Missing dr who episodes

amos hames

Dedicated Member
With the discovery of missing Dr Who episodes I wonder what other shows have got missing episodes that have been lost. Maybe some Summer wine episodes we have never seen. Just a thought.

details might be nice!!

Some of my (grown) kids collect The Doctor and I try to provide.
What episodes are missing? And from where??

They were found in Nigeria in a bad condition. The episodes have not been seen since the sixties and star Patrick Troughton as the Doctor. I think they might be restored and then released.

I thought that back in the good old days they didn't always save or archive things, often taping over because of the cost? For a long time it didn't occur to any of the TV companies to save everything.

I seriously doubt that any LOTSW have been lost or never seen, although I have heard a rumour that the final two series have been buried in a secure vault with round the clock armed guards on instruction from MI5 for fear that Hobbo gave too much away.

According to one enterprising journalist (I forget which paper) who actually phoned the TV station in Nigeria, a shipping container with three tons of material was returned to the BBC at least three years ago.

It's apparently taken them this long to make any kind of official announcement so that the relevant material can be restored to as near broadcast standard as is possible. Rumours of missing episodes being returned have been circulating since at least April/May.

If memory serves, there are three B&W episodes of "Dad's Army" missing from the archives, most of the early "Steptoe & Son", and quite a few of "Hancock's Half Hour".

If memory serves, there are three B&W episodes of "Dad's Army" missing from the archives, most of the early "Steptoe & Son", and quite a few of "Hancock's Half Hour".

All of Steptoe and Son can be found on YouTube. They are all available on DVD as a box set as well. Most of the first six series are in black and white, I think it's the colour ones that largely didn't survive. First five series are black and white and two episodes from series 6 are colour. I watched every episode from start to finish over several weeks a while back. From what I can see there are none missing, just not all in colour.

Back