Man's Work.

Pearl

Administrator
Staff member
Not wishing to start a world war of the sexes, I'm more thinking of older generation roles, in this house I'm quite traditional in my attitudes ( Stop laughing Dick) housework is still seen as my job with a sprinkling of help now and then but I suspect that is more down to not wanting to watch Judge Judy then modernisation so washing up is a way of getting out the living room. I know attitudes have changed, I'm told it's for the better but I think there's still a natural resistance to men dusting the telly and such so I'm wondering what is seen as his work and her work.

I was told the other that because they was a splash of milk at the bottom of the fridge I'd been "Lacking in my wifely duties" , yes he does still have a rush of bravado now and then and once he'd dodged the dish cloth and Pepsi bottle he cleaned it up. I don't mind it being my job but I'll not be told off for ever splash in the fridge.

Rug shaking is man's work apparently and cleaning windows too so what else is there?
I know in the States taking out the rubbish is man's work but here it's more a womans job.
Spider and moth removal is also mans work.

Hi Pearl. Mine will do the washing up but he is not very keen on dusting or hoovering, and when I ask him to give me a hand to change the duvet cover i need a crobar to get him out of the armchair, but he does take the rubbish out

Dare I, should I ?? Lets just say that my mum stopped " carrying " me when I was 14 and left me to find my way in the washing and housework world. It came in handy when herself was in bed with the new babies,(all born at home) and later when she was ill. I am not as quick as you Pearl but can get along nicely thanks. My son used to do the duvet for his mum if I was at work .Tall and long arms made it easier.

I must be an oddball because I do it all, have done since I was a teenager . My old dear was at work so I would hoover and dust to earn a few bob pocket money and if I wanted to go out I had to iron my own clobber [plus when I worked in the Tailors shop there was no one in the alterations bit so had to use the iron to press trousers /jackets for customers] . I guess I just carried on, effectively self sufficient . I inflicted the hoovering on myself because I bought a Dyson upright and its so heavy only I can manage to use it. My Mum is 91 so I also help her when I can changing the bed , hoovering is to heavy for her now .

Dare I, should I ?? Lets just say that my mum stopped " carrying " me when I was 14 and left me to find my way in the washing and housework world. It came in handy when herself was in bed with the new babies,(all born at home) and later when she was ill. I am not as quick as you Pearl but can get along nicely thanks. My son used to do the duvet for his mum if I was at work .Tall and long arms made it easier.
Hi Dick. Sound's like you are doing great, keep up the good work.:37:

I must be an oddball because I do it all, have done since I was a teenager . My old dear was at work so I would hoover and dust to earn a few bob pocket money and if I wanted to go out I had to iron my own clobber [plus when I worked in the Tailors shop there was no one in the alterations bit so had to use the iron to press trousers /jackets for customers] . I guess I just carried on, effectively self sufficient . I inflicted the hoovering on myself because I bought a Dyson upright and its so heavy only I can manage to use it. My Mum is 91 so I also help her when I can changing the bed , hoovering is to heavy for her now .
Well done that man

I have to say I'm rather impressed by the modern men here, back in the 70's when burning your bra was being born and equality was a twinkle in someones eye my dad used to cook Sunday dinner every week, both my parents worked so Saturday was dad's day off and Sunday was mam's so Sunday dinner was cooked by dad, when the kids at school found out about this it came as a shock to them because it wasn't "Normal" but my dad was quite a free thinking man, I'm sure it had something to do with him being a sailor either that or mam made him do it but all the same he did it and he's a great cook.

Captain, my dad bought an upright Dyson but found it very heavy even though it's on a ball so I ended up with a new Dyson :01: They are heavy but are great hoovers. :36:

I know every family says it but my old man was a good cook, especially at Christmas his stuffing was simply the best , the one regret I have is that I never got the recipe from him before he passed away , tried to recreate without success . I think having lived through the war when everyone mucked in cooking food just came naturally to him especially as ingredients were in short supply and you had to be inventive . Today there is no excuse there are recipes everywhere you look and its kind of a personal achievement if your food turns out nice and people enjoy it .

Couple things:

First, I do almost all the breakfasts here, and most of the
lunches as well. Wife is way better with dinners.

But every Monday here is Chore Day. Wife does the
laundry, while I do the house cleaning (dusting,
hoovering, etc). We finish pretty much together
for lunch and a martini.

chuck

I have wonderful memories of being awoken with the smell of bacon frying , my dad did Sunday morning breakfasts. His fried eggs were a joy, done in the bacon fat. There was no such thing as worrying about " cholestreol " in those days. ;)

Before cholesterol was invented you mean?

Before cholesterol was invented you mean?
Yes, cholesterol was certainly invented. There are only two reasons why people experience health problems. The first is that we eat too many processed foods which contain additives including hidden sodium and sugars. The second reason is that home cooked meals have almost become a thing of the past. The simple way to improve our health is to have home cooked meals.

home cooked meals have almost become a thing of the past

Not necessarily true. We cook in most (almost all) nights using mostly
local meats and veggies. When we come over to Yorkshire in May
we will eat some meals in the fine pubs, but we will also buy food
locally in the shops and cook in the places we stay.

Yes, cholesterol was certainly invented. There are only two reasons why people experience health problems. The first is that we eat too many processed foods which contain additives including hidden sodium and sugars. The second reason is that home cooked meals have almost become a thing of the past. The simple way to improve our health is to have home cooked meals.
Am not sure of the date -line Adenor but cholesterol was spoken of as a killer donkey's years ago. You were in danger from cholesterol if you had more than two eggs per week and could quite easily die from eating too much fat when I was a mere stripling 60 years ago. :confused::08:

I cook a mid day meal from scratch almost daily and try to vary it as much as possible.:42::thumbsup:

I cook a mid day meal from scratch almost daily and try to vary it as much as possible

Good on you Dick, my mum is the same refuses to eat ready meals and buys the raw ingredients to make real food she likes . I believe it acts as a spur for her to do things , keeps her active and some purpose to her day plus she knows what she is eating, which you never do with so called ready meals .

Back