How do you pronounce it ??

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
My daughter and I are booked to stay in FOWEY in September .Every time I try to explain to anyone they always want to correct my pronunciation,I feel its pronounced FOY ! I 'm told no its FOW-EE . yet another is FOO-EE. I wonder if the honourable member from KERNOW can help me out please?:08:

A village up the road from us is called Peover. There’s Peover, Peover Superior, Peover Heath and Peover Inferior. I’m often stopped by someone looking for Pee-over and not Peever.
The nearby town of BOLSOVER is called by the locals as BOSER?

My daughter and I are booked to stay in FOWEY in September .Every time I try to explain to anyone they always want to correct my pronunciation,I feel its pronounced FOY ! I 'm told no its FOW-EE . yet another is FOO-EE. I wonder if the honourable member from KERNOW can help me out please?:08:
"FOO-EE"?? As in, "those excuses are a lot of phooey."

If we are looking at other pronunciation ,the one that always raises a smile is FEATHERSTONEHAUGH. Pronounced FANSHAW ??:confused2:
!! The post that you that you queried must be some kind of hiccup from my previous post !.You okayed that one all right.! ferret

We could almost start a list of how we pronounce local names. Not too far from me are Rainworth and Blidworth. Called by the locals as Renuth and Bliduth ! :confused2:

Back