reason this TV station consistently skips over. I've bought the commercial releases here in the U.S. and many of them do contain at least some of the "Specials".

By the way, I've never understood, why do they call them "Christmas Specials" when most of them have absolutely nothing to do with Christmas? I'm a big fan of One Foot In The Grave too and they do the same thing, call non-Christmas related "specials" "Christmas Specials". Odd but still great shows.

OK, my last comment. I love the whole series, esp. those with Foggy and with Seymour so, don't get me wrong, I do appreciate this series immensely. Only one thing has bothered me, and that is the "Getting Sam Home" film. First of all, I didn't laugh once during the entire time, I found it way too long, in fact I remember thinking "when is this going to end?" as I watched, and that's never a good sign for a show that's normally very entertaining. 2nd of all the characters themselves didn't act like themselves, Clegg was crude, a quality I've never seen him be, and Compo was very subdued and low key and needless to say, not funny. Even Foggy acted odd and out of character. I just found the whole movie closer to a drama than a comedy and the situations went on way too long, padding perhaps?, but overly long.

At any rate, out of the 100's of episodes to only not like one isn't a bad record. I do know from reading over messages here that some really do like "Getting Sam Home", maybe I just don't get it. I just really objected to the trio acting so startlingly out of character. Esp. Clegg and the underplayed serious minded Compo.

At any rate, I'm glad to be here and discover so many interesting notes and information about a show I am so enjoying. By the way, I am now up to Series 28, the next to last season of the program. I am not happy that Clegg and Truly have been reduced to cameo shot only but the show is still enjoyable with Ivy and Howard's scenes.

2nd:

Welcome W.I.T.T.
The only real reason they call them Christmas specials is they are shown as part of the Christmas/New Year schedules.
Hope you continue to enjoy the forum with what is a pretty good group of like minded people

Welcome W.I.T.T.
The only real reason they call them Christmas specials is they are shown as part of the Christmas/New Year schedules.

And we all used to look forward to them, it sometimes meant the next series would be shown soon after

Hope you continue to enjoy the forum with what is a pretty good group of like minded people

Welcome

I have to agree with George, the Specials meant another series due soon - although filmed at the same time, usually, as a series could eb separated by a week or even a month. The only time when a Special was not filmed with a series was when there was no series that year such as Getting Sam Home which was shown Decemebr 83, the previous series had been Jan- March 83, and the next series was in 85, preceded by a psecil in Decemebr 84.

I love getting sam home, its why I bought my first dvd of losw, but we are all different I suppose, thankfully ;)

Welcome to the site mate, everyone is friendly and pleasant on here, except Dick who cheats at quizzes....... ;D :eek:

George's jokes have been getting worse since he's been on a Whiskey diet. But we have to be there for him.. Welcome and glad you are enjoying yourself here.. Lots of fun for sure.... No better place to be..

George's jokes have been getting worse since he's been on a Whiskey diet. But we have to be there for him.. Welcome and glad you are enjoying yourself here.. Lots of fun for sure.... No better place to be..

My jokes aren't getting worse....your sense of humour is getting better :)

I love Getting Sam Home, I think you'd benefit from reading the book. It was righten with Blaymire in. Bill Owen had a fight on his hands to get that made. I think its great but it does differ from the series. And welcome to the group. :)

BTW I think they should have had Lily bless her in again.

Thank you all so very kindly for the warm welcome. I feel like one of the gang. A round for everyone, (now who's going to pay?) ;)
That reminds me, I have the exact same black coin holder that Foggy used to carry and open so reluctantly, a little black leather case that unfolds and holds change when you open the flap. I had bought that years ago but never saw anyone else use it till I saw Foggy. Maybe they're more common in Britain, they don't make coin holders as part of wallets anymore, I can't imagine why? People still use change so where do they keep it? In their shoe, I imagine. :-\

Welcome W.I.T.T.

Yes, Americans are deprived because they normally don't air the hour long episodes. The one I am most anxious to see is Last Post and Pigeon. I am personally waiting for the right moment to get a good deal on a package of Summer Wine DVDs. So until then I rely on Public Television. I will also wait for my kids to get older so I don't have to wait until late at night or early in the morning to watch them in peace!!!!!

Speaking of late at night, I find this show a perfect fit as the last show you watch before going to bed. It's gentle and funny and puts you in a good mind to go to sleep without worrying. I usually watch LOSW once a week on Monday nights just before I hit the hay.

Yes, the only hour or more long specials I have are the one's available commercially. I'll buy the commercially released season sets that are released here in the U.S. if they include a "Special" even though I have all the normal episodes from the set already. Those Specials are mainly what I'm missing. I did get one of the specials from a trade with a fellow collector but still there are a lot of "Christmas Specials" I've never seen. I read in the Vine Summer Wine book about that last special with Compo blowing the bugle etc., that's one I'd like to see too. But I'd like to see them all. Maybe one day I'll do another trade for the specials.

My jokes aren't getting worse....your sense of humour is getting better :)
[/quote

Thanks mate.. LOL

Thank you all so very kindly for the warm welcome. I feel like one of the gang. A round for everyone, (now who's going to pay?) ;)
That reminds me, I have the exact same black coin holder that Foggy used to carry and open so reluctantly, a little black leather case that unfolds and holds change when you open the flap. I had bought that years ago but never saw anyone else use it till I saw Foggy. Maybe they're more common in Britain, they don't make coin holders as part of wallets anymore, I can't imagine why? People still use change so where do they keep it? In their shoe, I imagine. :-\

With the recession the way it is a coin holder comes in more handy then one that hold notes.. LOL

I agree with Susan, another appearance by Lilly Bless Her to frighten the life out of Clegg could have been good.

That is mean, Chuff, Cleggy is busy enough with running away from Marina!

Oh, and welcome, W.I.T.T.!
I also love Getting Sam Home, but I see what you mean. It was written in the Blamire era like somebody pointed out already, and if you look closely, all these early Blamire episodes have Cleggy a bit different from how he was later. Compo was like he always was, but Clegg was cheekier and more couragious and a bit more mischievous then and he was more of a leading character than he was later when Foggy arrived and took the lead of the trio. Before that Cleggy was more the centre of the trio in my opinion. I also liked this other side of him, much better than the cowardly side in the late series´I must admit, that was over the top for him.

Heh! I know ****, but can you imagine the scenes had Lilly Bless Her gone after Cleggy with her enormous Boooosom! She was a big girl!
Cleggy would probably never left his house ever again!

LOL, especially not when you imagine Lily bumping into Marina outside Cleggy´s! I don´t dare to think what they would have done to each other. I can see him peeping through a gap in the curtains and then hiding somewhere upstairs :D.

Back