Is it just me??...

I can't be the only one here who looks at houses for sale in Holmfirth and dreams...

Someone please tell me you do it too or I'm going to look like a right weirdo :29:

I don't think I would like to live in town because you are invaded on a regular basis by tourist buses and people who love the series even though there are few of the locations used in the show in Holmfirth itself, when compared with the other locations used in the series [have you looked at Terry's [Maltrab] wonderful map on the Main site [accessed from the Main site tab on here ] ] . We all have dreams about perhaps being part of our favourite shows or living in the area where they and other events take place.

Every weekend there are middle aged overweight Geordies, Brummies, Scousers and Cockneys who pull on a replica Football shirt , go to their team's ground and hope upon hope one of the players is taken ill at the last minute and the manager needs and urgent replacement and gives them the nod :):13:

I can't be the only one here who looks at houses for sale in Holmfirth and dreams...

Someone please tell me you do it too or I'm going to look like a right weirdo :29:

You're not the only one. I look for flats for rent, though, two bedrooms in order to accommodate my Anglophile friends one or two at a time. I currently live in a tourist area, and for the last few years I have visited Holmfirth at the height of the tourist season for about a week at a time. The tourist "invasion" of Holmfirth is extremely mild compared to my home area, so I don't find it at all troublesome.

It looks like an ideal place to live, and in the show it always looks so empty,when in reality it is a very busy place all year round, and sadly now appears to be a habitat for some of the more unruly crowd and those upto no good, I was tempted about 20 years ago and almost bought a house at the top of the steps near the Cafe, then the fact there was no car parking nearby and the thought of carrying heavy shopping up those steps in all weathers jolted me back to reality, the locals are great people and now seem to be fighting a battle to keep their town as it was in the 80's .

My husband has dodgy hips and knees (ex-rugby player). He said the hills in Yorkshire, along with the possibility of not being able to park right by the front door would see him off altogether :29:. The scenery is stunning though!!

Coverack is a beautiful place. There is a livecam from the Bay Hotel , I just had a look and wished I was there. Cornwall is going to be me and the wife’s destination in the not to distant future. You can stick London, I’ve had enough of it.

Occasionally, one of the flats in the old New Fold Mill building at the end of Lower Mill Lane becomes available for rent. There's a lift, and all except the top floor flats are step-free. They're very photogenic, but short of being there in person, there's no way to know if they're as nice as they look. There's at least one parking space per flat and no hills between there and the town center.

The old Bamforth's building, the tall derelict one, is currently being re-purposed for flats, and the long-term plan is to build a new block of flats on the empty land next door. That building will have tenant parking at ground level.

It looks like an ideal place to live, and in the show it always looks so empty,when in reality it is a very busy place all year round, and sadly now appears to be a habitat for some of the more unruly crowd and those upto no good, I was tempted about 20 years ago and almost bought a house at the top of the steps near the Cafe, then the fact there was no car parking nearby and the thought of carrying heavy shopping up those steps in all weathers jolted me back to reality, the locals are great people and now seem to be fighting a battle to keep their town as it was in the 80's .

Have you been following the reports of Holmepride on Facebook? https://www.facebook.com/fenellathetiger/ It appears to be a sizable group of enthusiasts who have done a lot of sorely needed clean-up and some beautifying and have more on their schedule. I wish I could be there to join in the work. Cleaning up is one of the first steps in discouraging the undesirable element. When a place looks cared for, the consequences of causing damage or otherwise misbehaving seem more serious than when it looks unkempt or dirty.

Though I have just read this in a Holmfirth page,which is a common event these days

Our house was broken into last night
1f622.png
they broke a few things and stole a brand new security camera system still in the box, waiting to be fitted. If anyone tries to sell you a security system at a price that seems too good to be true please let me know. Also, if you saw anything dodgy going on up Summervale last night please PM me!
Finally a big thank you to our lovely new neighbours and the police who have been great sorting it out.

Though I have just read this in a Holmfirth page,which is a common event these days

Our house was broken into last night
1f622.png
they broke a few things and stole a brand new security camera system still in the box, waiting to be fitted. If anyone tries to sell you a security system at a price that seems too good to be true please let me know. Also, if you saw anything dodgy going on up Summervale last night please PM me!
Finally a big thank you to our lovely new neighbours and the police who have been great sorting it out.

How sad! But that kind of thing can happen anywhere, except possibly in your gated community, Terry. I live in what's considered a good neighborhood, but we're not immune. The double deadbolts on my doors are all kept locked, even when I'm in the house and wide awake. The locked gate to my back garden was vandalized shortly after the fence and gate were installed. A little while ago half a dozen nearby cars had their tires slashed. People who have left their cars unlocked have had everything of value cleaned out. People here seem to think it's still the '60s when it was perfectly safe to leave the house and car unlocked day and night, anywhere in the village.

How sad! But that kind of thing can happen anywhere, except possibly in your gated community, Terry. I live in what's considered a good neighborhood, but we're not immune. The double deadbolts on my doors are all kept locked, even when I'm in the house and wide awake. The locked gate to my back garden was vandalized shortly after the fence and gate were installed. A little while ago half a dozen nearby cars had their tires slashed. People who have left their cars unlocked have had everything of value cleaned out. People here seem to think it's still the '60s when it was perfectly safe to leave the house and car unlocked day and night, anywhere in the village.

It appears the main reason for the surge in crime is the lack of any police to walk the beat at any time day or night, even patrols are scarce

It appears the main reason for the surge in crime is the lack of any police to walk the beat at any time day or night, even patrols are scarce

Same here. I haven't seen an officer walking a beat in something like 30 years.

I do the same as well. Maybe I can get in on some work visa or something sometime. Dual citizen or something :). The area that Doc Martin was filmed looks like a neat place as well.

I do the same as well. Maybe I can get in on some work visa or something sometime. Dual citizen or something :). The area that Doc Martin was filmed looks like a neat place as well.
Doc Martin was filmed in Port Isaac,Cornwall which you may already know. Thought I’d mention it because if any of you go there try the crab, it is the best I’ve ever eaten and I’ve had loads from all over the country. It comes straight off of the boats and is cooked straight away. Delicious

Back