McAfee

happyjack

Dedicated Member
Is anybody with MCafee through BT they are now changing to Norton for free. I am finding it near impossible to change.
Is it worth staying with McAfee who you get for Free with BT or changing to Norton who you have to pay? It seems obvious but.

Happyjack I am no expert but as a member of Which they just reviewed AV software. In free software Kapersky comes out top at 80% and Avast next best at 77% . In terms of paid Bitdefender is best at 83% with ESET next at 82% Norton 360 and McAfee come in at 79% and 78% respectively yet McAfee seems better at dealing with Android malware suspect Tony and Terry will have a view but hope that helps . You might me able to read the article as a non member of which but they tend to block off the key information.

Thanks Clutterbuck I will wait and see if Terry comes up with Any thing. Are the ones you have mentioned free?

Is anybody with MCafee through BT they are now changing to Norton for free. I am finding it near impossible to change.
Is it worth staying with McAfee who you get for Free with BT or changing to Norton who you have to pay? It seems obvious but.
Personally I have found that McAfee is as bad as a virus when it comes to removing it, with the need to go to the McAfee website and use their anti-virus removal tool, I have never been a fan of Norton due to it's very heavy drain on resources, which on some basic machines can cripple it.
Personally I have used Eset for many years with no issues, and recently upgraded to the version with a password manager which cost about £10 extra per year, and with Eset the more machine licences you buy and a 3 year period it works out about £12 per year per machine, they have a UK call centre with a standard telephone number and excellent tech support should you need them, try getting help from McAfee or Norton in a timely manner

The only reason I had McAfee is that it came with BT for and now they are changing to Norton for some reason.

The only reason I had McAfee is that it came with BT for and now they are changing to Norton for some reason.
It will be some sort of incentive for BT, the main High Street computer stores i.e. Curry will always favour by rotation one of these two companies, and a lot of it will be commission levels paid to them by the companies, Same with many PC's and laptops, they will come with one of these brands pre installed

It will be some sort of incentive for BT, the main High Street computer stores i.e. Curry will always favour by rotation one of these two companies, and a lot of it will be commission levels paid to them by the companies, Same with many PC's and laptops, they will come with one of these brands pre installed
Thanks I will give the

I have a problem with Mcafee . I one day got a reminder from them asking me to "renew". I deleted it but a couple of days later got another reminder but this time it was from M . C. a.f.e.e.. I have been getting these mails sometimes every other day each time a different spelling. I just keep deleting them. Hope fully they may get fed up !:confused2:

Yeah, was not a huge fan of Mcafee or Norton's. They both proved difficult to completely un-install more than they should have been. Not used either for a very long time.

My reservation on Kaspersky currently is that they are a Russian based company. There used to be a popular Chinese based AV company that I would also shy away from. The last two because of possible government involvement with the AV programs.

A couple articles popped up on my news feed this morning about the German government expressing concern over Kaspersky.

My laptop and wi-fi have been playing up these past few days too. Today it is beliving alot of web pages I regularly visit (including Summerwine.net and my Email account) are so called "phishing" pages and refusing me access to them, thus I have been through the "visit page anyway" option to get into them. There has never been any problems before and I normally have a completely reliable system. I do have a Kaspersky virus checker and adblocker, which I use as I could buy it with a one off payment, instead of the monthly subcription that Norton and McAfee offer. Would the Russians be trying to get control of my system?

Back