Huddersfield Town poster in the cafe

Hi Folks,

Sorry if this has been covered before.

I am currently watching Series seven, episode six of LOTSW ( The Arts of Concealment ) on DVD, and I have noticed a poster in Sid and Ivy's cafe for a Huddersfield Town football match v Walsall to be played at Stompond Lane, and I am puzzled so I am hoping someone based in the West Yorkshire area can throw some light on the ground. I am aware that prior to moving to the John Smith's Stadium as it is currently named, Huddersfield Town played at Leeds Road.....but where/what is Stompond Lane ?

Over to you.

Not sure if this a false address or the fact there is a Stompond Lane, In Walton on Thames, which oddly enough has a football ground in it, the Walton and Hersham Football Club, I am wondering did the poster maker make it more interesting, or me not knowing anything about football, was it a match that would be played on another teams ground for some reason

In the days the episode was recorded Huddersfield and Walsall would both be in what was then the old division three so I can't see a match between them going ahead at non league Walton and Hersham FC in Surrey........perhaps the poster makers favourite club was Walton and Hersham so he cheekily put the name of their ground on it..............I am sure someone will have an answer !

In a similar vein in Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads its always implied that the boys are staunch Newcastle fans [episode where they avoid learning the score when Newcastle were playing in Europe and where Terry is arrested for fighting with Rangers fans [Newcastle played Rangers and there was a huge amount of trouble in Newcastle ]] .

Ian Le Frenais, one of the two writers, is a staunch Newcastle Fan but the set designer clearly wasn't . In one of the episodes when Terry is ill in bed and Bob comes to visit him there is a poster of Sunderland players on the wall behind the bed . I think it was the set designer winding up all the Newcastle fans who watched the show and of course the writer .

Yes, I've noticed that one too......me being a staunch SAFC fan and old enough to remember all the trouble Rangers caused in Newcastle.

I know of Ian's fanaticism towards NUFC........I was one of the people that organised the Auf Wiedersehen Pet 30th Anniversary bash at the Gateshead Hilton three years ago. Ian came over from the States for it and was delighted that it coincided with a NUFC home game !!

You probably guessed I was a Toon fan but just to say I have a group of long time friends we all go on holiday together , there are ten of us five toon fans , five Sunderland fans and there has never been a crossed word in all the years we go away . In fact a few years ago two drunken Toon fans tried to start something with one of the Sunderland guys when we were on our way back from York Races and it was we five Toon fans who stuck up for them and told the two Toon fans to basically not be so stupid which seemed to calm the situation . There will be no disdain or adverse comments from me you pin your colours to the flag of choice at an early age and that's an end to it.

What was the bash like imagine it would be a great night, the guys who starred in the show are clearly close and it's testimony to them that they all get together for the Sunday for Sammy concert year on year .

It certainly was a great night......Dick and Ian ( Clement and La Frenais ) flew in from the States where they now live, and we had as many of the cast as we could get attend etc....there is a DVD out of it all availaible from all the usual places !!!........I eventually got to bed at approx 5.30am.

Now back to the Stompond lane bit.......

Hello Chuck

Toon are Newcastle United Football Club , the word Toon is derived from Town . Newcastle folks have a saying " Am gannan doon toon" which is effectively I am going to town . Newcastle's ground is in the city centre so the term Toon was also applied to the team as in " Am gannan to see the toon" effectively I am going to see Newcastle United play . The use was enhanced when Sky Sports latched onto the word and started to use the term Toon Army for the collective Newcastle fans .

Back